ADVERTISEMENT

Highland/JCA

PC Dad_MC Grad

Aug 22, 2018
Ironically I’ll be visiting cousins in Highland on Saturday LOL

Is WJOL-TV streaming the game? Anyone know?

Is Highland more pass or run oriented?
Highland has 3 very tall receivers and a very strong RB. They are versatile on offense. The issue with Highland is that 7 players play both ways including the QB,3 receivers,best RB and 2 lineman. That will be the problem. This game will be live on the NFHS site. JCA wins this one .Look for a blow out.

Saturday’s weather will obviously play a key role in how this one goes. We know it’s gonna be cold, however, if wind is a factor as well, JCA has to get the nod in this one. As skeetz45 eluded to, the fact that Highland has 7 two way players can’t help them either. Is Highland’s running game solid enough to move the ball if the weather renders them one dimensional? Do they have any chance of stopping the JCA run game?

Can Highland stop the JCA run? Key to the game.
Highland can put 40 on JCA.
I would agree to a point. The key will be which defense has better success stopping the other's offense.

JCA's defense has been playing better since the ND game in Week 9. However, I suspect they haven't faced an offense as good as Highland. Weather could also be a factor. If it's cold and windy, that may negatively impact what Highland does on offense.

Saturday’s weather will obviously play a key role in how this one goes. We know it’s gonna be cold, however, if wind is a factor as well, JCA has to get the nod in this one. As skeetz45 eluded to, the fact that Highland has 7 two way players can’t help them either. Is Highland’s running game solid enough to move the ball if the weather renders them one dimensional? Do they have any chance of stopping the JCA run game?
Just said something similar regarding the weather. Memorial Stadium has a very open set up on the North and South end zones. It can be like a wind tunnel, if the wind is out of the North or South.

Reactions: cocacoaler
Just said something similar regarding the weather. Memorial Stadium has a very open set up on the North and South end zones. It can be like a wind tunnel, if the wind is out of the North or South.

Yes, spot on. JC played a real good SHG team in a 2011 semifinal at home. Wind was gusting that day and JC deferred on the toss to get the wind in the first quarter. A good SHG offense that depended on the pass was unable to get anything going in the first quarter and JC was up 28 to 0 before you could blink.

I don't anticipate that same perfect scenario to to play out Saturday for JC. But any cold and especially wind is definitely a good thing for them.

JC secondary is probably the most talented part of their defense this year. One of their better players was out last week though. Could be tough if he's still out.

Great question and i'm not sure. Feldman is a great open field runner but the reason he is so great is based on having the field spread and the defense having to respect the pass. It's a different game if the pass is rendered ineffective. That happened to some degree last year at Rochester.

I looked at their schedule on MaxPReps. Who would you say have them the hardest time this year and why. Looks like they blew out everyone.

I’ve said all year that Highland has played no one and once they meet Montini,, JCA
Sterling or Sycamore it won’t even be close. I could be wrong but I think this will be one of those games an undefeated team gets beat bad due to line play, never facing a line like JCA will disrupt their offense, may even be a shut out, I hope they prove me wrong but I’m guessing something along the lines of 35-7 JCA, when you face really good line play it screws up the entire offense, this will be the first decent team they have played all year, again I hope they prove me wrong and I eat crow, just my opinion.

Biggest struggle was probably Alton, which they won 21-0. Sloppy conditions and first game for QB in new position. They handled Marion about the same way JCA did this last week. Will be interesting to see how they stack up against good line play. Their defensive front can be quite good, and the secondary is good. Second level will be key to preventing big run gashes.

I think they will score on JCA, wind or not. But as someone else pointed out, weather could play a role. Took them the first half against Rochester last year in a cold windy one. They outscored Rochester handily in the second half, but tough to come back when down 28-0 at half.

I think they can pull out the W if the weather cooperates. Response to adversity will also be good to see. They bounced back from being scored on early by Mattoon last week. Hope I get to watch it streaming.

Just a little different coming up from the south and having to play the Brown plague .

I’m no Highland apologist. My sophomore year we beat Touchdown Billy Greenwald’s team and at the end of the game, during our kickoff coverage, one of their guys dove low at the legs of a head-hunting SOB who made nearly every KO tackle. Total cheap shot - carted off, surgery and all. DONG (nickname) was a wrestler - came back in february, but two classes up and did not get his projected state title.

(After wrestling season, he and a few others, I was too young at 15, went up to Highland and got a small measure of revenge in a parking lot against the whole Highland crew. True story. Althoff guys stood back to back with a partner and went at it.)

It was very windy last year at Rochester in the 4A semis. Seemed to hurt Highland’s passing game more than Rochester’s. Highland had a large crowd but it got quiet quickly when they fell behind 21-0 in 1st half. They have a nice running back and good mix of receivers but defense is only average. Think playing up at 5A will catch up to them this week.

Well, when “southern boys have to play the Brown Plague,” it was to seem like JCA never exited stage right but instead remained always in the spotlight.

That’s not true.

It’s Highland with the better recent track record.

Well, when “southern boys have to play the Brown Plague,” it was to seem like JCA never exited stage right but instead remained always in the spotlight.

That’s not true.

It’s Highland with the better recent track record.
Nobody from JC seems themselves as some sort of brown plague. Just happy to be here after a few down years. Hoping to give Highland their best game of the year and maybe, if lucky, steal a win. Nobody realizes more than us that this version of hilltoppers football is far from invincible.

Reactions: pjjp
This Highland team is better than last years 4A semifinals team IMO. Weather did pose issues for last years team during the semifinal game but I believe they would be able to work through tough weather conditions this year.

As far as the toughest game this year, Alton is probably it. As someone mentioned above it being the first game and a new QB but they have worked through many of those kinks. Some teams have had success keeping games close in the first have by grinding out long possessions. It seems though the offense always made teams have to come at them more aggressively by the 2H and Highland would use it to their advantage to extend their leads and get the clock running my 4Q.

Nobody from JC seems themselves as some sort of brown plague. Just happy to be here after a few down years. Hoping to give Highland their best game of the year and maybe, if lucky, steal a win. Nobody realizes more than us that this version of hilltoppers football is far from invincible.
Agreed. This Hilltopper playoff run is pure gravy, IMO. Very impressed with this team's resilience and ability to perform in elimination games. I have no doubt they will be ready and will relish this opportunity. I also think Highland is very good. Still think it comes down to whomever's defense can slow the other's offense down. I think both offenses will have success. But how much?

Where is Jchill? I expected to see a long continual paragraph post from him by now? I mean it’s the quarterfinals! Someone need to do a safety check at the house?

Reactions: Gene K.
How does one steal a game by 40?

Highland has a really good offense. Very balanced, but the passing game is very nice. Defense is their weakness. Their defense isn't terrible, but it's not great either. As mentioned above, that probably has to do with a lot of kids playing both ways. I think those players love playing offense, but would rather not be playing D. They can put up a lot of points on you though.

Have to think Highland is favored here. At best a push. Any Hilltopper expecting a blowout win is in the clear minority.
I’m not letting you play the PC game. JCA is significantly better than Highland.

Everyone is all over the place on this one. Voodoo JHill got told to go pound sand by a fellow hilltopper and haven’t heard from him since. Also It looks clear and sunny for Saturday. Will be cold but at this point that is all. I always tend to lean toward how your conference is is a good indicator of what you’ll do in the playoffs. So I’m interested to see what happens. For those highland fans heading up to the game. I recommend McBride’s on 52 for a few sodas and food before the game.

Have to think Highland is favored here. At best a push. Any Hilltopper expecting a blowout win is in the clear minority.
brace-yourself-sandbagging.jpg

I would agree to a point. The key will be which defense has better success stopping the other's offense.

JCA's defense has been playing better since the ND game in Week 9. However, I suspect they haven't faced an offense as good as Highland. Weather could also be a factor. If it's cold and windy, that may negatively impact what Highland does on offense.
Do you mean that Marist and Nazareth were less offensively than Highland or for that matter IC? I watched film on Highland and have no coaching experience but your statement seems to be a bit of a stretch. Here's a handy little app. from a fisherman: https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/joliet_regional_airport

Do you mean that Marist and Nazareth were less offensively than Highland or for that matter IC? I watched film on Highland and have no coaching experience but your statement seems to be a bit of a stretch. Here's a handy little app. from a fisherman: https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/joliet_regional_airport
Should have been more clear. Haven't faced an offense as good as Highland's since Week 9. Seems like ND was a different team with Gavin out, and Metamora and Marion were not close to Highland offensively.

The point I was attempting to make is a defense can look good, when playing competition that is not up to some of the teams JC played earlier in the year. I didn't go to the Naz game, but i was at the IC and Marist games. Is the JC defense improved or have they not played a level of competition that's even close to the teams they played earlier in the year? I suspect it's a bit of both.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT