ADVERTISEMENT

Great Semi-Final games!

USD24

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Joliet
Semi final week is here, and there have been some great semi-final games over the years. As a JC guy, some of my favorites include:

1992- JC 13 MC 11. An absolute battle between two heavyweights in front of 10,000 fans at Memorial Stadium. JCA took a 13-3 lead early in the second half when Matt Larsen destroyed a MC LB in route to a long touchdown run. MC scored late to make it close. I was fortunate enough to be on the sidelines as a coach for that epic game. The Hilltoppers would lose in the championship to WWS the following week in one of the all time best championship games.

2000 JC 28 Pontiac 20. A freezing cold day in Pontiac. Game went back and forth. Pontiac scored in last minute to tie the game at 20. JC blocked the extra point. Everyone was anticipating overtime, but JR Zwierzinski (sp) ran off tackle for about 80 yards while outrunning Santos Gonzales for a TD and the win.

1987 JC 35 Belvidere 14- A personal favorite. JC fell behind early, but turned it on the second half for the win. See attached artice. Some great names on that team (Lausch, Voss, Isaac and a younger USD24)

What are your most memorable semi-final games.

Good luck to all this weekend.

JC/Belvidere

;)

Semi final week is here, and there have been some great semi-final games over the years. As a JC guy, some of my favorites include:

1992- JC 13 MC 11. An absolute battle between two heavyweights in front of 10,000 fans at Memorial Stadium. JCA took a 13-3 lead early in the second half when Matt Larsen destroyed a MC LB in route to a long touchdown run. MC scored late to make it close. I was fortunate enough to be on the sidelines as a coach for that epic game. The Hilltoppers would lose in the championship to WWS the following week in one of the all time best championship games.

2000 JC 28 Pontiac 20. A freezing cold day in Pontiac. Game went back and forth. Pontiac scored in last minute to tie the game at 20. JC blocked the extra point. Everyone was anticipating overtime, but JR Zwierzinski (sp) ran off tackle for about 80 yards while outrunning Santos Gonzales for a TD and the win.

1987 JC 35 Belvidere 14- A personal favorite. JC fell behind early, but turned it on the second half for the win. See attached artice. Some great names on that team (Lausch, Voss, Isaac and a younger USD24)

JC/Belvidere

;)
Hey don’t shortchange us. We got 15. Haha. It was a great atmosphere that day. The final score was not what I had hoped for. But it was farther at that time for an up and coming Belvidere program.

Reactions: USD24 and JAYC14
2008. Class 7A Semi-Final. East Side vs Glenbard West Hilltoppers. Hell of a game. Parade All-American and All State Terry "Blackcat" Hawthorne. Was dominate as u could be. He had 3 touchdowns in the first half. The most impressive one. Was when he took a bubble screen. Made a few people miss. Hit the sideline, and was endzone with his linemen with him. The play of the game. Was when on 4th down. East Side did the statue of 🗽 with Courtney Molton. They would go ahead and win the game and moved on to the championship game. Where they defeated Geneva Vikings for their 7th state title.

All..... The year is 2008. Sacred Heart-Griffin @ New Lenox Providence class 6A. Been waiting on this one since the 95 collapse. SHG opens up the season with a 34-31 non con loss in Springfield to Montini that rallied in the second half. Ken Leonard in the local paper said this team would have one one the greatest turn around seasons the school has known after that tough loss.

The Cyclones stud receiver John Lantz had cracked ribs and was wearing kind of a protective cage under his uniform. He was supposed to be used as decoy. Running and breathing was painful with an injury like that. The Celtics watched him but not close enough. He caught a td pass. Outstanding qb and rb play, a tough defense and the Cyclones win 24-17. The following week they defeat Lemont in the championship game 37-15 and end up 13-1. Ratsy P.S. Still waiting on reimbursement of my SHG flag that disappeared. lol

2001 semi Wheaton North at Stevenson. Joey Bonadonna and Bobby Giannini led the huge upset over a then unbeaten Falcons team. Worked for the herald covering the wild finish that saw Stevenson win 22-21. After the game one of the WN assistance accused us of helping Stevenson win the game. I asked what did we do to help you lose a two score fourth qtr lead, he didn’t like my question.

JC/Belvidere

;)
I was at the 1992 game. What an electric atmosphere !

2001 Semi Lincoln-Way at Maine South

Double OT victory for MS 35-34 in a really cold, snowy day. Tremendous back and forth game, LW kicker missing an XP at the end sealed it.

Big crowd, loud...weather didn't hinder the atmosphere at all

Probably a more talented LWC team than their 97 championship squad but MS matched them play for play that day.

• Love
Reactions: MS4EVER
Saw LA upset LWE several years ago. Also LA beat GBW in a back and forth game. Not sure which game was better, both were fantastic.

No doubt it was the 2004 CG team that took down a loaded and favored Morgan Park team at Gately Stadium. Huge shocker and an extremely close and intense game that CG pulled out 21-14. Morgan Park was loaded with D1 talent.

No doubt it was the 2004 CG team that took down a loaded and favored Morgan Park team at Gately Stadium. Huge shocker and an extremely close and intense game that CG pulled out 21-14. Morgan Park was loaded with D1 talent.
I remember this! It was in the early days of live streaming I think. I remember watching this and Morgan Park kept going deep over and over and over again with very few completions. Demetrius Jones was the qb.

Reactions: CGsupporter

JC/Belvidere

;)
I was at that freezing cold 2000 game in Pontiac. Back when Pontiac was a powerhouse and yes, Santos was extremely fast. JR did what JR did back in the day! Seems like the bigger the game, the better he played. That was a great game to watch.

2001 Semi Lincoln-Way at Maine South

Double OT victory for MS 35-34 in a really cold, snowy day. Tremendous back and forth game, LW kicker missing an XP at the end sealed it.

Big crowd, loud...weather didn't hinder the atmosphere at all

Probably a more talented LWC team than their 97 championship squad but MS matched them play for play that day.
My frost bitten toes remember that game well. Missed extra points HS one that bounced over the cross bar. It’s the first time I saw Taylor Bell frozen solid. Miserably cold day. And the field was hard as rocks

JC/Belvidere

;)
I deployed 5 days before that 92 semifinal game. I called my parents before I left for my goodbye call and my Dad was telling me who MC was playing (no internet I had no idea what happened back then unless I called home collect). He said some MC player mouthed off in the paper though about beating them. I left for deployment and by the time we got settled and were able to get mail for the first time was early January. I got a ton of Sports Newspaper clippings and I fully expected to see “MC wins 5th Straight State Title” instead I see “Joliet Catholic stuns Mt. Carmel”. I was already pissed from that miserable deployment and I went to rage mood!!!

Last edited:
I often think of some of the great LZ-GBW games. West winning at LZ on a last second TD catch on its way to a title. LZ winning at GBW with a backup QB on a miserably cold day. It’s a great playoff rivalry.

Saw LA upset LWE several years ago. Also LA beat GBW in a back and forth game. Not sure which game was better, both were fantastic.
The only time LA played GBW in a semi was 2016 and that was an absolute blowout 42-13 LA win. They have played GBN a couple times - 2011 and 2012 - and both were good games.

USD:

If you don't mind, I'm going to have to turn back the clock some forty years for one contest which has always remained with me. It's doubtful most here will ever recall this game.

Shortly after I married, I lived in Elmhurst where my wife was working on getting her career started. We had yet to have children so I was often able to get to Saturday games at nearby Immaculate Conception. As I became better acquainted with the area schools, I began to pay more attention to Wheaton North and the old WSCC schools. WNHS was a power and IC was a tough opponent so when I watched for the first time IC play Benet, I became more intrigued with the WSCC. At the time, Wheaton North had one the 4A title in 1979 and many in the area were predicting WNHS to roll to another championship in 1981.

Naturally, when WNHS hosted Benet for the 4A semi-final, my curiosity was aroused and I travelled to WHNS to witness the game. It was certainly worth my time. WNHS was undefeated; Benet had two losses. To which team Benet had suffered losses in 1981, I do not know; however, I had read and heard all week Wheaton North would prevail, easily. Expecting a blowout, I decided to sit on the WNHS side for the game.

The game was scoreless until about two minutes left in the game.

With under two minutes in the fourth quarter, Benet attempted to punt and Jim Juriga managed to get past the Benet line to block the punt. The ball rolled to about the Benet 5 yard line. Wheaton North scored and won the game. WNHS defeated Geneseo the following week.

This account could never do justice to the game, but it was one of the most-thrilling high school football games I ever saw.

2001 6A Semi-Final known as ‘The Fog Bowl’ in Oak Lawn on a Saturday night.

Richards 10
Carmel Catholic 0

Carmel Catholic amasses over 400+ yds of offense and gets inside the Richards 10yd line several times to produce zero points. Turnovers hurt CCHS as they lose 10-0 in a game that saw no offensive points scored by either team.

Richards RB Jason Orosco breaks his leg early in the game.

Richards LB Duran Johnson had 20+ tackles on the night. He was a difference-maker for the Bulldogs helping shut down the A and B gaps.

Great game even though the the outcome was not favorable for the Corsairs. Success was right around the corner, however.

Reactions: eireog
USD:

If you don't mind, I'm going to have to turn back the clock some forty years for one contest which has always remained with me. It's doubtful most here will ever recall this game.

Shortly after I married, I lived in Elmhurst where my wife was working on getting her career started. We had yet to have children so I was often able to get to Saturday games at nearby Immaculate Conception. As I became better acquainted with the area schools, I began to pay more attention to Wheaton North and the old WSCC schools. WNHS was a power and IC was a tough opponent so when I watched for the first time IC play Benet, I became more intrigued with the WSCC. At the time, Wheaton North had one the 4A title in 1979 and many in the area were predicting WNHS to roll to another championship in 1981.

Naturally, when WNHS hosted Benet for the 4A semi-final, my curiosity was aroused and I travelled to WHNS to witness the game. It was certainly worth my time. WNHS was undefeated; Benet had two losses. To which team Benet had suffered losses in 1981, I do not know; however, I had read and heard all week Wheaton North would prevail, easily. Expecting a blowout, I decided to sit on the WNHS side for the game.

With under two minutes in the fourth quarter, Benet attempted to punt and Jim Juriga managed to get past the Benet line to block the punt. The ball rolled to about the Benet 5 yard line. Wheaton North scored and won the game. WNHS defeated Geneseo the following week.

This account could never do justice to the game, but it was one of the most-thrilling high school football games I ever saw.
Interesting that you used to watch games at plunkett field. The Jack Lewis days were legendary to anyone who went to IC.

Taylor Bell wrote many times that the 1979 5A (there were only five classes) semi between Deerfield and St. Laurence was the best high school game he had ever seen. The game was at Gately and St. Laurence won on a 42 yard field goal with 8 seconds left, 17-14. Oh, and Deerfield's Greg Scarpone almost ran the kickoff back. Kicker got him by the shoe tops. VERY hard hitting game. And yes, I could be a bit biased.

Reactions: mmca and ignazio
eagles:

I lived in Elmhurst from 1977 to 1982. I saw probably two dozen IC games. In this time span, I rarely saw the Knights lose and I also saw one of the best quarterbacks I ever saw, Kevin Strasser.
Very cool. Yes I’ve heard of Strasser. Did you see any of the Morgan’s play? Or a Conroy?
IC had such a great tradition but had some dark years in the mid to late 90s. From 99-present they’ve always been solid to great.

USD:

I think the game was at Benet or Illinois Benedictine though.

I think the game was at Benet or Illinois Benedictine though.
falcon:

Perhaps I have it confused with a WNHS game a week or two earlier. I had also been to two Benet games prior to this semi-final. Either way, I thank you for the correction. It's been 40 years so I am sure you understand my memory is fading.

Reactions: Falcon86
Very cool. Yes I’ve heard of Strasser. Did you see any of the Morgan’s play? Or a Conroy?
IC had such a great tradition but had some dark years in the mid to late 90s. From 99-present they’ve always been solid to great.
eagles:

I don't recall many names. The only reason I remembered Strasser was because I think he went on to play at NU. What struck me most about IC under Jack Lewis was the "in-your-face" style of football played. IC's style was not foul or ignoble, but so straightforward. After only one year, I drew the conclusion Lewis had no more than ten running plays, always between the hedges, and two pass plays. IC just burned precious minutes off the clock, ground down its opponents, and played decent defense.

When my wife's career took us up to the northern suburbs in the mid-80s, I lost track of IC.

I think I had an exchange with you several years ago about a college classmate of mine whose sons went to Saint Francis in Wheaton. Do you recall this, by chance?

The only time LA played GBW in a semi was 2016 and that was an absolute blowout 42-13 LA win. They have played GBN a couple times - 2011 and 2012 - and both were good games.
Yeah the close game was in the 2nd round a few years ago

falcon:

Perhaps I have it confused with a WNHS game a week or two earlier. I had also been to two Benet games prior to this semi-final. Either way, I thank you for the correction. It's been 40 years so I am sure you understand my memory is fading.
You described the game very well from my memory. Benet pretty much held Louis Holland and Daryl Richardson in check.

Oh the great games I’ve seen.
2000 vs. Lincoln Way
Cold, huge crowd and snow towards the end of the game. I was standing on a chair as I watched Hawk WR Tony Traynor get open for the TD to send the game into OT. Magical!
2008 vs. The Bartlett freshman
Oh so cold. Hard hitting. Chippy. Slow start that ended well! State 08!!
2009 vs. Hollywood
Probably the best Hollywood defense I've ever seen. Pounded MS RB Matt Perez. They were so fast and big. Somehow MS won. Seniors never lost in high school.

#1 though for me has to be 2010 vs. Hollywood
LA went up 9 with under five minutes left. Then the Maine South Magic took over. TD, fumble in endzone TD, FG and finally stopping LA at the two yard line. I think I pulled a hammy celebrating.

Reactions: Slappy40
1989 The Dons beat Wheaton Central 6-3 in OT on a frozen field in the snow and the wind. I remember the Thornes, father and son, arguing about something that day. We won the right to get whipped by the Caravan in the finals but it was a fun run in spite of the final. Long time ND DC Dan DiFranza played for HC Mike Hennessey in what I believe was his 4th? Season.

Last edited:
Reactions: RockSoup
The Greatest game I have ever seen:

2004 semi final game- PC vs Mount Carmel

Celtics win stopping 2pt try by caravan. This is after defeating Caravan by a running clock victory in game 9. Amazing game! Amazing game doesn’t give the contest justice!

when the caravan lined up for the 2pt play- it was magic! The appeals to the blessed Virgin had to be at a world record in Gately

so many are truly blessed to have been a part of what I consider the best HS game I have ever seen.

Reactions: MC2023 and USD24
I have to add another semi-final game that my not have been a great game, but it left a lasting impression.

1982 Montini at Geneseo. I followed Montini football in the early 80's as I had a cousin who played for the Broncos. Montini had a great team that year led by Bob Westerkamp and John Karpowicz(sp). I remember anticipating another Montini route. I will never forget arriving in Geneseo and being in awe of the environment. The whole town was painted Green and Gold, the stands were packed and they had a cannon in the end zone. Just a great atmosphere. The game was a complete mismatch. The Maple Leaves just crushed Montini from the opening kick off. At the time, it was the most physical team I had ever seen. The final score was 46-15 and it probably wasnt even that close. Geneseo went on to win the title. This was my first taste of "rural" high school football and it was pretty cool.

What filled the highballs? Glenfiddich? Or is "Protestant punch" not strong enough for you?
My taste buds are spoiled by cheap liquor. I only drink those at open bar parties. The PP is also commonly referred to as Paisley’s Piss.

Reactions: MWittman
I have to add another semi-final game that my not have been a great game, but it left a lasting impression.

1982 Montini at Geneseo. I followed Montini football in the early 80's as I had a cousin who played for the Broncos. Montini had a great team that year led by Bob Westerkamp and John Karpowicz(sp). I remember anticipating another Montini route. I will never forget arriving in Geneseo and being in awe of the environment. The whole town was painted Green and Gold, the stands were packed and they had a cannon in the end zone. Just a great atmosphere. The game was a complete mismatch. The Maple Leaves just crushed Montini from the opening kick off. At the time, it was the most physical team I had ever seen. The final score was 46-15 and it probably wasnt even that close. Geneseo went on to win the title. This was my first taste of "rural" high school football and it was pretty cool.
I had a college roommate freshman year who played at Geneseo through 84 and he always bragged, rightfully so about their program. I came out of CG after a few dark years and the program started taking off in the late 80’s. CG is now where Geneseo is, a football community. It’s an awesome thing to be part of. And my roomie didn’t like being called a Maple Leaf. It’s The Green Machine baby!

Reactions: USD24
Weird having my name brought up 45 years after I played high school football. I have a brother who played at IC in the 60's and two brothers who were phenomenal basketball players at IC. I (Mark Morgan) played for Jack Lewis from 74-76 and the description of IC football was spot on. Those were the original glory years of IC football. In my 3 years we had a combined record of 25-6. The 74 team played West Chicago in the semi-finals in the first year of the state playoffs in Illinois. That was when there were only 5 classes. Think about this - we played Warren in our quarterfinal game the week before, yes that Warren. That was back when we played the first round game on Wednesday. I played with Keven Strasser who did play at Northwestern and was a great QB and also with Pete Conroy an excellent linebacker.

I'm also the same Morgan who was the Head Coach in 96 and 97. You are correct, those were dark years. I was the 5th head coach in six years and we struggled to get kids out for the team. My second year we were able to field a freshmen for the first time in a few years. Two years after I left, an excellent freshmen class came in from IC grade school and that team went on to win IC's first state championship in 2002. Coincidentally, I was an assistant at Driscoll Catholic who also won a state championship that year.

Last edited:
2 that I remember for Morris..

2001 vs Metamora in the fog Morris coming out on top 28-14 and 2007 vs Woodstock Marian with Jon Budmayr at QB with Morris winning 10-9

JC/Belvidere

;)
Not great games, but memorable environments….

2003 JC @Lasalle Peru in a very cool Saturday afternoon setting

2004 JC@Jacksonville in another pretty cool setting with a proud football town

2007 JC@Normal in a game that broke a really long Ironman win streak

99 Geneseo @JC was a decent environment too. 00 JC @Pontiac was awesome as was already stated. 01 Rochelle @JC was a festive atmosphere as well as 2011 SHG @ JC but those games both ended in the first quarter.

2012 Montini @JC I would rather forget as it was a 17 point blown fourth quarter lead for the Hillmen.

and 2018 hillcrest @JC was a good game for a half. Very cold. But it got chippy after halftime and hillcrest self destructed. Atmosphere was more tense than festive for this one .

Reactions: rocketnation
I believe Coach TK has been to seven (7) semifinals during his tenure. The one that I remember was in '06 where Cascia traveled to New Lenox and defeated Celtic 34 - 31.

It was a back and forth game with Peter Balsam basically running the QB draw up the middle which lead to several TDs. It was the last second FG by CPASteve's kid that put Rita on top.

I believe that game was on Channel 50 that night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT