ADVERTISEMENT

GW vs HC at Duchon

capnbillhitters

Gold Member
May 18, 2015
So I will miss my second GW game in 7 years this Saturday as I get to experience parent day at Denison and get rattle a few safe spaces. Only other miss was GW's 3-0 win over WN in the mud bowl of '12.

I haven't seen a ton of HC but they look like they have a couple of good, hard runners and a big TE that they exploit often. The o line doesn't look as big as in years past. Defense seems to have rebounded from their own Week 1 beat down (from a very good St X of OH) nicely. Maybe their run defense is really good when considering the DGN beat down. Or maybe they just caught DGN on a Saturday morning and Willowbrook showed how to run on HC. Very interesting to see if GW can get their running game going on the thinning Duchon grass.

Last few years have been knock down /drag out fist fights between these teams. HC put 300 yards rushing on GW in '15 and last years OT game was a doozy. I don't see HC putting 300 yards rushing on GW this year but hoping Hetlet has a scheme to keep the big TE under control.

Hoping to get good news updates in Granville.

I don't think I've a grip on the WSS after GW's shalacking of LT. But at any rate I think that GW and HC have emerged as the top two teams. Here's all I got for now:

Will the HC offense be able to control/win battles on the edge? They've been running sweeps all year. The TE and FB/HB have done well on the edge and I expect a battle between them and the OLBs for GW. Suppose GW shuts down the edge. Then can HC successfully run between the tackles? If they can't establish either, expect a long day for HC. They need to control the ball in this game.

Will HC's defense find its identity in this game? The HC defense is a younger group but has raised some eyebrows (mine at least). That being said, what is this defense really made of? Given that HC usually gets up for this game, I'll go out on a limb and say that the d-line will do well working the line and that the young HC LBs will fly around.

But if that's the case then the next question is Will the DBs be able to cover Pierce? I think Pierce is the x-factor in this one, and I think HC will have a soph covering him (make what you will of that).

I anticipate Duchon slowing the game down and expect a slugfest, and am thinking we'll see 4 competitive quarters of ball. I'm gonna do more research and post a prediction later this week.

Last edited:
Reactions: capnbillhitters
I think the whites are part of the reason we play so well on the road.

That and the carpet.

Enjoy your weekend at Denison. My old stomping grounds.....while at OSU I had a few good friends in Granville. Great school.

Reactions: capnbillhitters
Duchon is going to be a mess with the weather!!

Hitters big in this one. I'm setting the line at GW -14.5

The HC offense has developed nicely this season, with two real threats in the backfield in the Soph running back, #7, and I think Sr running back/receiver #4. IAs the season has progressed, #4 has become more of a receiver threat, along with #6 Bjorson, the TE, who is tall and has good hands. GW's defense will be facing multiple threats this weekend, and the prospects of a sloppy field is a real concern. HC seems to be hitting their stride now, having played really well in their last 3 games. Their defense has allowed only 10 total points in those 3 games, and will be a big problem for GW's offense. I'll go out on a limb here, with no disrespect to LT, and say that HC is a better football team right now than LT. If the HC defense can cover Pierce, it could be a slug fest in Glen Ellyn this Saturday.

Reactions: kitty_bintingot
So I guess tomorrow is the big day. Duchon in ok shape considering how little rain we've had. It all depends on where that 2"-3" band hits. If we get a direct hit, break out the 1 1/2" cleats.

Field doesn't look too shabby. Edit: but that's just from what I'm seeing on my laptop screen.

Last edited:
Soph football update: HC 35 GW 42 Final

GW had two KO returns for touchdowns. HC has missed a couple PATS and two point conversions. HC kicked a FG to tie it at 35. GW gets possession with 1:30 left, completes a long pass down inside the 5 and then punches it in w/ 29 secs left.

Edit: These two teams tied last year as freshman, and both have sophomores starting on varsity (from what I understand---if a GW guy could confirm I'd appreciate it). Not to jump the gun but HC-GW should be a barn burner next year.

Last edited:
It's true. But Cap's point stands, IMO.

Doesn't stand . Sorry. Vastly oversimplifies the position.

A) QB's run balls too, ya' know.
B) QB's also do many other things besides throwing the ball, including understanding formations and plays better than backups, making quick reads and decisions., etc etc. When you've been practicing and playing with one kid for a couple months, switching to another kid the week of a big game clearly will have an effect.

Reactions: Gene K. and NNFAN
Doesn't stand . Sorry. Vastly oversimplifies the position.

A) QB's run balls too, ya' know.
B) QB's also do many other things besides throwing the ball, including understanding formations and plays better than backups, making quick reads and decisions., etc etc. When you've been practicing and playing with one kid for a couple months, switching to another kid the week of a big game clearly will have an effect.

Ha-ha, good points. Maybe shoulda thought more before accepting Cap's point.

Edit: Fun game at Duchon through one half. When HC lines up in wildcat and lets their RB #7 lead block for #4, plus having their big TE block, it's a bruising combo. #7 could play LB for this team.

Ha-ha, good points. Maybe shoulda thought more before accepting Cap's point.

Edit: Fun game at Duchon through one half. When HC lines up in wildcat and lets their RB #7 lead block for #4, plus having their big TE block, it's a bruising combo. #7 could play LB for this team.

Wish I was there. Love big matchups like this regardless. How are the conditions? I'm about 8 minutes from there and its dark but not raining.

Also, does HC play on turf or grass? I've been there a bunch of times and was thinking turf but can't remember for sure.

Wish I was there. Love big matchups like this regardless. How are the conditions? I'm about 8 minutes from there and its dark but not raining.

Also, does HC play on turf or grass? I've been there a bunch of times and was thinking turf but can't remember for sure.

Conditions were fine till start of 2nd half. Been pouring since then.

And HC plays on turf.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT