ADVERTISEMENT

ESL football classic 2024

Crusader
The 4 teams you mentioned will give any team in the country fits. These programs know how to play and would represent Illinois well no matter who it is.
That's not what I meant - neither of those GA teams are national powers, but top-notch, top-state teams.

No team in IL can hang with the top US teams. Hell, even Atacocita, top 15 in Texas at best, blows the doors off any IL team. Just too much speed. That game was crazy fast!

Being from the South Side & South Burbs & former player & long time fan & historian of IHSA football who now lives in East Tennessee I heard some news. On the Coach T site the Tennessee version of Edgy Tim it is reported LWE reached out to Alcoa who declined. Travel & the turnaround to play a big game on Thursday could be a factor. They have $$$$$ & the airport is right by Alcoa High School. I’m sure they could get a cheap flight into St Louis & back

Last edited:
I mean if it was a financial thing then they would have never signed up in the first place.
I suppose it could be possible that they relied heavily on a summer fundraiser that fell well below expectations

Crusader
The 4 teams you mentioned will give any team in the country fits. These programs know how to play and would represent Illinois well no matter who it is.
I have a ton of respect for those teams but to say they would give “every team in the country fits” is just not likely it to be true.

ESL, an extremely good football team, really struggled with Atosocita last year. That Atosocita team likely struggles immensely with the Bishop Gorman’s and Mater Dei’s of the world.

I love my some IL high school football but there are levels to this and the elite national teams tend to be a cut above. I think Gorman has basically all 22 starters eventually going P4

I have a ton of respect for those teams but to say they would give “every team in the country fits” is just not likely it to be true.

ESL, an extremely good football team, really struggled with Atosocita last year. That Atosocita team likely struggles immensely with the Bishop Gorman’s and Mater Dei’s of the world.

I love my some IL high school football but there are levels to this and the elite national teams tend to be a cut above. I think Gorman has basically all 22 starters eventually going P4
Okay maybe not fits but I do believe they would hold their own. I know Mater Dei very well, we played them when I was in high school. Long time ago yes but we held our own and I will tell you we were no LWE. Don’t sell Illinois elite short. We may not win but we could hang. IMO

• Haha
Reactions: UAGoofy
Okay maybe not fits but I do believe they would hold their own. I know Mater Dei very well, we played them when I was in high school. Long time ago yes but we held our own and I will tell you we were no LWE. Don’t sell Illinois elite short. We may not win but we could hang. IMO
FWIW calpreps has a matchup of Mater Dei and LWE from last year predicted at 49-0 in favor of Mater Dei. This year would be 56-0.

It is a different world now with these elite programs and the national reach they now have to get top players.

For some more perspective on national powers. From last season:
ESL got handled easily by Atascocita, who is a top 10ish team in Texas. Atascocita got handled easily by Summer Creek. Summer Creek lost by 60! to DeSoto.

I know the transitive score thing doesn’t always hold up, but most of the time it does.

So as it stands now, East opens with Maine South and closes with Naperville Central. The middle 7 games feature a bye, 4 teams that went .500 or less (2 @ 5-5, 2 @ 3-6) then 2 with 4 losses. Ya gotta play what you are dealt, though, and it IS a new season for all.

Reactions: net-se and MMA_Det
So as it stands now, East opens with Maine South and closes with Naperville Central. The middle 7 games feature a bye, 4 teams that went .500 or less (2 @ 5-5, 2 @ 3-6) then 2 with 4 losses. Ya gotta play what you are dealt, though, and it IS a new season for all.

This might be the states most heavily recruited class of QB’s that I can ever recall.

Edgy… a comprehensive look at this years class would be a fantastic read

LIFTED FROM ELSEWHERE ...

Lift for Life, the No. 8 small school in the STLhighschoolsports.com preseason rankings, is coming off three consecutive district titles and was 8-5 last season.

Lift for Life has never advanced past the quarterfinal round since it began football in 2010.

The Hawks struggled for the first eight years of their existence, only scrapping together 14 wins. Since 2018, under former coach Charles Bass, the Hawks won 47 games and three district titles, including last season.

Woolfolk and the new coaching staff have stepped in to help provide a spark as the Hawks try to get over that edge.

Before getting hired in January by Lift for Life, Woolfolk was an assistant at Vianney. Prior to that, he served as an assistant for two state championship teams at St. Mary's.

Ridgel had 941 rushing yards and six touchdowns last season as a running back but that doesn't appear to be in his future this season.

As dynamic as Ridgel was running the ball, Woolfolk has already put his touches on the program by shifting him to the safety position.

"College recruiters are talking to him and they like him at the DB position," Woolfolk said. "That kid is going to play on Saturdays one day. I don't want to beat his body up as much. When it comes to the running back position, it'll be by committee. He'll be a very intricate piece for us on the defensive side of the ball."

Mikell Burden, who caught 15 passes for 528 yards and six scores, returns on the offensive side of the ball.

Defensively, John Young and Alan Pointer are back to lead a deep defensive line group. Pointer finished last year with 29 tackles and tied for the team lead with six sacks.

When he arrived on campus and started meeting with his players, Woolfolk was convinced he had a special team. He immediately started researching the powerhouses in Class 2 and Class 3 in preparation for the season.

"I'm not here to hold back," Woolfolk said. "I'm here to win, and I want to coach guys that want to play football as their first career choice. That's when I'm aiming for — a state championship. "

LIFTED FROM ELSEWHERE ...

Lift for Life, the No. 8 small school in the STLhighschoolsports.com preseason rankings, is coming off three consecutive district titles and was 8-5 last season.

Lift for Life has never advanced past the quarterfinal round since it began football in 2010.

The Hawks struggled for the first eight years of their existence, only scrapping together 14 wins. Since 2018, under former coach Charles Bass, the Hawks won 47 games and three district titles, including last season.

Woolfolk and the new coaching staff have stepped in to help provide a spark as the Hawks try to get over that edge.

Before getting hired in January by Lift for Life, Woolfolk was an assistant at Vianney. Prior to that, he served as an assistant for two state championship teams at St. Mary's.

Ridgel had 941 rushing yards and six touchdowns last season as a running back but that doesn't appear to be in his future this season.

As dynamic as Ridgel was running the ball, Woolfolk has already put his touches on the program by shifting him to the safety position.

"College recruiters are talking to him and they like him at the DB position," Woolfolk said. "That kid is going to play on Saturdays one day. I don't want to beat his body up as much. When it comes to the running back position, it'll be by committee. He'll be a very intricate piece for us on the defensive side of the ball."

Mikell Burden, who caught 15 passes for 528 yards and six scores, returns on the offensive side of the ball.

Defensively, John Young and Alan Pointer are back to lead a deep defensive line group. Pointer finished last year with 29 tackles and tied for the team lead with six sacks.

When he arrived on campus and started meeting with his players, Woolfolk was convinced he had a special team. He immediately started researching the powerhouses in Class 2 and Class 3 in preparation for the season.

"I'm not here to hold back," Woolfolk said. "I'm here to win, and I want to coach guys that want to play football as their first career choice. That's when I'm aiming for — a state championship. "
Thank you, any comparison on class 2/3 to IHSA?

The STL privates play at a high level in a six-class system. The top big boys are CBC and DeSmet; the next tier, based on size is Cardinal Ritter and Lutheran North. Then you had smaller schools like MICDS and St. Mary's. That is where Lift for Life is now.

With STM fading away, LfL can be expected to gain players to strengthen a burgeoning program.

This will be a good test for St. Francis, who better practice pursuit angles this week.

Reactions: ODirty1
The STL privates play at a high level in a six-class system. The top big boys are CBC and DeSmet; the next tier, based on size is Cardinal Ritter and Lutheran North. Then you had smaller schools like MICDS and St. Mary's. That is where Lift for Life is now.

With STM fading away, LfL can be expected to gain players to strengthen a burgeoning program.

This will be a good test for St. Francis, who better practice pursuit angles this week.
Interesting tiers Crusader put out.

Lift for Life in 2023 lost to Ritter 32-0
Lift for Life in 2023 lost to QND 20-6

QND has played a number of STL programs over the years.
Vashon
STM
John Burroughs
Lift for Life
Soldan
St. Charles Lutheran
Duchesne

Last edited:
Any Metro guys have any info on Lift for Life Academy?

Completely different team from last year. The line will have some size but toughness is a question. In some position the skill will be above average. (WR comes to mind). A couple of the kids can run however, the others are average to below average.

Thank you
maxpreps has some short recap vids you should be able to watch. The Ritter v. Lift for Life recap is on there from 23 as well as their W1 against Duchesne. Might at least give you some idea of what you'll see as far as size and some speed.

I know last season I was surprised at their size. They were big, but lacked in discipline and athleticism in some areas. Obviously a lot can change in a year but I think St. Francis should be fine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT