ADVERTISEMENT

Hilltoppers 31 Marist 30 2OT FINAL

Feels weird saying this but if Marist learned how to cover the pass after last year’s game they will be in good shape.

I'm not sure I can ask this question without choking, but is it possible JCA went to the pass a little too much in the beginning of the 1st half?

Reactions: pjjp
How are you holding up with games like tonight and fenwick?!
Not bad, since the Hilltoppers were able to find a way two weeks in row. Fenwick missed a FG after hitting an upright last week. Marist missed the extra point in the second OT after hitting an upright. Ya gotta believe.

Reactions: UAGoofy
That was a huge win. JC just sucked it up and found a way to win. Almost found a way to pull it out at the end of regulation on a ridiculous catch that got negated by a penalty.

For all the positives the Hilltoppers showed and the gutsy effort it was by both teams, I am sure Marist will watch film and wonder what the heck happened in the second half. With them up 17-7 and controlling the game, I don't think anyone was predicting a comeback there from the offense.

And man, that defense. Take away one broken play on 4th and a long goal in the first quarter and the one 80 yard run and they were stingy as heck. I know the scoreboard shows them giving up a good number of points in 2OT, but they found a way to make it hard against a really good offfense and came up with big stop after big stop and some timely turnovers.

Defense seems to be championship caliber. Offense showing signs of life.

Reactions: rjjtwest and USD24
Jaws was so smart in the first OT in taking the ball when he won the toss. The Marist D had already been on the field a long time and were gassed. First play —TD.
Was very surprised that Marist did not go for 2 on either OT TD. With that QB and #7 running it seemed a good bet.
Huge win. Now need to find 2 more to assure a playoff spot. But, let’s enjoy Homecoming!

Was at the game last night. Homecoming for JC which added a little extra buzz for an old ESCC matchup that hasn’t happened in awhile. Marist had plenty of opportunities to put them away. I thought JC was passing too much and once they found marists holes the double wing settled in and wore out the RedHawks. JC simply was not to be denied. Tough first loss for Fitz against a rival. GREAT high school football game.

Was at the game last night. Homecoming for JC which added a little extra buzz for an old ESCC matchup that hasn’t happened in awhile. Marist had plenty of opportunities to put them away. I thought JC was passing too much and once they found marists holes the double wing settled in and wore out the RedHawks. JC simply was not to be denied. Tough first loss for Fitz against a rival. GREAT high school football game.
They played last year in another thrilling JC win. Though not as thrilling as last night.

Agree that they tried to go to the pass a bit too much. When they started consistently running on all downs, they started moving the ball. The pass game yielded lots of open receivers but way too many drops or near misses.

It will be a fine balance. Pass enough to keep a defense honest but not too much because you don't want to get away from what you do best.

Jaws was so smart in the first OT in taking the ball when he won the toss. The Marist D had already been on the field a long time and were gassed. First play —TD.
Was very surprised that Marist did not go for 2 on either OT TD. With that QB and #7 running it seemed a good bet.
Huge win. Now need to find 2 more to assure a playoff spot. But, let’s enjoy Homecoming!
I didn't even realize that JC won that toss. I thought because they were on offense first, they must have lost the toss. But if they won and took offense, that was a brilliant move that coaches rarely use. Yes, the Marist defense was on the field almost the entire fourth quarter it seemed like, much of it backed up to their own end zone.

As they strolled into the end zone on both OT scores, I thought to myself "this defense is completely spent."

Reactions: USD24
That was some game for sure.
Marist is a very good team.
With ICCP, Providence, Iggy, Marmion & NND left on the schedule it is conceivable that they could run the table, or go 4-1.
They will get a favorable playoff seed and could go deep in November.
The Hilltoppers have some tough sledding ahead but I can’t help but view them as an awkward, somewhat clumsy teenage boy who grows into himself.
The boys will certainly be battle-tested come playoff time.

Last edited:
That was some game for sure.
Marist is a very good team. With ICCP, Providence, Iggy, Marmion & NND left on the schedule it is conceivable that they could run the table, or go 4-1.
They will get a favorable playoff seed and could go deep in November.
The Hilltoppers have some tough sledding ahead but I can’t help but view them as an awkward, somewhat clumsy teenage boy who grows into himself.
The boys will certainly be battle-tested come playoff time.
With the way the teams are slotted this season it's almost like the NFL now, so many close games that come down to wire.

They played last year in another thrilling JC win. Though not as thrilling as last night.

Agree that they tried to go to the pass a bit too much. When they started consistently running on all downs, they started moving the ball. The pass game yielded lots of open receivers but way too many drops or near misses.

It will be a fine balance. Pass enough to keep a defense honest but not too much because you don't want to get away from what you do best.
They did? Damn must’ve blocked it out haha

They did? Damn must’ve blocked it out haha

They played last year!? I must block out Marist losses to teams that wear brown. Haha

Where did the idea that JCA won the coin toss for OT come from? It sure seems that is not the case. First of all, all this praise for going first against a tired defense is crazy. The huge advantage of going second and knowing whether the other team got 0,3,6,7,or 8 points is much more important than depriving a tired defense of a couple of minutes of rest. I have never seen or heard of a team going on offense first when they have the option. That is because it is a horrible idea. As for this game specifically, if JCA actually won the coin toss and made the selection for the first overtime, that means Marist would have had the choice for the second OT. What did Marist do in the second OT? They were on offense first. Therefore, this game would have had to have BOTH head coaches choose to go on offense first when faced with the option. Why the hell would Marist choose to go on offense first in the second OT? It sure seems to me both teams went on defense first when given an option. Which is exactly what they should do. Every time.

• Wow
Reactions: UAGoofy and k1867
Where did the idea that JCA won the coin toss for OT come from? It sure seems that is not the case. First of all, all this praise for going first against a tired defense is crazy. The huge advantage of going second and knowing whether the other team got 0,3,6,7,or 8 points is much more important than depriving a tired defense of a couple of minutes of rest. I have never seen or heard of a team going on offense first when they have the option. That is because it is a horrible idea. As for this game specifically, if JCA actually won the coin toss and made the selection for the first overtime, that means Marist would have had the choice for the second OT. What did Marist do in the second OT? They were on offense first. Therefore, this game would have had to have BOTH head coaches choose to go on offense first when faced with the option. Why the hell would Marist choose to go on offense first in the second OT? It sure seems to me both teams went on defense first when given an option. Which is exactly what they should do. Every time.
I remember watching the 1st OT coin toss. Obviously I couldn't tell very much from a streaming video, but the coin was tossed, then there was friendly pointing and teams lining up. At that instance I heard the young announcers say that JCA won the toss and elected to go on offense first.

Other than that I read a few other people say the same thing in posts.

AKA: I have no clue who won the toss.

Not sure on the toss I was taking a piss. Marist was wiped out on defense so it’s possible. I just like some chatter on a half/marist thread good or bad. Not a school that drives much talk w Edgy.

And one final thought before we all move on to rankings and next week. Marists most critical mistake IMO was calling timeout when JC was lining up for the game tying FG. 4.0 was on the running clock and the kick would’ve gone at the horn. High school football is notorious for clock management and stress.

Where did the idea that JCA won the coin toss for OT come from? It sure seems that is not the case. First of all, all this praise for going first against a tired defense is crazy. The huge advantage of going second and knowing whether the other team got 0,3,6,7,or 8 points is much more important than depriving a tired defense of a couple of minutes of rest. I have never seen or heard of a team going on offense first when they have the option. That is because it is a horrible idea. As for this game specifically, if JCA actually won the coin toss and made the selection for the first overtime, that means Marist would have had the choice for the second OT. What did Marist do in the second OT? They were on offense first. Therefore, this game would have had to have BOTH head coaches choose to go on offense first when faced with the option. Why the hell would Marist choose to go on offense first in the second OT? It sure seems to me both teams went on defense first when given an option. Which is exactly what they should do. Every
jca won the coin toss bud, it’s kinda on video!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT