ADVERTISEMENT

Flyer & all Illinois Fans

corey90

Aug 27, 2005
Crown Point, IN
Let’s all get on the bandwagon and support the Flyers this week. They are playing a National power program in California. The number 3 team in the country. This maybe the biggest game an Illinois team has ever played. I feel compelled to support them in this huge game.

I personally wish them best of luck! Come on guys join me and jump on board and give them your support!

Go Flyers! Beat SJB at their home!!!

Anyone aware of a livestream/broadcast outlet for this game. I cannot seem to find one.

Let’s not kid ourselves, East Side will take an ass whipping. This game wasn’t intended for the sophomore quarterback, It was intended for Macon and Lovett, both of whom are now playing in the SEC. But East St. Louis agreed to the game again and they ain’t backing down, even when they are not loaded for bear.

East Side will play them with a a sophomore QB ..: understanding they may take ass whooping. So what?

Sometimes it happens.

Game on - let’s see how they do!

Reactions: Bowie50 and Gene K.
ESL is very undisciplined and raw. While they can hang with anyone in terms of athleticism, they make many many dumb mistakes on offense and special teams including more penalities than I've ever heard any team make. Here is the quote from the St. Louis Dispatch article covering the game... "Unofficially the Flyers were hit with 21 penalties that ranged from hits to the head, crack-back blocks, running into the punter, blocks in the back, and — more often than any other — holding.
At one point, East St. Louis was called for five consecutive penalties in the second quarter and gave itself a first-and-38 at its own 17-yard line. The Flyers faced first-and-forever any number of times.
“There is no play call for stuff like that,” Sunkett said. “When you get yourself in those types of situations you can’t have a positive outcome and we didn’t have many positive outcomes in the first half.”

With that said, ESL may hold Bosco to fewer points than their average, but unless they clean things up on offense, they can't rely on their athleticism to make enough first downs with all the penalties they receive against a team like Bosco. With that said, I'd say Bosco by 14 points,(taking the over on that) but I'm definitely rooting for ESL.

Reactions: sivada2001
How does the district handle the expense of sending a football team to California???

ESL is very undisciplined and raw. While they can hang with anyone in terms of athleticism, they make many many dumb mistakes on offense and special teams including more penalities than I've ever heard any team make. Here is the quote from the St. Louis Dispatch article covering the game... "Unofficially the Flyers were hit with 21 penalties that ranged from hits to the head, crack-back blocks, running into the punter, blocks in the back, and — more often than any other — holding.
At one point, East St. Louis was called for five consecutive penalties in the second quarter and gave itself a first-and-38 at its own 17-yard line. The Flyers faced first-and-forever any number of times.
“There is no play call for stuff like that,” Sunkett said. “When you get yourself in those types of situations you can’t have a positive outcome and we didn’t have many positive outcomes in the first half.”

With that said, ESL may hold Bosco to fewer points than their average, but unless they clean things up on offense, they can't rely on their athleticism to make enough first downs with all the penalties they receive against a team like Bosco. With that said, I'd say Bosco by 14 points,(taking the over on that) but I'm definitely rooting for ESL.

All while winning. Negative people will always find negative to speak on. Undisciplined teams don’t win state championships! Millions dollars Pros commit penalties.

Also, the lack of a kicking game (extra points) was the EXACT reason why they WON their first game!

good luck to your perfect team the rest of the season. ESL will be fine. Undisciplined and all.

All while winning. Negative people will always find negative to speak on. Undisciplined teams don’t win state championships! Millions dollars Pros commit penalties.

Also, the lack of a kicking game (extra points) was the EXACT reason why they WON their first game!

good luck to your perfect team the rest of the season. ESL will be fine. Undisciplined and all.
These were all facts he laid out there, I'm not even sure how you dispute that. Even the coach wasn't happy about it.

These were all facts he laid out there, I'm not even sure how you dispute that. Even the coach wasn't happy about it.
Who said something about being happy THAT particular game. They have played two. One game they made mistakes while the other they didn’t yet, the mistake game defines the team. Cut the BS or we can pretend. I’m fine either way.

Each high school game is different yet whenever there is a chance to throw around the word undisciplined some jump on it when referencing ESL.

There are some genuine fans on this board and you may be one of them. His post was a negative shot at ESL. The truth is the truth however I know the difference!

Who said something about being happy THAT particular game. They have played two. One game they made mistakes while the other they didn’t yet, the mistake game defines the team. Cut the BS or we can pretend. I’m fine either way.

Each high school game is different yet whenever there is a chance to throw around the word undisciplined some jump on it when referencing ESL.

There are some genuine fans on this board and you may be one of them. His post was a negative shot at ESL. The truth is the truth however I know the difference!
Looked like an honest and accurate assessment to me. Sometimes the truth hurts and I don't know one coach in the world that wouldn't point that out, even in a victory and even being 2-0. Those types of penalties, if not cleaned up, can cost you down the line.

Looked like an honest and accurate assessment to me. Sometimes the truth hurts and I don't know one coach in the world that wouldn't point that out, even in a victory and even being 2-0. Those types of penalties, if not cleaned up, can cost you down the line.
He is the same person in mid August that said ESL will go 5-4 this year by losing the first two games.

In all cases I accept reality and will never live in a fantasy world. ESL knows what they need to work on to compete Friday. Look at all the post in this thread. All were positive including the one that said ESL will get the butts kicked lol.

They don’t have to! This has been asked several times and the answer is the same. Schools pay to bring certain teams in to play.
Thats just crazy that high school has evolved into this type of thing for the elite programs, but a great thing for the ESL kids.

He is the same person in mid August that said ESL will go 5-4 this year by losing the first two games.

In all cases I accept reality and will never live in a fantasy world. ESL knows what they need to work on to compete Friday. Look at all the post in this thread. All were positive including the one that said ESL will get the butts kicked lol.

Nice try LHS. I said that they "could" go 5-4 NOT "would" go 5-4. As you know, if you watched the game ESL could easily have lost their first game, but emerged victor by one TD. (Yes, I watched it, did you?). If ESL had lost game 1, which could've gone either way and then lost to Bosco and IMG, that wasn't a stretch prediction. But again, I'm rooting for them, but rather calling balls and strikes as I see it. You assume that means I'm rooting against them, but maybe you can't understand that just because you think a team will lose, doesn't mean you aren't rooting for them to win. And lastly that's also why I quoted the coach in my comment who seems to agree with him more than he does you.

Nice try LHS. I said that they "could" go 5-4 NOT "would" go 5-4. As you know, if you watched the game ESL could easily have lost their first game, but emerged victor by one TD. (Yes, I watched it, did you?). If ESL had lost game 1, which could've gone either way and then lost to Bosco and IMG, that wasn't a stretch prediction. But again, I'm rooting for them, but rather calling balls and strikes as I see it. You assume that means I'm rooting against them, but maybe you can't understand that just because you think a team will lose, doesn't mean you aren't rooting for them to win. And lastly that's also why I quoted the coach in my comment who seems to agree with him more than he does you.

I was at both games but, you got it.

All... So I'm seeing the Flyers have petitioned the Ihsa to play up (6A) for two years and it's supposed to be approved next week. I'm sure you ESTL guys have a take on this. A change in conference directives? Ratsy

All... So I'm seeing the Flyers have petitioned the Ihsa to play up (6A) for two years and it's supposed to be approved next week. I'm sure you ESTL guys have a take on this. A change in conference directives? Ratsy
pretty simple. Isn't the whole conference in 7A. They just didn't want them going from 6 to 7A.

All.... Looks like preseason numbers show 2-7A and 3-8A. One thing is for sure especially if it's starts this season with a lot of Catholic exodus into 4A , class 5A suddenly looks quite a bit more attractive. 6A get ready.... Ratsy

• Love
Reactions: crusader_of_90
Are you trying to high Jack this post? It’s about wishing ESL good luck playing Bosco. 👍

I would like to hear some take aways from you Flyer fans.
I personally want to say thank you to the Flyers for having the balls to play the #3 team in the country. I have a few take aways after watching the game but want to hear your thoughts.

Reactions: Bowie50
Not a Flyers fan or follower really but I thought they played well. Had some mistakes and missed opportunities. I thought the 2nd TD drive by Bosco was aided by some debatable penalties but that’s what you get when you’re on the road against the #3 team in America. WR #3 played great, the QB stuck in there and looked really good at times and looked overwhelmed at other times. The offensive line needs to clean up some protections, not sure how much they will be challenged in the next 6 weeks or so before IMG. Not sure Flyer fans will agree with me here but I still think they need to try and develop some form of kicking game. I think they were inside the 15 yard line 2-3 times (possibly more) and went for it on 4th down. That’s a possible 9 points, not including some missed 2pt conversions that could be added points if you have the kicker for XP’s. Those points add up and can make a difference in these type of games.
I think this game will help ESL in their preparation for IMG. I’m not sure the IMG game will be closer or not, but I am excited to see the matchup of WR #3 going against a secondary at IMG that has 3 guys in the top 60 rankings on 247 Sports.

Reactions: corey90 and Bowie50
Not a Flyers fan or follower really but I thought they played well. Had some mistakes and missed opportunities. I thought the 2nd TD drive by Bosco was aided by some debatable penalties but that’s what you get when you’re on the road against the #3 team in America. WR #3 played great, the QB stuck in there and looked really good at times and looked overwhelmed at other times. The offensive line needs to clean up some protections, not sure how much they will be challenged in the next 6 weeks or so before IMG. Not sure Flyer fans will agree with me here but I still think they need to try and develop some form of kicking game. I think they were inside the 15 yard line 2-3 times (possibly more) and went for it on 4th down. That’s a possible 9 points, not including some missed 2pt conversions that could be added points if you have the kicker for XP’s. Those points add up and can make a difference in these type of games.
I think this game will help ESL in their preparation for IMG. I’m not sure the IMG game will be closer or not, but I am excited to see the matchup of WR #3 going against a secondary at IMG that has 3 guys in the top 60 rankings on 247 Sports.
Imo, outside of the nfl, fg are overrated. They are equivalent to the 18ft 2pt jump shot in basketball.

Wrt to extra points, good teams will be better than 50% on 2pt tries, esp with the ol and athletes esl has. I can think of two games the past 15ish years (playoff games vs richards and mt carmel) where a lack of kicking game hurt them.

2 weeks ago vs cbc, they could have very well lost that game had there been 6xp instead of 6 2pt conversions

Reactions: RockSoup
I would like to hear some take aways from you Flyer fans.
I personally want to say thank you to the Flyers for having the balls to play the #3 team in the country. I have a few take aways after watching the game but want to hear your thoughts.
In short, missed opportunities offensively were the difference between coming away with the W vs. where we ultimately ended up. In the first two drives, we missed a passes in the end zone that we usually cash in, that puts us up 14-0. But in reality, there was no way that the officials would have let a team from Illinois dethrone one of their beloved and nationally respected programs. Ending the first quarter 0-0 had their fans stunned. They rode LBIII all night, but called pass interference on us. Regardless, I feel that we showed that Illinois schools can play with the best of them and IMO, I think that our highly respected programs in Illinois should take it to these national powerhouses to increase our national stock.

Imo, outside of the nfl, fg are overrated. They are equivalent to the 18ft 2pt jump shot in basketball.

Wrt to extra points, good teams will be better than 50% on 2pt tries, esp with the ol and athletes esl has. I can think of two games the past 15ish years (playoff games vs richards and mt carmel) where a lack of kicking game hurt them.

2 weeks ago vs cbc, they could have very well lost that game had there been 6xp instead of 6 2pt conversions
To say fieldgoals are overrated in FBS football is astoundingly dense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT