ADVERTISEMENT

HC 35 NC 34 Final

kitty_bintingot

Gold Member
Aug 10, 2017
Happy kickoff week to everybody. I was thinking of doing a WSC wk1 thread but I'll just stick to what I have a decent handle on. Hoping others will do threads on the other WSC games.

NC offense: For as much talk as there is around Thorne, the NC o-line is what sticks out to me the most. The average height/weight of the o-line is 6'4 260, anchored by Hallstrom who is a nasty hog. They also have the D1 transfer from Bolingbrook at WR plus two other returning WRs who play well. Then add a D1 QB who runs nice read options and can put the ball on the money 40 yards downfield and I think it's fair to say that at least on paper this offense looks like the real deal. One question I'm having is Will the huge but less experienced NC o-line mesh and take control up front?

NC defense: Looks like NC is reloading a bit on D but they return two solid DBs including a beast of a safety who was all area last year. I'm also seeing a 6'5er at DE that I think is a wrestler. That always helps. I assume that NC seniors who went undefeated at lower-levels will be expected to step up and fill in on defense as needed. But if there's gonna be a kink in the armor of NC it will be upfront on defense.

HC offense: HC will look to pound the rock behind their RB Skokna this year and an experienced o-line that averages about 6'3 245, give or take a couple personnel/formation changes. The interior line is where the experience is at and so I think the success of the run this friday will turn on how the new bodies at T and TE step up and whether they can find their inner hog. There is some noticeable but unproven talent coming in at WR/slot and so we'll see if HC doesn't try to spread the ball out more than last year. But on the whole I think the success of this offense will turn on establishing the run, controlling the ball and wearing defenses down.

HC defense: last year I impressed by the success of the defense given how young they were. Now they all return with the exception of a new DE and two new safeties. Really excited to see them play against this NC offense right out the gate week 1. As I said, the NC o-line is huge but a tad inexperienced. I think another key factor is whether the HC pass rush is going to be able to pressure Thorne and help out the DBs. Last year the pass rush was great and HC will need it this friday.

Last thought: As Edgy and Mike Clark pointed out in their podcast, NC is most likely going into this game with a must-win mentality. I think NC is a slight favorite but so long as HC can establish the run I expect this game to be a 4 quarter battle. What are the other DVC/DKC and WSC guys thinking about this one? What story lines am I missing about this matchup? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I am very interested to see this matchup as I think HC along with GBW are the top 2 teams in the WSC and I believe NC is the preseason favorite in the 5 team DVC which I am renaming the Naper and Valley Conference (NVC).

Reactions: kitty_bintingot
I'm going to go with NC in this one. I think they'll be in playoff mode while HC will be in week 1 mode.

Reactions: Duhawk44
The big question in my mind is: Can HC get pressure and hits on the NC QB? If they can’t there Is big danger from the passing game coming home to roost.

From what Kitty said in the preview - sounds like nearly all of HC’s DLine returns? This is going to be a nail bitter but if HC has 3 sacks or more I say they win in a close game. If they have less - I think they fall to the redhawks in a close one.

One of my favorite WV games to watch was the playoff game two years ago WV/HC. HC always brings a tough squad with a ton of high quality players. Their Oline that year (2016) was huge and very good. The EDs game from 2015 was awesome as well and also the 2012 WV/NV games and the 2016 GBN game... but Now I am really digressing.

I am very interested to see this matchup as I think HC along with GBW are the top 2 teams in the WSC and I believe NC is the preseason favorite in the 5 team DVC which I am renaming the Naper and Valley Conference (NVC).

this is a great great week 1. Going with NC by a score late.

The big question in my mind is: Can HC get pressure and hits on the NC QB? If they can’t there Is big danger from the passing game coming home to roost.

From what Kitty said in the preview - sounds like nearly all of HC’s DLine returns? This is going to be a nail bitter but if HC has 3 sacks or more I say they win in a close game. If they have less - I think they fall to the redhawks in a close one.

One of my favorite WV games to watch was the playoff game two years ago WV/HC. HC always brings a tough squad with a ton of high quality players. Their Oline that year (2016) was huge and very good. The EDs game from 2015 was awesome as well and also the 2012 WV/NV games and the 2016 GBN game... but Now I am really digressing.
Yes, the game outcome will be determined by the team that dominates the line play. I say HC in a low scoring game.

Nice synopsis Kitty. A couple additions: no mention of the HC QB who was injured last season but is an excellent dual threat QB in his own right. Skokna at RB is not very tall but is super quick and ran a 49.18 400 (now of the fastest times in the state) and went to state as a wrestler. He's quick, strong and tough and has a decent line. They return a very good front 7 on D. This will be a barnburner imho.

I think NC wins this game. They are a top ten team this year IMO. I see them going 7-2... and if they can hang with LWE, maybe top 5.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT