ADVERTISEMENT

Hilltoppers 42 Providence 0 End of Q3 nm

It's interesting how little double-wing JCA runs now. Aidan Voss is a legit dual threat QB. Not sure the Hiltoppers have ever had a QB who can do all that he can.

It's interesting how little double-wing JCA runs now. Aidan Voss is a legit dual threat QB. Not sure the Hiltoppers have ever had a QB who can do all that he can.
They’ve had those dudes and that’s not a knock on Voss at all.

Reactions: epicbret
Provi could have made the game interesting if they didn't turn the ball over. It seemed like the Celtics sold out to stop the run again like they did when Danny Sharp coached the Hill. That strategy was doomed when Voss took over in the 2nd quarter.

Provi could have made the game interesting if they didn't turn the ball over. It seemed like the Celtics sold out to stop the run again like they did when Danny Sharp coached the Hill. That strategy was doomed when Voss took over in the 2nd quarter.
Provi could have made it a closer score but JCA was far and above the better team IMO. And I was just a neutral observer.

They’ve had those dudes and that’s not a knock on Voss at all.
Have they though? Just looking over their QB’s over the last two decades…..the only ones with super high high school ceilings would seem to be Earl in 15, slowik in 11 and 12, and Maddie in 09. Maybe Ruettiger in 07, but they didn’t need to use his legs given the talent he had in the backfield with him and his big receiver targets. Slowik was a purely pocket guy and he had so much d1 talent at running back it would have been crazy not to run the double wing. Earl was agile but still more a pocket guy than dual threat. He could extend plays but he was never doing what Voss did tonight.
That leaves Maddie as maybe the only possible comp to what Voss can do. And even then he wasn’t the type to lower his shoulder like Voss did today. Maddie very much a dual threat and a great player, but man what Voss did tonight seemed on another level.

The Herald News game article. I do not think that this link requires a subscription.

Last edited:
Provi could have made it a closer score but JCA was far and above the better team IMO. And I was just a neutral observer.

IMO
Providence hasn’t been that good ever since LWE whooped them in 2005. They were a dominant program up until that game. It seems to me they have never been the same. Taking nothing away from JCA they are very good but I wouldn’t get to crazy. In no way do I believe JCA would beat LA.

Reactions: The Outfit
IMO
Providence hasn’t been that good ever since LWE whooped them in 2005. They were a dominant program up until that game. It seems to me they have never been the same. Taking nothing away from JCA they are very good but I wouldn’t get to crazy. In no way do I believe JCA would beat LA.
You really crack me up!
So the Providence 7A Championship squad in '14 (13-1) and 6A Runner Up squad in '09 (12-2) were not good teams because LWE put one on them but-good in '05?

Providence football has gone down dramatically since 05 but not because of lincoln way east. One they lost head coach matt senffner and not cogs has just not been a great replacement. Good guy but not a leader of a program. Two, the rising cost of tuition and marist going coed. Providence use to dominate oak forest tinley orland homer and even palos. No most of those kids either go to there local public school or marist.

Last edited:
Reactions: corey90
You really crack me up!
So the Providence 7A Championship squad in '14 (13-1) and 6A Runner Up squad in '09 (12-2) were not good teams because LWE put one on them but-good in '05
2005 is when it started, correct me if I am wrong but I don’t believe Providence has ever beat East? Also winning one championship time 11 years later would indicate they haven’t been the same. As another poster said their spiral down hill could have something to do with their coaches retirement.

Reactions: The Outfit
2005 is when it started, correct me if I am wrong but I don’t believe Providence has ever beat East? Also winning one championship time 11 years later would indicate they haven’t been the same. As another poster said their spiral down hill could have something to do with their coaches retirement.
Since you asked, I do not believe LWE has ever lost to Providence.
No need to add further comment to Chi-town Irish's spot on post.

Czart seems to have turned the Lockport football program around. That does not bode well for Provi in pulling kids from the Lockport / Homer Glen area moving forward. However, I was very impressed with their freshmen team. They didn't have big numbers, but they had high end talent. With this being Cogs last year, I was surprised their freshmen class is as good as it is.

Last edited:
Providence football has gone down dramatically since 05 but not because of lincoln way east. One they lost head coach matt senffner and not cogs has just not been a great replacement. Good guy but not a leader of a program. Two, the rising cost of tuition and marist going coed. Providence use to dominate oak forest tinley orland homer and even palos. No most of those kids either go to there local public school or marist.

Both good men mentioned in the quote. And the latter did more recruiting and trying to get talent into the program than the other.

So why the drop? Does One man doesn’t carry the load but simply the responsibility as well when it takes many to run a program?

they have had mad turnover in key positions through out the coaching staff. Something the Great programs don’t. They have had issues in the building no one can control either.

BUT what raises the RED flag is their big time players leaving! The Mt Carmel transfer leaves an HOF coach and the alleged high profile coach of the wrestling program for a long long ride. The running back leaves for a more loaded roster at Bro Rice?

In my less than humble opinion The new coach needs to come in clean house except for the two line coaches and settle his coaching staff with hard core PC guys. Numbers is the new battle. Safety in numbers. You always can find some talent with 50-60 kids on Frosh team.

that said there is fear in the name being thrown around and hearing it’s a done deal as to who will take over the program. Not sure most of the alum from 20-30 years ago will like it! Then again when have they ever cared what those guys like. Unless their writing tuition checks of course!!

IMO
Ok but the conversation was never about JCA/LA.

So why the drop? Does One man doesn’t carry the load but simply the responsibility as well when it takes many to run a program?

they have had mad turnover in key positions through out the coaching staff. Something the Great programs don’t. They have had issues in the building no one can control either.

BUT what raises the RED flag is their big time players leaving! The Mt Carmel transfer leaves an HOF coach and the alleged high profile coach of the wrestling program for a long long ride. The running back leaves for a more loaded roster at Bro Rice?

In my less than humble opinion The new coach needs to come in clean house except for the two line coaches and settle his coaching staff with hard core PC guys. Numbers is the new battle. Safety in numbers. You always can find some talent with 50-60 kids on Frosh team.

that said there is fear in the name being thrown around and hearing it’s a done deal as to who will take over the program. Not sure most of the alum from 20-30 years ago will like it! Then again when have they ever cared what those guys like. Unless their writing tuition checks of course!!
Oh man, now I’m intrigued. Does fratboy have the inside track to the new PC HC job? Trying to think of who a character may be from the 90s and early 00s who has connections to PC but wouldn’t garner support from the alums. Will be interested to hear.

as for the game, PC just didn’t match up well or play well. JC played well and can be dominant. That said, if Rochester happens to drop down to 4A, PC is still a leading contender in that wide open 5A . There just isn’t much else. Don’t sleep on mascoutah. Sycamore, Marmion, and fenwick all pretty good teams. But really any of those top 5 to 10 have as good a shot as any other one. If Rochester is 5A, they are likely the leading contender.

4A with SHG, JC, St Francis, etc could be interesting if those squads all meet up. Rochester would make it even more interesting.

really it’s interesting that, had JC petitioned up to 5A, there is a possibility that the three best opponents they could see in 4a could be better than anyone they would see in 5A

Last edited:
Reactions: NapervilleBuck
Have they though? Just looking over their QB’s over the last two decades…..the only ones with super high high school ceilings would seem to be Earl in 15, slowik in 11 and 12, and Maddie in 09. Maybe Ruettiger in 07, but they didn’t need to use his legs given the talent he had in the backfield with him and his big receiver targets. Slowik was a purely pocket guy and he had so much d1 talent at running back it would have been crazy not to run the double wing. Earl was agile but still more a pocket guy than dual threat. He could extend plays but he was never doing what Voss did tonight.
That leaves Maddie as maybe the only possible comp to what Voss can do. And even then he wasn’t the type to lower his shoulder like Voss did today. Maddie very much a dual threat and a great player, but man what Voss did tonight seemed on another level.
The last and in my opinion best dual threat QB was Sopko. Do not know how he isn’t mentioned in the discussion. He was 60 runner and 40 passer. When you got a kid like that ya hope he doesn’t hurt ya. Sopko NEVER DID!

Competing with Marist and then throw in the Linc Ways
Tough gig
Yeah but your start competing with them on the TOP of the mountain! Not like Bro rice, St Larry, ir the others! Remember back in late 90’s when Marist could not buy a win????
Mark. I am gonna make a BOLD statement… if the Nuns @ Marian Catholic loosen up a little. That place is a GOLD MINE! I see HF dropping off and the Rich Township schools having the potential to lose talent! With the RIGHT person… Marian could be right up there with the BIG BOYS

Oh man, now I’m intrigued. Does fratboy have the inside track to the new PC HC job? Trying to think of who a character may be from the 90s and early 00s who has connections to PC but wouldn’t garner support from the alums. Will be interested to hear.

as for the game, PC just didn’t match up well or play well. JC played well and can be dominant. That said, if Rochester happens to drop down to 4A, PC is still a leading contender in that wide open 5A . There just isn’t much else. Don’t sleep on mascoutah. Sycamore, Marmion, and fenwick all pretty good teams. But really any of those top 5 to 10 have as good a shot as any other one. If Rochester is 5A, they are likely the leading contender.

4A with SHG, JC, St Francis, etc could be interesting if those squads all meet up. Rochester would make it even more interesting.

really it’s interesting that, had JC petitioned up to 5A, there is a possibility that the three best opponents they could see in 4a could be better than anyone they would see in 5A
INSIDE TRACK??? No it’s a done deal! DARE. I MAKE THE ANNOUNXEMENT BEFORE THE PATCH, Herald NEWS OR YOUR LOCAL CABLE?

The last and in my opinion best dual threat QB was Sopko. Do not know how he isn’t mentioned in the discussion. He was 60 runner and 40 passer. When you got a kid like that ya hope he doesn’t hurt ya. Sopko NEVER DID!
My post was looking at qb’s over the last two decades. Sopko last played in fall of 99. If anything, I could probably include bourg from the 2003 team at the very beginning of the current 20 year stretch.

True, but that gave Corey a way to weave the LWE Griffins into another thread.
As I knew it was on the mark I had intended to include this clip with the previous post but at the time I did not have the time to track it down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT