ADVERTISEMENT

Heavy Hearts In Naperville Central Baseball Family

MIKEFTB

Jul 7, 2001
Bolingbrook IL
Phil Lawler, longtime teacher and Naperville Central baseball team pitching coach,passed away Friday at age 60 after a long and courageous battle with illness. *See story below per Naperville Sun

The day after, the Redhawks baseball team played with very heavy hearts losing only their second game of the year, a 7-5 non-conference game to the Lockport Porters.

"I don't know that there was a whole lot of heart in this game, honestly," Central head coach Bill Seiple said. "I don't want to dwell on that. There will be a lot of conversation about that, but I'm proud of our guys.I love our guys.I love our team."

On a personal note,I met Phil way back in 1994, and I can tell you he was always an upbeat guy,and always had a big smile, new the game of baseball, and he was a fitness guru. For what that Man went through the past few years....you would've never known he was sick...He was a battler all the way...

Whether you knew him or not, there was only one Phil Lawler...flags fly at half staff at Naperville Central's long time baseball field.....in his memory...Rest In Peace Coach...

MIKEFTB

Story

He was a fixture of DVC baseball for so many years and a really good guy. He helped a ton kids (not just NC kids) get college scholarships over the years and will be sorely missed.

Coach Lawler was the freshman coach at Naperville North when I was at NN. Guess who our sophomore coach was... Bill Seiple. Lawler, Seiple, and Paul Ryan(varsity), quite a coaching staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT