ADVERTISEMENT

Hilltoppers 21 Marist 20 FINAL

A win is a win.
Very uncharacteristic but a win it is.
4-2 with 3 to go is much better than 3-3.

Last edited:
I watched most of the game - was a very good game. Marist D really let em down (although JCA QB made some nice throws on last drive). JCA almost blew it on kickoff going short and Marist kid ran it to JCA 41 with 37 secs and a couple of timeouts. Marist got close but again another loss and no playoffs this year unless they accept a Prep Bowl bid. Marist has some nice underclass talent but will need a QB to step up.

Uncharacteristic?? How so?
Well, this game was the complete inverse of the Rita and SF games.

For 2.5 plus quarters JC outplayed SR and SF and then through a combination of poor decisions, miscues, and opportunistic plays by the trailing team, they blew the game.

Here JC was clearly outplayed for the first half and much of the third quarter. But their defense came through in the second half and the offense did what it needed at a high leverage time.

So total inverse of those two previous collapses.

Have to feel for Marist with how much this game meant to them and how good they looked and how bad JC looked in the first half. They absolutely manhandled JC in the first half.

That last play call was crazy though. 7.5 seconds to go from the 45 and just needing a field goal and you run around in the backfield for a few seconds and then throw the ball 30 yards downfield into the middle of the field. I think the Marist receiver realized a split second too late that he could have intentionally fumbled backwards to a teammate and kept hope alive. But still, if you're going to go deep down the middle in that situation, it really should be a hail mary to the end zone and not a throw to the 10-15 yard line.

Not a clue why Marist just let JCA run the clock down like that. Could have used some extra time there at the end, but the RedHawks will take those two timeouts with them instead.

Not a clue why Marist just let JCA run the clock down like that. Could have used some extra time there at the end, but the RedHawks will take those two timeouts with them instead.
Did the game end with Marist having 2 Timeouts left? If so then man that last 30 seconds in JCA territory was poorly played

Reactions: McCaravan
Did the game end with Marist having 2 Timeouts left? If so then man that last 30 seconds in JCA territory was poorly played
I believe so. And with a 30 yard heave to the 12 yard line when there were 7.5 seconds left at the start of the play. Kid caught it and was tackled near the 6-7 yard line.

WIth timeouts and 7.5 seconds you can easily run an intermediate 10-20 yard route to set something up. Either that or a 45 yard Hail Mary. A time consuming 30 yard pass downfield is really the only thing you do not want to do.

I can sympathize. We had somewhat similar mental blunders in a few games this season.

I WOULDE BE CURIOS TO SEE THE ACTUAL BOX SCORE WITH ALL OF THE INDIVUAL STATS.

IF SOMEONE SEES THEM SOMEWHERE PLEASE POST. MARIST QB HAD 3 OR 4 LONG RUNS ON KEEPERS- HOW MANY YARDS DID HE END WITH? JC QB PASSING STATS?

Reactions: CatholicHigh41
Jca certainly has their share of injuries as of late. A defensive tackle is out with a bone chip in his elbow, a corner back had his appendix removed, offensive tackle out with a knee problem, another offensive guard injured his ankle in the 2nd half and left the game. I'm pretty sure Grigsby was playing hurt and not 100 per cent. Munoz delivered a gutsy performance at qb and saved the day. Receivers played great and the fullback delivered too. A come from behind win against a solid 8a team on the road is nothing to sneeze at.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT