ADVERTISEMENT

Hilltoppers 28 ND 0 FINAL nm

Sad times in Niles. 28-0 at half. On our way to a mind-boggling fourth straight shutout.
For the first time in over 40 years, I didn’t attend this game, I didn’t watch the stream, I didn’t look for updates on Edgy Tim. Until we decide what we are going to do with football, I will not be an active participant.

Reactions: DeanOfSelection
For the first time in over 40 years, I didn’t attend this game, I didn’t watch the stream, I didn’t look for updates on Edgy Tim. Until we decide what we are going to do with football, I will not be an active participant.
Is it time for a younger coach with a fresher offensive mind? I wouldn't recommend the band aid rip MC did with Lenti, but I can't believe he still likes coaching 😀

Is it time for a younger coach with a fresher offensive mind? I wouldn't recommend the band aid rip MC did with Lenti, but I can't believe he still likes coaching 😀
In my humble opinion, Mike Hennessy might be the second most important person in the history of the school behind Fr. Smyth. He’s Frank Lenti minus the incredible success that Lenti had at MC. With that being said, if MC could rip the band aid with one of the most successful coaches in the history of Illinois high school football, there’s no reason ND couldn’t do the same. I’m not advocating for that but it could be done.

You mentioned younger, you’d be hard pressed to hire someone older at this point. I’m not against someone older as long as they’d win. Brings me to the point of all of this. Who do you hire? The heir apparent is Dan DiFranza the DC who has been coaching at ND for 30 years? I love Dan, he’s a great guy but does he want it? Would we be better going with a completely new regime? I personally believe a completely new regime is the way to go.

If ND decides that a new regime is the way to go, who do we hire. I’d honestly love to hear opinions on who are the hot prospects . I believe ND can win big , I believe we are a sleeping giant with the right guy. Tell me Edgy nation who that guy is.

In my humble opinion, Mike Hennessy might be the second most important person in the history of the school behind Fr. Smyth. He’s Frank Lenti minus the incredible success that Lenti had at MC. With that being said, if MC could rip the band aid with one of the most successful coaches in the history of Illinois high school football, there’s no reason ND couldn’t do the same. I’m not advocating for that but it could be done.

You mentioned younger, you’d be hard pressed to hire someone older at this point. I’m not against someone older as long as they’d win. Brings me to the point of all of this. Who do you hire? The heir apparent is Dan DiFranza the DC who has been coaching at ND for 30 years? I love Dan, he’s a great guy but does he want it? Would we be better going with a completely new regime? I personally believe a completely new regime is the way to go.

If ND decides that a new regime is the way to go, who do we hire. I’d honestly love to hear opinions on who are the hot prospects . I believe ND can win big , I believe we are a sleeping giant with the right guy. Tell me Edgy nation who that guy is.
I could not disagree more emphatically. All due respect to Coach Hennessy, but it is 5-10 years past time for him to hand the keys over. He has earned the respect he has been given, but someone has to step up and have the difficult conversation no one has been willing to have with him. It is way past time. Kids are not going there because of the football-that is a BIG problem.

That said, Dan DeFranza has way more than earned the nod. If you or anyone else who has any decision making juice at ND doesn’t think so…there’s another old school ESCC school who will gladly bring him aboard!

I could not disagree more emphatically. All due respect to Coach Hennessy, but it is 5-10 years past time for him to hand the keys over. He has earned the respect he has been given, but someone has to step up and have the difficult conversation no one has been willing to have with him. It is way past time. Kids are not going there because of the football-that is a BIG problem.

That said, Dan DeFranza has way more than earned the nod. If you or anyone else who has any decision making juice at ND doesn’t think so…there’s another old school ESCC school who will gladly bring him aboard!
I’m not sure what you’re emphatically disagreeing with me on. I basically said it’s time to pull the band aid as Mc Caravan cautioned against.

I agree with you that Dan has way more than earned the nod. I’m not sure if Dan wants it. I’m not even sure if that’s the way to go. Dan is in his mid 50’s? He’d be looked at as a continuation of the current regime in my opinion. I wonder if a completely new regime is the way to go. I’m open to any opinions.

4 straight shutouts? Whoa. I didn’t realize that. I’ll never say a bad word about Coach Hennessey. I respect him greatly. I coached his kids. He has been there forever though. I remember him coming to my grammar school house league to pitch the ND program…. and I’m nearly 50! I hope they can find some success and he can go out on his own terms.

Reactions: eireog
I was wondering about the history at Niles Notre Dame. Now I know a little. Where do the best players go? What about St. Pat's?

Last edited:
I was wondering about the history at Niles Notre Dame. Now I know a little. Where do the best players go? What about St. Pat's?

St pats has strong lower levels. They started getting kids from Windy City dolphins and Leyden bears. Those are kids that traditionally went to Iccp. I think between the 2027 and 2028 class they have 10 kids from the dolphins.

their is a lot of competition for kids. The suburbs nd surrounds have string public schools. Plus you are competing with Loyola, DePaul prep, pats and Taft for kids that want to go to a private school. Then you also have to factor in the increase of cost of living and people can’t afford to send their kids to a private school.

My feelings on it are complicated. Coach Henn has meant so much to the school and community. He has been an excellent AD over the years and truly loves ND. To say his retirement is 5/10 years overdue is wrong, imo. Six years ago, they were one play away from a state championship appearance (heartbreaker). Five years ago, they put up a valiant fight in the 2nd rd of an 8A game vs one of the best LWE teams we've seen. Just two years ago, they made it to the state quarters.

At the same time, they are the largest all-boy school in the state. There's no excuse for four shutouts in a row. Chris James and Ty Gavin were gamebreakers and rare talents for ND, sure. But to be completely lackluster on the offensive side of the ball for the 2nd year straight is hard to excuse. And the lower levels aren't looking great. DeFranza is the obvious next choice, but that really doesn't do much for the offensive side of the ball. I don't know, I am kind of at a loss. I'll continue to support the program and the school, both financially and volunteering, of course. But this season (and last season)...man.

I say the the same thing about the basketball program, which has really fallen off the past 2/3 years after being a top 25 level program from 2014-2021 (or so). Hey, the soccer program has risen from relative obscurity to becoming a legit state contender every year!

Reactions: RockSoup and eireog
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT