ADVERTISEMENT

Highland/JCA

And yet, they never won a championship.
Yep. 2009 was the fumbles against montini.
2010 was the debacle against richwoods.
2011 was the shootout vs montini. We had the ball on the 1 with a second and goal looking to go up 2 scores in the 2nd and inexplicably threw an int in the end zone with 2 d1 backs in the backfield.
2012 was blowing a 17 pt lead to montini in the 4th quarter in the semis

Ugggh

How many teams are in your conference? How many teams won those 7 state championships? My guess would be JC early and Naz as of late will have most if not all of those championships. I don't buy into the conference strength or weakness as each team is different each year. Unless you are person that can get out and actually see games in other conferences, your opinion is bias to what you see. The "strength" of the conference will have absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of the game this weekend.
The strength of the conference/schedule is the only thing that indicates a 7-4 team could be competitive with an 11-0 team that has allowed no one closer than 21 points.

I feel this game is a toss up. If you run both of their schedules through CalPreps, their records flip flop (JCA 11-0 and Highland 7-4). The two big factors will be weather and if Highland gets down early. Highland has enough of a short passing game, quick screens and runs that they can overcome the wind unless it is just howling. I don't know if they can overcome being down early in the game. If JCA smells blood in the water and is up by 2 or 3 touchdowns, it could get ugly.

Speaking from a JC perspective, the teams from the south who have not done well in head to head match ups include Washington, Normal, ESL, Metamora, SHG, Taylorville, Cahokia, among others. Since 1990 JCA is 31-1 vs teams from the south in the playoffs, while outscoring them by a 41-14 average. Their only loss was in the quarterfinals to Richwoods in 09. I am aware that none of that comes into play this year, but the fact of the matter is teams from the south have not had much luck vs the Hilltoppers.
Yes
I feel this game is a toss up. If you run both of their schedules through CalPreps, their records flip flop (JCA 11-0 and Highland 7-4). The two big factors will be weather and if Highland gets down early. Highland has enough of a short passing game, quick screens and runs that they can overcome the wind unless it is just howling. I don't know if they can overcome being down early in the game. If JCA smells blood in the water and is up by 2 or 3 touchdowns, it could get ugly.
How well do you guys think Highland will travel on Saturday. Are you anticipating a big turnout on the visitors side?

Yes

How well do you guys think Highland will travel on Saturday. Are you anticipating a big turnout on the visitors side?

I’d assume they will travel well. Those stands are so big unless they are full it always looks like a smaller turnout then it actually is.

They should travel well. I think they had a big turnout when they played Rochester last year. I would think that they are more confident in this game than last year.

Speaking from a JC perspective, the teams from the south who have not done well in head to head match ups include Washington, Normal, ESL, Metamora, SHG, Taylorville, Cahokia, among others. Since 1990 JCA is 31-1 vs teams from the south in the playoffs, while outscoring them by a 41-14 average. Their only loss was in the quarterfinals to Richwoods in 09. I am aware that none of that comes into play this year, but the fact of the matter is teams from the south have not had much luck vs the Hilltoppers.
Let’s keep ESL out these petty comparisons. We are definitely on a different level and all teams up north cringe when the Orange and Blue comes to town..

Yep. 2009 was the fumbles against montini.
2010 was the debacle against richwoods.
2011 was the shootout vs montini. We had the ball on the 1 with a second and goal looking to go up 2 scores in the 2nd and inexplicably threw an int in the end zone with 2 d1 backs in the backfield.
2012 was blowing a 17 pt lead to montini in the 4th quarter in the semis

Ugggh
What burns me is we had never been losing to bronco at half. Think about that.

Highland getting manhandled so far. O-line dominating up front. Iannotone TD run on 3rd play. 5 plays, 5 runs.
Two 3 and outs for highland so far.

7-0 JCA 7:02 left in 1st

Reactions: ThunderPapa
End of Q1. 7-0 JCA. On highland’s 1 yard line though. One pass play. The rest runs so far. Ground and pound and no reason to stop so far.

Highland forced a fumble!!!!
Highland has ball on their own 1. Still 7-0.

I look for highland to settle in on offense now.
Two plays back to back. Highland out to the 35. Playing tempo.

Extended time out. JCA player (number 90) with what looks like distal humerus fracture or elbow dislocation. Hope he is ok. Headed to ambulance and out to hospital.

TD JCA on another run play. Hailey this time. 14-0 JCA. 6:42 left Q2.
Highland with no answer for run game yet. Offense looked better but injury delay disturbed drive rhythm.

Highland moving to more run with more success. Quick passes and run working. Down to JCA 22 in 5 plays.

Refs injecting themselves with horrible PI call to keep JCA drive alive before half.
JCA score with 4 seconds left. 28-14.

Similar story to semifinal against Rochester last year. Took a while to figure it out and settle in. Gap was already too big at that point.

Only hope for Highland at this point is onside kicks and they aren’t doing that...

JC looked like they were running downhill in week 9 and apparently still are. When they’re rolling like that on O they’re hard to stop.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT