ADVERTISEMENT

Great state games

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
I just discovered that almost every state championship game is on YouTube on the IHSA Archives channel! What are some great games to watch as we get amped up for the season. Obviously the ‘14 Wilmo championship was crazy and a favorite, but what else is worth the 3 hour watch?

Reactions: Cross Bones
1990 3a - preseason 1 v 2, both undefeated. Hickey ran the ball 41 times that game.

Althoff did everything possible to lose ... but still won in what was supposed to be a light sweat victory lap. Alleman LB had like 30 tackles - he was a beast.

JCA Montini. There are two of them.

Last play of the game JCA up 1 point after Montini just scores a touchdown.

"They are going for the win, they are going for the victory"

Last edited:
Appleton/Hawthone’s title game ... the Original Swagger High put on a stunning display against Batavia.

That game included a violent crack back block followed by 10 yards of straight-legging by a freshman for a TD. SWARMING D ... and Hawthorne showing out better than JEFF Thomas ever did at ESL,IMHO.

All these years later and the world is still waiting for the ball to cross the goal line on the 2 pt conversion.

;-)

1995 WWS vs Naperville Central
NC was undefeated and ranked top 10 nationally but WWS upset them 22-21 stopping a 2pt attempt in the last minute of the game.

1995 Maine South vs Mt Carmel
MS battled back and kick a FG as time expired to win 31-28

Maybe the best set of back to back games ever played at the state championships!

Reactions: Wassup13
I can't even lie, the two 'Brook appearances were ugly games, competitive but ugly. Terrible weather and opponents that wanted to turn the game ugly to take away from the BRILLIANCE of those teams. They basically fillered their water bottles with Hater-Ade.

Reactions: superac777
I can't even lie, the two 'Brook appearances were ugly games, competitive but ugly. Terrible weather and opponents that wanted to turn the game ugly to take away from the BRILLIANCE of those teams. They basically fillered their water bottles with Hater-Ade.
Should have won the first 1.Could have made at least 3 field goals

The 76 State Title win by St.Laurence was great as well as them coming just short in upsetting the NFL filled ESL team in 79.The magic win by Tinley Park in 86 when Alleman fans laughed when they asked where all their players were and TP fans said we moved up 2 sophs but this is it.Also the defensive battles in 80 and 81 which heavy underdog Reavis lost in heartbreak(Gordon Tech returned fumble for TD in 80 and Rice a INT for TD and fumble for TD in 81) and finally them winning in 82.

The magic win by Tinley Park in 86 when Alleman fans laughed when they asked where all their players were and TP fans said we moved up 2 sophs but this is it.
Many older brothers to my Althoff teammates played the semi-finals against Aleman and lost 44-0 after steamrolling the season with many shutouts, including one against Granite City, which snapped the ESL three-season winning streak.

That team stayed in a hotel the night before the Aleman game and things got "rowdy" - if they were not hung over at the start of the game, they were still drunk.

Brawls, ejections - and the most violent legal hit I've seen in high school ball laid by Steven Schott, as a sophomore linebacker, who was ejected. (Coach's son, played at Duke.)

In 1990, against Aleman, we avenged our older siblings in the finals. All of those older guys came to the subsequent party - we were feted by them.

STRANGELY, I was roommates with guys from that Tinley team and they fully expected to be playing Althoff in the finals.

Small world.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT