ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Night Videos: Throwback Videos

This could be - and after second thought - certainly the game after which I was the maddest.

Watch some of this ... tell me that Althoff was not screwed with all of those flags. Any gain of significance was nullified. There was no was Mercer should have even been close. But, that’s not what happened.

This could be - and after second thought - certainly the game after which I was the maddest.

Watch some of this ... tell me that Althoff was not screwed with all of those flags. Any gain of significance was nullified. There was no was Mercer should have even been close. But, that’s not what happened.
Ok - if you like football, watch the plays at 54:50 and then 1:50:00.

Caravan vs Cincinnati Moeller

Thanks for the videos, Kev. I didn't know that Carmel played Archbishop Moeller. I was in California in 1990. According to Wikipedia, Moeller has nine state championships in football and five and eight, respectively, in basketball and baseball. Under Gerry Faust, a great high school coach but an unsuccessful one at Notre Dame, Moeller had seven undefeated seasons. Notre Dame should have known not to hire a coach named Faust.

Last edited:
Thanks for the videos, Kev. I didn't know that Carmel played Archbishop Moeller. I was in California in 1990. According to Wikipedia, Moeller has nine state championships in football and five and eight, respectively, in basketball and baseball. Under Gerry Faust, a great high school coach but an unsuccessful one at Notre Dame, Moeller had seven undefeated seasons. Notre Dame should have known not to hire a coach named Faust.
Disclaimer: my reply will be based on my faulty memory from that time period and is probably NOT accurate. And I'm not going to look all this up but if anyone wants to research Cincinnati Moeller and prove that my faulty memory is in fact faulty, well go right ahead.

I think, Moeller was the recognized mythical High School National Champions for several years preceding this game. I think, JCA was also trying to get a game scheduled with Moeller around this same time period but couldn't get it finalized. Both schools back then had fairly tight travel restrictions and neither team could travel the entire distance to the other's home field. Somehow Mt Carmel was able to get this game scheduled at a neutral site (wasn't this one played at Soldiers Field?).

But it was sweet to see the Caravan lay some smack down on Cincinnati Moeller. :D:D

EDIT: I edited to correct sweat with sweet. This post will already have the Fact Police jumping all over me, I didn't need to add the Grammar Police to my beat down for such an obvious mistake. :D

Last edited:
mythical High School National Champions

I was happy to look it up. Moeller won five of those national championships in the late '70s and early '80s, so Carmel didn't catch them at their peak. Nonetheless, it was a signature win, coming in the middle of a Caravan four-peat, with Mike McGrew at quarterback. MC had no problem with CM. In fact, the 1980 title game with Hinsdale South was more exciting. MC won then as it wins now: with a pair of power running backs and a defense forcing turnovers. Fun game to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
NOT being a smart-ass, bc I would not save videos in which SR lost. But do you have that great MC-SR game in 89 at Gately?

Despite MC breaking my heart a week earlier, I was cheering hard for them against East St. Louis in 88
I’ve been searching for it for years as it was a outstanding game, but for whatever reason it wasn’t televised by Chicago’s former great “Sportschannel”. I used to have a burned VHS copy of a home made video my friends father shot of it on his 1983 Camcorder, but it got lost along the way in my many moves. I don’t think I could put it on You Tube because with some of his play by play language many would deem it offense. What a site though...Gatley at full capacity....I do have the 88 Semi Final at The Pit....classic mud bowl at that great stadium...talked about packed, guys were on roofs

Reactions: septon34
I’ve been searching for it for years as it was a outstanding game, but for whatever reason it wasn’t televised by Chicago’s former great “Sportschannel”. I used to have a burned VHS copy of a home made video my friends father shot of it on his 1983 Camcorder, but it got lost along the way in my many moves. I don’t think I could put it on You Tube because with some of his play by play language many would deem it offense. What a site though...Gatley at full capacity....I do have the 88 Semi Final at The Pit....classic mud bowl at that great stadium...talked about packed, guys were on roofs

Thank you for replying and making me laugh. One of your MC brethern gave me a copy of the game at the Pit in 88.

Hard to imagine better atmospheres for high school games than those at the PIt in 88 and Gately in 89

Reactions: McCaravan
Coach Frank pulled up Charles Frazier, who was a freshman, to the varsity roster for the playoffs. He played sophomore ball all season long and he was a man among boys on the sophomore team. Wish he could’ve been at MC all 4 years.
Charles and Vic Murphy were a outstanding running back duo but Catholic School and them didn't get along very well! If those 2 are in the backfield we win state in 1997 too. Frazier had a good career at Hubbard, I don't know where Murphy landed when he got booted. Where did Frazier end up going to College? Did he go JUCO?

Last edited:
Reactions: caravan8
I would love to see the first MC-PC game that was on TV in Joliet back in October of 98.

Reactions: forlouann
Here's a good one - great example of '80s HS football: don't abandon the run, then play like John Elway in a panic.

Charles and Vic Murphy were a outstanding running back duo but Catholic School and them didn't get along very well! If those 2 are in the backfield we win state in 1997 too. Frazier had a good career at Hubbard, I don't know where Murphy landed when he got booted. Where did Frazier end up going to College? Did he go JUCO?
Frazier went to Hampton then Joliet JC

Reactions: caravan8
Charles and Vic Murphy were a outstanding running back duo
I totally forgot about Vic Murphy. That backfield, and Octavius Bond on the outside at WR would have been great to see. I believe I heard that Charles was coaching somewhere in Indiana now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT