ADVERTISEMENT

High School Football Royalty and some other schools

USD24

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Joliet
This weekend's games feature some of the historically best programs in the state. All 16 schools playing in Champaign have appeared in the state championship at least one previous time and the schools have combined to win a total of 66 state championships. 1A Camp Point is the only program without a championship on its resume. Mt Carmel has the most with 13, followed by Providence with 10 and East St Louis with 9. Pretty impressive group of schools. Please excuse any errors

Here is a breakdown of State appearances and titles going into this weekend
Appearances Titles
1A
Lena 5 5
Camp Point 1 0
2A
Tri Valley 2 1
St Theresa 5 3
3A
ICCP 5 5
Williamsville 2 1
4A
Providence 13 10
SHG 11 5
5A
Naz 5 3
Peoria 2 1
6A
ESL 13 9
PR 4 3
7A
Mt Carmel 18 13
Batavia 3 2
8A
LWE 4 3
Loyola 8 3

Last edited:
Some other random facts. Mt Carmel is the all time leader in playoff wins with 125. In addition, MC, Providence and are trying to win a state championship in the 5th different decade. They have both won championships in the 1980's, 1990's, 2000's and 2010's. ESL is trying to win a state championship in its 6th different decade. I believe Joliet Catholic is the only school to win a championship in all 6 decades of the high school playoffs (i had to get something in here about the Hillmen;))

Last edited:
This weekend's games feature some of the historically best programs in the state. All 16 schools playing in Champaign have appeared in the state championship at least one previous time and the schools have combined to win a total of 66 state championships. 1A Camp Point is the only program without a championship on its resume. Mt Carmel has the most with 13, followed by Providence with 10 and East St Louis with 9. Pretty impressive group of schools. Please excuse any errors

Here is a breakdown of State appearances and titles going into this weekend
Appearances Titles
1A
Lena 5 5
Camp Point 1 0
2A
Tri Valley 2 1
St Theresa 5 3
3A
ICCP 5 5
Williamsville 2 1
4A
Providence 13 10
SHG 11 5
5A
Naz 5 3
Peoria 2 1
6A
ESL 13 9
PR 4 3
7A
Mt Carmel 18 13
Batavia 3 2
8A
LWE 4 3
Loyola 8 3
Take out the last ten years and Batavia has been laughably atrocious….and that’s being kind.

The Little 7 existed from 1921 to 1995 and Batavia had exactly…zero conference championships.

Take out the last ten years and Batavia has been laughably atrocious….and that’s being kind.

The Little 7 existed from 1921 to 1995 and Batavia had exactly…zero conference championships.
False. Batavia has been a good program for the last 30 years. They have qualified for the playoffs in 24 of the last 30 years, including a second place finish in 2006, which is more than 10 years ago.

Reactions: BataviaDogs1
False. Batavia has been a good program for the last 30 years. They have qualified for the playoffs in 24 of the last 30 years, including a second place finish in 2006, which is more than 10 years ago.
Ok. Batavia football history essentially begins in 2006. I’d argue thats hardly one of the historically best programs. Pleas reference my comment about their Little 7 “dominance.”

Ok. Batavia football history essentially begins in 2006. I’d argue thats hardly one of the historically best programs. Pleas reference my comment about their Little 7 “dominance.”
Batavia qualified for the playoffs 10 times from 1992 to 2006. I would say their history began before 2006. Would you feel better if I edited the post to read "15 of the historically best programs and 1 program that has only been good since the 1990's"?

Naz wasnt any good until 15 years ago, Providence was terrible until the 80's but I think most people understand what the post was implying.

I can't believe I'm on here defending Batavia's football program. What has this world come to?

So by that logic eliminate Nazareth. In 2006 Nazareth was still being denied pudding.

Reactions: Snetsrak61
Batavia qualified for the playoffs 10 times from 1992 to 2006. I would say their history began before 2006. Would you feel better if I edited the post to read "15 of the historically best programs and 1 program that has only been good since the 1990's"?

Naz wasnt any good until 15 years ago, Providence was terrible until the 80's but I think most people understand what the post was implying.

I can't believe I'm on here defending Batavia's football program. What has this world come to?
The title of the thread was historically great programs. My frame of reference is the Little 7 forward.
Morris has 600+ wins
Geneva has 500+ wins

I’m betting Batavia is treading water in the high 300s, low 400s.

When I think of historically great programs I think of ESL, Joliet Catholic, Mt Carmel, Wheaton, Tuscola, Arcola, etc.

Batavia isn’t (historically) in the same stratosphere.

Last edited:
The title of the thread was historically great programs. My frame of reference is the Little 7 forward.
Morris has 600+ wins
Geneva has 500+ wins

I’m betting Batavia is treading water in the high 300s, low 400s.

When I think of historically great programs I think of ESL, Mt Carmel, Wheaton, Tuscola, Arcola, etc.

Batavia isn’t (historically) in the same stratosphere.
Actually the threads title is “High School Football Royalty”

You will note that the post says “some” of the historically best programs. Nowhere did I state that every team playing this weekend is one of the historically best.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snetsrak61
Curious to hear thoughts on the criteria for “royalty.”
I was just thinking of a related topic. Been talking with a *still sort of disappointed* Reed-Custer friend and I was wondering the feasibility of an upstart program becoming a perennial playoff team. Obviously many here are fans of larger suburban schools and private schools, so some of the logistics are different than the situation in Braidwood.

Being 5 for 5 is most impressive to me
5-5. Not to take a single thing away from IC, but the north bracket in class 3A and below has been absolutely dominated by the north for a good long while. Usually the winners of those classes face their real challenges in the quarters or semifinals and I expect that to be the case this year.

Look at the all time wins, cross reference with titles … only documented since 1974, not the previous 70-plus years of high school football in Illinois. Somewhere in that list, you have the blue bloods.

Then again, Camilla parker Bowles is now the queen consort. So you could add in some of the new names like Louis Hollywood and reed Custer.

• Haha
Reactions: doctor_d
5-5. Not to take a single thing away from IC, but the north bracket in class 3A and below has been absolutely dominated by the north for a good long while. Usually the winners of those classes face their real challenges in the quarters or semifinals and I expect that to be the case this year.
Lena too.

Reactions: doctor_d
Successful but certainly not IHSA royalty.
So what makes royalty? I'm trying to figure the logic out.

Technically there is a very real thing called recent history. You can even buy a history book on something two years ago, written with a historical perspective. Crazy I know.

If I was writing a history of IL HS football since the Success Factor, my book would suck without mentioning Batavia [and Nazareth but they are just a side note to my point I was ultimately getting at]. It's a fact, book wouldn't be an accurate or acceptable recollection. But It would also Technically be HISTORY!

So to sum things up, in re: to Batavia and IL HS football history, I think Geneva fits in under the chapter covering jealous rivals of Batavia.

So what makes royalty? I'm trying to figure the logic out.

Technically there is a very real thing called recent history. You can even buy a history book on something two years ago, written with a historical perspective. Crazy I know.

If I was writing a history of IL HS football since the Success Factor, my book would suck without mentioning Batavia [and Nazareth but they are just a side note to my point I was ultimately getting at]. It's a fact, book wouldn't be an accurate or acceptable recollection. But It would also Technically be HISTORY!

So to sum things up, in re: to Batavia and IL HS football history, I think Geneva fits in under the chapter covering jealous rivals of Batavia.
😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣 😂🤣

Nice try epicbert.

😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣 😂🤣

Nice try epicbert.
Hey, I'm just trying to determine why you came off the top rope at the OPs premise
now_why_is_that.jpg

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
Hey Bert:

School 1:
has been playing football since 1920.
2 state championships
455 all time wins (going into the ‘22 season)
24 all time playoff appearances

School 2:
has been playing since 1958
2 state championships
355 all time wins (going into the ‘22 season)
23 all time playoff appearances

Who’s more worthy of being “IHSA Rotalty?”

Hey Bert:

School 1:
2 state championships

School 2:
2 state championships

School 3

Hey Bert:

School 1:
2 state championships

School 2:
2 state championships

Let me clear the deck and just say up front I am NOT a Batavia fan.

All4

I see Geneva has 2 2nd place finishes since 1976 when we’re the 2 titles

Batavia on the other hand, 2 1st and 1 2nd place finish since 1991

Also only an extra 100 wins in 38 additional years of play…that’s less than 3 wins per year, not sure I’d be hanging my hat on that factoid. Even if we chop out the years for WWII it’s still max 3 wins/year.

Last edited:
Hey Bert:

School 1:
2 state championships

School 2:
2 state championships

Is this meant for me?

Let me clear the deck and just say up front I am NOT a Batavia fan.

All4

I see Geneva has 2 2nd place finishes since 1976 when we’re the 2 titles

Batavia on the other hand, 2 1st and 1 2nd place finish since 1991

Also only an extra 100 wins in 38 additional years of play…that’s less than 3 wins per year, not sure I’d be hanging my hat on that factoid. Even if we chop out the years for WWII it’s still max 3 wins/year.
It’s not a Geneva - Batavia comparison.

Plus, an additional 3 wins a year over 38 years when playing an 8/9 game HS schedule is substantial.

Such an odd hill to die on lol.. Just admit you hate Batavia alot, and them winning hurts your soul.

I honestly don't get why you have such issue with them being in thread titled

High School Football Royalty and some other schools

I posed a simple comparison and you refused to take a gander at it.

Batavia winning doesn’t hurt any part of me.

I honestly don’t get why you have such an issue with answering the l question pertaining to which school should be considered IHSA royalty.

This ain’t rocket science, Bert.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT