ADVERTISEMENT

Glenbard West v. York predictions

Brett.Williams

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2022
Glenbard West v. York

Arguably the most intriguing matchup of the 2022 season. You couldn’t write a better story line for this one - top teams in the state, bitter rivals, personal hatred, last years result - it can’t get better than this.

put your predictions and thoughts below

Arguably the most intriguing matchup of the 2022 season. You couldn’t write a better story line for this one - top teams in the state, bitter rivals, personal hatred, last years result - it can’t get better than this.
Let’s pump the breaks a little. When any team from the WSS gets out of the second round in 8A then you can start claiming they have top teams in the state. The last time GW made it past the second round was 2016. York got bounced in the first round just like LT, OPRF and HC do every year. Also not sure if one win by the dukes makes them anyones bitter rivals. HC would have to be that school for the Hitters at this point.

Also I would say MS vs Warren was a better matchup before this game and LA Vs MC will be better afterwards.

Glenbard West v. York

put your predictions and thoughts below
Really? So LWE Vs Batavia wasn’t a bigger game? You can argue but no this isn’t the biggest game. I will go out on a limb and say that Loyola Vs MC will be a bigger game. I get your enthusiasm and understand the importance of the game but let’s not lose your head. Hopefully it is a good game.

Reactions: brucealmighy
Let’s pump the breaks a little. When any team from the WSS gets out of the second round in 8A then you can start claiming they have top teams in the state. The last time GW made it past the second round was 2016. York got bounced in the first round just like LT, OPRF and HC do every year. Also not sure if one win by the dukes makes them anyones bitter rivals. HC would have to be that school for the Hitters at this point.

Also I would say MS vs Warren was a better matchup before this game and LA Vs MC will be better afterwards.
I think GW and HC have a mutual respect rivalry, not a bitter rivalry. LT and HC have more of the bitter rivalry.

Either way, I do think this is the marquee game in the state this week, if for nothing else, it’s #3 vs. #4. The WSS is definitely better this year as a whole, even if a team like HC is struggling. These last few weeks won’t be a cake walk for anyone in the conference.

I’m saying two top teams based off the 8A rankings, where GBW is 2 and York is 3. Also, GBW and York HATE each other, This will not be a friendly game on the field or in the stands.

I’m saying two top teams based off the 8A rankings, where GBW is 2 and York is 3. Also, GBW and York HATE each other, This will not be a friendly game on the field or in the stands.
Last year was the first time York beat Glenbard West since 2007. I would put them pretty low on the rival list.

Also I would have to question any rankings that does not have Loyola and LWE as the top 2 teams in 8A.

Reactions: Irishfan90
Last year was the first time York beat Glenbard West since 2007. I would put them pretty low on the rival list.

Also I would have to question any rankings that does not have Loyola and LWE as the top 2 teams in 8A.
Valid. Should be a VERY fun one

@brucealmighy is the biggest WSC hater out there. Playoffs come down to matchups, and if you are talking about getting bounced by the eventual state champion, I don't see anything to be ashamed of there

Reactions: Brett.Williams
Historically York-GW was always the big game. Then GW got really bad in the 2000s. Then right as GW got good again, York’s AD chased their coach away and hired that Catholic League clown who somehow managed to set them back 10 years. York - GW is back to being the talk of both towns. Matt Bowen used to sneak York-GW references into his radio bits all the time, which I thought was funny.

Reactions: YoungBland
Historically York-GW was always the big game. Then GW got really bad in the 2000s. Then right as GW got good again, York’s AD chased their coach away and hired that Catholic League clown who somehow managed to set them back 10 years. York - GW is back to being the talk of both towns. Matt Bowen used to sneak York-GW references into his radio bits all the time, which I thought was funny.
Matt Bowen played in the mid-90s. Not many competitive games between the two since.

@brucealmighy is the biggest WSC hater out there. Playoffs come down to matchups, and if you are talking about getting bounced by the eventual state champion, I don't see anything to be ashamed of there
Sometimes the truth hurts. What has any school besides the Hitters done in the last decade? York made the playoffs for the first time in 14 years last season and promptly got blown out at home by a 5-4 team. HC was once again bounced at home before the quarterfinals. LT has never made a semifinal even though they are one of the biggest schools in 8A. DGN has but together some decent runs in 7A. Even GW struggles in the 8A playoffs having not made the final 8 since 2016. I will continue to call out the conference until they prove me wrong. Hopefully this is the year for not only the Hitters but the other teams in the conference.

I very much disagree with your assessment. brucealmighy is extremely knowledgeable about the WSC as a whole, and specifically GW and York. I feel his (sometimes) pragmatic outlook brings levity to obvious homers like myself.

I very much disagree with your assessment. brucealmighy is extremely knowledgeable about the WSC as a whole, and specifically GW and York. I feel his (sometimes) pragmatic outlook brings levity to obvious homers like myself.
Thanks @RD_Watcher ! Some new names around here this week so we have more folks to talk WSC with. It is the conference of the defending state champs is boys soccer and basketball (York&GW)

• Haha
Reactions: RD_Watcher
Thanks @RD_Watcher ! Some new names around here this week so we have more folks to talk WSC with. It is the conference of the defending state champs is boys soccer and basketball (York&GW)
If we are going with defending state championships, HC has Girls Tennis. So...

Don’t they win that every year? Isn’t it HC Vs New Trier in all the country club sports?
I would be lying to say I knew for sure. But yes, HC is a perineal participant at the state championship level for boys and girls golf, boys and girls swim and dive, and boys and girls tennis. They also were runner up for Gils LAX last year.

GWs boys v-ball is nationally ranked most years as well. Are York’s cross-country teams any good these days? Can’t argue with the conf. playoff woes in FB. GWs inability to develop QBs holds them back to some extent. They need a QB guru on staff, a wizard.

Agreed that you need a diverse offense to advance deep in 8A. When they were 7A they could get by with 80/20 run to play action. Also this year they seem to have the size on the lines that they had in their prime years.

Really? So LWE Vs Batavia wasn’t a bigger game? You can argue but no this isn’t the biggest game. I will go out on a limb and say that Loyola Vs MC will be a bigger game. I get your enthusiasm and understand the importance of the game but let’s not lose your head. Hopefully it is a good game.
You really don’t have to include LWE in every thread. People can have their opinions without injecting the Griffins into every thread.

Reactions: forlouann
I saw it mentioned somewhere that GW OL and future Badger, Chris Terek is injured. Can anyone confirm or deny?

For the record… not the current AD.

You won’t find a better AD and Principal than at York right now.

Everything starts at the top!
Yes, I was talking about the coach. However, I do have an issue with something those other 2 have done, but I won't derail the thread.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT