ADVERTISEMENT

Highland/JCA

HHS,

Remember you asked, Oline play is average at best and slow. Your RB is decent but he’s running against Traffic cones in many cases. Your QB is a decent RPO kid and I like the way he runs, after he’s hit a few times by JCA if he runs and dives like normal let’s see how he’s doing. #1 your WR/SS/FS/LB/P etc.. is a very good player that I will say is impressive, but lacks that special breakaway speed. Your Dline is in trouble IMO on Saturday against JCAs OLine. The front 7 will be challenged or dominated, the combo blocking that you will see this week from JCA, unless it’s changed significantly, will not be like anything Highland has seen. I’m not saying good luck to you out of disrespect to Highland but rather because of respect for JCA. oddly enough while I pull for ESCC teams, it’s always difficult for me to pull for JCA because of past affiliation.

I appreciate the wish of good luck, I do. Just feel saying it will be needed is a slight. What about the play makes you feel that way?

I have watched most games on NFHS because of travel for work and the camera work kills me. The quality is good by why do they have to do the tight zoom during the play and then try to cut to the wider view. I miss so much, both on the line and skill positions watching.

Fair enough. All entitled to our opinions and I respect yours, knowing you bring context to it. Although I disagree of course lol.

I think this O-Line is above average but hurt when we lost our starting left guard midway through the year. It doesn’t have the names like Farmer (starting Nebraska center) or Czar from the 2013 team. But work very well together and very football smart.

Can’t wait for Saturday, not looking forward to a drive 3 hours both ways though.

HHS,

Remember you asked, Oline play is average at best and slow. Your RB is decent but he’s running against Traffic cones in many cases. Your QB is a decent RPO kid and I like the way he runs, after he’s hit a few times by JCA if he runs and dives like normal let’s see how he’s doing. #1 your WR/SS/FS/LB/P etc.. is a very good player that I will say is impressive, but lacks that special breakaway speed. Your Dline is in trouble IMO on Saturday against JCAs OLine. The front 7 will be challenged or dominated, the combo blocking that you will see this week from JCA, unless it’s changed significantly, will not be like anything Highland has seen. I’m not saying good luck to you out of disrespect to Highland but rather because of respect for JCA. oddly enough while I pull for ESCC teams, it’s always difficult for me to pull for JCA because of past affiliation.

Will this game be available to view live? If so, what is the site?

What has happened to Jchill? Has he been banned from the site or taking a time out? Hope he's doing well and not just hiding out on us. We need his take on this game as it seems like Highland can play some football with their 11-0 record in the Mississippi Valley Conference. JCA can't take this team lightly

The MVC is way down. But don’t let it fool you. Highland is still a very good football team and has played together in Coach Warnecke’s system since grade school.

This will be there last chance for a while to make noise deep into the playoffs though. I hope this is their year.

As a southern team, you will never get respect until you beat the favorites. This is just how this board works. No need to look for approval or respect. Just beat them and the conversation will go differently.

I disagree with that. I believe their perceived lack of respect is their schedule. If you compare regular season schedules it’s not close at all. However I do believe they are a good football team, they wouldn’t be where they are if they weren’t. Historically, teams from the south who are good in their regular seasons do not do well against teams from the north.

Reactions: Sterling Warrior
I disagree with that. I believe their perceived lack of respect is their schedule. If you compare regular season schedules it’s not close at all. However I do believe they are a good football team, they wouldn’t be where they are if they weren’t. Historically, teams from the south who are good in their regular seasons do not do well against teams from the north.

I will wait for facts that back up your statement. Who from the south are you referring to that don't do well against the northern team? Specifically teams that do well in the regular season.

I will wait for facts that back up your statement. Who from the south are you referring to that don't do well against the northern team? Specifically teams that do well in the regular season.

Without looking at facts I can say since 1999 JCA is I believe is 3-0 against metemora. I believe 3-0 against SHG. That’s just two examples off the top of my head

Without looking at facts I can say since 1999 JCA is I believe is 3-0 against metemora. I believe 3-0 against SHG. That’s just two examples off the top of my head

Without looking it up, haven't both of teams won state championships during that same time frame?

SHG yes no idea about metemora. But I guess I don’t understand your point. Is your point that teams from southern Illinois in general do as well as teams from the north but get no respect. Or are you not saying that and simply saying a team from the south won’t get respect.

Since 2001 when the IHSA moved to eight classes, teams from the East Suburban Catholic Conference have won seven state championships in football while no team from the Mississippi Valley Conference has won a state championship. Looking at just the last five years, seven East Suburban Catholic Conference teams have made semifinals whereas only one Mississippi Valley Conference team (Highland last year) made a semifinal. Additionally, the ESCC teams compete effectively in the 7A and 8A classes (Nazareth, Marist, Benet) while Highland's semifinal appearance was in 4A. So, historically speaking, there is a definite difference in conference strength.

With all that having been said, I personally enjoy rooting for underdogs and will be pulling for Highland this weekend. They certainly have a reasonable chance of pulling off the upset.

Reactions: Hillini74
Sterling beat two CCL teams last year in route to the semi finals only to be beat by a CPL school,
Who figured? LOL

Speaking from a JC perspective, the teams from the south who have not done well in head to head match ups include Washington, Normal, ESL, Metamora, SHG, Taylorville, Cahokia, among others. Since 1990 JCA is 31-1 vs teams from the south in the playoffs, while outscoring them by a 41-14 average. Their only loss was in the quarterfinals to Richwoods in 09. I am aware that none of that comes into play this year, but the fact of the matter is teams from the south have not had much luck vs the Hilltoppers.

Speaking from a JC perspective, the teams from the south who have not done well in head to head match ups include Washington, Normal, ESL, Metamora, SHG, Taylorville, Cahokia, among others. Since 1990 JCA is 31-1 vs teams from the south in the playoffs, while outscoring them by a 41-14 average. Their only loss was in the quarterfinals to Richwoods in 09. I am aware that none of that comes into play this year, but the fact of the matter is teams from the south have not had much luck vs the Hilltoppers.

My geography could be a bit off, but aren't several of those teams from central Illinois and not southern Illinois?

My geography could be a bit off, but aren't several of those teams from central Illinois and not southern Illinois?

I suppose. I was referring to teams south of Joliet or teams that are typically considered "down state". In regards to southern Illinois, JCA has never lost a playoff game to a team from that region.

I suppose. I was referring to teams south of Joliet or teams that are typically considered "down state". In regards to southern Illinois, JCA has never lost a playoff game to a team from that region.

Would that mean that JCA is considered a southern Illinois team when they play teams that are north of Joliet? I would think that it's safe to say that many of those teams that you mentioned are really part of central Illinois. Once you get to counties like Madison and St. Clair that's probably just the beginning of southern Illinois as there are still a few more hours of driving south that can be done in the state.

Let’s get the facts correct, Sterling beat Viator and MCC both ESCC teams not CCL teams, neither particularly strong last year, and one with the aid of missing starters due to ACT testing and rigid scheduling by Sterling for the home game.

Sterling beat two CCL teams last year in route to the semi finals only to be beat by a CPL school,
Who figured? LOL

Would that mean that JCA is considered a southern Illinois team when they play teams that are north of Joliet? I would think that it's safe to say that many of those teams that you mentioned are really part of central Illinois. Once you get to counties like Madison and St. Clair that's probably just the beginning of southern Illinois as there are still a few more hours of driving south that can be done in the state.

Since they were put into the Southern bracket of the 5A playoffs, in the context of playoff football, one could reasonably refer to them as Southern.

As I have been hearing this hair-trigger reaction for years, why do people from "Central Illinois" get so offended when someone slips up and references them as being from "Southern Illinois"?

Since we are on the subject of in-state geography, where is the border for the pronunciation of the state being changed to Ellinois?

Let’s get the facts correct, Sterling beat Viator and MCC both ESCC teams not CCL teams, neither particularly strong last year, and one with the aid of missing starters due to ACT testing and rigid scheduling by Sterling for the home game.

Please excuse his acronym knowledge. Definitely not trying to get Sterling mixed up in CCL talk. There will be enough uninformed comments by our fans next week I’m sure IF we happen to get by a strong Boylan team this week.

But to clear one thing up, it was 1 starter that missed for Viator. He managed to contribute a personal foul late hit by the time he made it back to the game. He was not making up 48 points. Yeah, I’ll admit I’m still a little salty about some stuff that was said about Stering on here during that situation.

Hey,come on now......Morris is southern Illinois ;)

Reactions: Gene K. and USD24
SHG yes no idea about metemora. But I guess I don’t understand your point. Is your point that teams from southern Illinois in general do as well as teams from the north but get no respect. Or are you not saying that and simply saying a team from the south won’t get respect.

My original statement was a southern team will never get respect until they beat a favorite which is fact on this board. In this case, if Highland beat JC, you never see comments about their conference or schedule. They will at that point be in the respected crowd and everyone will focus on the play of both teams.

You specifically disagreed by saying a successful southern team don't do well against a team from the North. I take that to mean a southern team with a record of 10-0 or 9-1 typically lose to a Northern team that is 6-4 or 7-3.

Please excuse his acronym knowledge. Definitely not trying to get Sterling mixed up in CCL talk. There will be enough uninformed comments by our fans next week I’m sure IF we happen to get by a strong Boylan team this week.

But to clear one thing up, it was 1 starter that missed for Viator. He managed to contribute a personal foul late hit by the time he made it back to the game. He was not making up 48 points. Yeah, I’ll admit I’m still a little salty about some stuff that was said about Stering on here during that situation.

World beaters and something Sterling (or any non private school) hasn't seen all year before the game but "not particularly strong" after they get beat. Pretty standard. Hoping Sterling takes care of Boylan so we can go through that whole cycle again. :rolleyes:

You played ESL one time in playoffs in which I believe you won state that year. I am also not sure how many times you played SHG, Taylorville or Cahokia. Those would be the teams I consider southern. Also no need to brag about distant history, what are the results of the last 10 years?

Since 2001 when the IHSA moved to eight classes, teams from the East Suburban Catholic Conference have won seven state championships in football while no team from the Mississippi Valley Conference has won a state championship. Looking at just the last five years, seven East Suburban Catholic Conference teams have made semifinals whereas only one Mississippi Valley Conference team (Highland last year) made a semifinal. Additionally, the ESCC teams compete effectively in the 7A and 8A classes (Nazareth, Marist, Benet) while Highland's semifinal appearance was in 4A. So, historically speaking, there is a definite difference in conference strength.

With all that having been said, I personally enjoy rooting for underdogs and will be pulling for Highland this weekend. They certainly have a reasonable chance of pulling off the upset.

How many teams are in your conference? How many teams won those 7 state championships? My guess would be JC early and Naz as of late will have most if not all of those championships. I don't buy into the conference strength or weakness as each team is different each year. Unless you are person that can get out and actually see games in other conferences, your opinion is bias to what you see. The "strength" of the conference will have absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of the game this weekend.

You played ESL one time in playoffs in which I believe you won state that year. I am also not sure how many times you played SHG, Taylorville or Cahokia. Those would be the teams I consider southern. Also no need to brag about distant history, what are the results of the last 10 years?

In the last 10 years, JCA played what you would consider "southern" teams three times in the playoffs. They defeated Troy/Triad 48-7, Cahokia 35-12 and SHG 49-7.

The year JCA beat ESL in the playoffs 45-8, they did not win the state championship. JCA was a 6-3 team that lost to Mt Carmel in the championship.

2008-09 (6A) 51 30 1-1 8-3 DNP Dan Sharp
30 6 W Crete (C.-Monee)
21 24 L New Lenox (Providence Catholic)
2009-10 (5A) 212 62 4-1 11-3 2nd Dan Sharp
48 7 W Troy (Triad)
35 12 W Cahokia (H.S.)
47 7 W Washington
54 7 W Peoria (Richwoods)
28 29 L Lombard (Montini)
2010-11 (5A) 112 31 2-1 10-2 DNP Dan Sharp
49 7 W Washington
49 7 W Sterling (H.S.)
14 17 L Peoria (Richwoods)
2011-12 (5A) 239 105 4-1 11-3 2nd Dan Sharp
48 14 W New Lenox (Lincoln-Way West)
41 7 W Morris
56 7 W Washington
49 7 W Springfield (Sacred Heart-Griffin)
45 70 L Lombard (Montini)
2012-13 (5A) 158 81 3-1 8-5 DNP Dan Sharp
58 0 W Elmwood Park
42 21 W Tinley Park (H.S.)
21 20 W New Lenox (Lincoln-Way West)
37 40 L Lombard (Montini)
2013-14 (5A) 135 42 2-1 10-2 DNP Dan Sharp
69 12 W Chicago (Urban Prep/Englewood)
45 8 W Maple Park (Kaneland)
21 22 L Lombard (Montini)
2014-15 (5A) 61 40 1-1 8-3 DNP
48 13 W Burbank (St. Laurence)
13 27 L Lombard (Montini)
2015-16 (5A) 116 79 2-1 10-2 DNP Dan Sharp
48 29 W Vernon Hills
47 15 W Woodstock (Marian)
21 35 L LaGrange Park (Nazareth Academy)

In the last 10 years, JCA played what you would consider "southern" teams three times in the playoffs. They defeated Troy/Triad 48-7, Cahokia 35-12 and SHG 49-7.

The year JCA beat ESL in the playoffs 45-8, they did not win the state championship. JCA was a 6-3 team that lost to Mt Carmel in the championship.

ESL was a team that had just lost Shannon and in between coaches however the results were the results. Also wasn't that when JC had 3 Division 1 backs in the backfield.

ESL was a team that had just lost Shannon and in between coaches however the results were the results. Also wasn't that when JC had 3 Division 1 backs in the backfield.

No. The 3 D1 backs didn't come till about 10 years later.. That JC team was lead by RB James Randle, who later played at Northern Michigan. That JC team started out 0-2 and was really struggling at the beginning of the year. Had a nice run in playoffs until it met a great MC team in the finals.

No. The 3 D1 backs didn't come till about 10 years later.. That JC team was lead by RB James Randle, who later played at Northern Michigan. That JC team started out 0-2 and was really struggling at the beginning of the year. Had a nice run in playoffs until it met a great MC team in the finals.

My apologies, I wasn't very clear on that.
I was talking about the three wins against Cahokia, Triad, and SHG.

My apologies, I wasn't very clear on that.
I was talking about the three wins against Cahokia, Triad, and SHG.
They only had the 3 d1 backs on varsity together for one year. I think it was the year they played Cohokia and Triad. Jones, Ferguson and Isaac were in three different classes and only played together on the varsity full time for one year.

Since they were put into the Southern bracket of the 5A playoffs, in the context of playoff football, one could reasonably refer to them as Southern.

As I have been hearing this hair-trigger reaction for years, why do people from "Central Illinois" get so offended when someone slips up and references them as being from "Southern Illinois"?

Since we are on the subject of in-state geography, where is the border for the pronunciation of the state being changed to Ellinois?

If they're in the same bracket, then that would mean that Joliet is also southern Illinois. That seems kinda off...a little...lol. I'm unfamiliar with people from central Illinois being offended by mistakingly being referred to as southern Illinois. Illinois is a big state though, especially from north to south. Folks from Cairo, IL would probably scratch their heads if you told them that Normal, IL is in southern Illinois. lol

World beaters and something Sterling (or any non private school) hasn't seen all year before the game but "not particularly strong" after they get beat. Pretty standard. Hoping Sterling takes care of Boylan so we can go through that whole cycle again. :rolleyes:
Me too!

They only had the 3 d1 backs on varsity together for one year. I think it was the year they played Cohokia and Triad. Jones, Ferguson and Isaac were in three different classes and only played together on the varsity full time for one year.
2009 they played triad and cahokia. Soph Jones and junior Ferguson started at wing. Senior Lyles started at fb and fresh isaac rotated in with him. 3 starters each had 1000 yards and isaac like 500.

2010 they lost to richwoods after thumping Washington. Junior Jones and senior Ferguson started at wing. Soph isaac started at fb but was injured most of season. Soph Reitz ended up getting most of the fb snaps that year.

While they had 3 d1 players in the backfield, they were really ever only together for the first few weeks of 2010 until isaac got hurt. But man did they all look good together, beating montini handily in week 1.

2009 they played triad and cahokia. Soph Jones and junior Ferguson started at wing. Senior Lyles started at fb and fresh isaac rotated in with him. 3 starters each had 1000 yards and isaac like 500.

2010 they lost to richwoods after thumping Washington. Junior Jones and senior Ferguson started at wing. Soph isaac started at fb but was injured most of season. Soph Reitz ended up getting most of the fb snaps that year.

While they had 3 d1 players in the backfield, they were really ever only together for the first few weeks of 2010 until isaac got hurt. But man did they all look good together, beating montini handily in week 1.

And yet, they never won a championship.

If they're in the same bracket, then that would mean that Joliet is also southern Illinois. That seems kinda off...a little...lol. I'm unfamiliar with people from central Illinois being offended by mistakingly being referred to as southern Illinois. Illinois is a big state though, especially from north to south. Folks from Cairo, IL would probably scratch their heads if you told them that Normal, IL is in southern Illinois. lol

Unfamiliar with it? Then take it out for a ride and get back to me afterward

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT