Position: DT/DE

High School:
Warren Township

Graduation Year: 2019

Height: 6-foot-4

Weight: 250 pounds

Video Link:

My impressions of Zack Pelland
I was able to see Zack Pelland work in person this winter at my annual Underclassmen Showcase. Pelland, who is a very high level student in the classroom (4.61 GPA on a 4.0 scale) will be a three year varsity starter for the Blue Devils and head coach Bryan McNulty in 2018. Pelland, who played tight end, defensive end and defensive tackle in 2017 was also an all conference and all area selection last fall. Pelland plans to major in either Biomedical Engineering or Pre Med.

Evaluation of Zack Pelland:
Pelland is a very good sized kid who can play either defensive end or tackle at the college level. Pelland has a big frame and already possesses good size....yet is also more than capable/has the frame to add more size and bulk if needed. Pelland has a very good first step, way above quickness and a good first step as well. Pelland also pursues well and can run sideline to sideline when needed. Pelland also has a good nose for the football, finishes his tackles well and is also a technically sound linemen.

Questions or possible room for improvement for Zack Pelland? Pelland for me right now id a definite tweener at least from a physical/positional standpoint. Huh? Will colleges want Pelland to stay inside at defensive tackle, add a bit more weight and bulk? Or will they keep Pelland as more of a strong side DE at the college level....keep his weight around the same range and add a bit more speed/quickness? I personally see Pelland playing inside as a 280-285 pound defensive tackle yet opinions will no question vary. Pelland at times forgets to use his hands in traffic and will need to improve his overall hands/hand fighting technique. Pelland will also need to develop more of a bag of tricks and technique when it comes to his pass rushing abilities. Pelland will also need to continue to work on his overall speed/quickness and agility/bend.

Projected level:

Rivals.com currently has Zack Pelland unranked by Rivals.com. I was really impressed getting to watch Pelland this past January. Pelland has as mentioned great size/frame and wioll get even a bit bigger and stronger sooner rather than later. Pelland is also a highly intelligent kid on and off the field who also has a great motor.

I would start Zack Pelland as a high two star ranked name with a chance to develop into a low to mid 3 star later this coming year.

Pelland's recruiting process is also going to be an interesting one to watch on several levels. I feel Pelland has the ability to play at say the lower to mid D1 level. However, this is a kid who has high level academics who plans to become a doctor...and do those same low to mid tier D1 schools offer anything remotely close academically to what Pelland is seeking? In 98 percent of the cases...no. Pelland will no question shoot for the Northwestern's the Vanderbilt's and some other high level D1 academic schools. Pelland will also no question get roster spot offers from say the Ivy League/Pioneer League schools...yet while the academic side is met can he and his family take on the financial burden?

Stay tuned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News