ADVERTISEMENT

ESCC Scheduling

godfthr53

Gold Member
Sep 8, 2008
The ESCC must have heard some of the calls on the message board. ESCC Friday nights will consist of Varsity game only at 7pm. Frosh and JV on Saturday.

The ESCC must have heard some of the calls on the message board. ESCC Friday nights will consist of Varsity game only at 7pm. Frosh and JV on Saturday.
I don't like it! I think you will start to have less under classmen of the student body showing up to the games. Also a lot of parents have to work on Saturdays.

Reactions: mylittlearcher
I don't like it! I think you will start to have less under classmen of the student body showing up to the games. Also a lot of parents have to work on Saturdays.
I'm torn. I feel like most Soph games were empty anyways. Could be an opportunity for schools to do some pregame festivities such as tailgates. And games will be ON TIME! I know Edgy likes that.

I agree but getting to the soph game on Fridays at 5pm was also equally impossible at times.

Reactions: Q5clan
Surprised as this will cost schools more money.

The bigger change you missed is that essentially the ESCC has done away with Soph. football. Going to have JV games instead to allow for Juniors to play on JV level. 1 or 2 of the bigger programs (ND and Marist) might still have a strictly Soph team and play outside of the conference. Saturdays make it tougher on parents and coaches (think of coaches with no kids in program) who now have Friday nights and Saturdays on the field. The other side of the coin is that Juniors who don't play in game Friday night can play Saturday.

The bigger change you missed is that essentially the ESCC has done away with Soph. football. Going to have JV games instead to allow for Juniors to play on JV level. 1 or 2 of the bigger programs (ND and Marist) might still have a strictly Soph team and play outside of the conference. Saturdays make it tougher on parents and coaches (think of coaches with no kids in program) who now have Friday nights and Saturdays on the field. The other side of the coin is that Juniors who don't play in game Friday night can play Saturday.
Good point. I also think it's a nod to declining numbers. Marist, ND and Benet still have adequate numbers to field a soph. team. Many other ESCC schools do not. I know Marian Central and Marian Catholic did not have soph teams this year.

Good point. I also think it's a nod to declining numbers. Marist, ND and Benet still have adequate numbers to field a soph. team. Many other ESCC schools do not. I know Marian Central and Marian Catholic did not have soph teams this year.

Benet will not have a Soph. team next year. Frosh & JV, no Soph.

Will it though. You can now charge Saturday morning for 2 games. I can see it making the school more money.
Never been to a freshmen game where anybody had to pay to get in. My guess is they will not charge for either game. If they do, I am pretty sure very few people will be willing to pay.

Why, they are generally different crews. Periodically we used to get Gooms for the Soph/JV game and then he'd join us in the stands for the varsity game.
So Gooms was an unofficial member of the INP?

Never been to a freshmen game where anybody had to pay to get in. My guess is they will not charge for either game. If they do, I am pretty sure very few people will be willing to pay.
If I'm a school I would charge. Most of your fans will have your "season pass" and won't pay anyways. So visitors will pay the $5 to get in. Are you seriously telling me that a family member won't come to their sons game because they have to pay $5 and its a Saturday. The same $5 they would pay the night before. Also the Frosh and JV are hosted by the opposite school that hosting the Varsity contest. So I would charge for the Saturday games and you get revenue for all 9 weeks.

I think this is unfortunate for sophomores. I loved playing as a sophomore on Friday nights before the varsity. After the game, you joined your teammates to watch the varsity play.... good times. I would imagine that some of the sophomore parents will be happy though, not having to make some of the brutal commutes that come with playing in this conference on a Friday afternoon/evening.

I think this is unfortunate for sophomores. I loved playing as a sophomore on Friday nights before the varsity. After the game, you joined your teammates to watch the varsity play.... good times. I would imagine that some of the sophomore parents will be happy though, not having to make some of the brutal commutes that come with playing in this conference on a Friday afternoon/evening.
I wonder how much commute played into this. I bet a lot. Most sophs probably had to get out of school early just to make conference games.

Why, they are generally different crews. Periodically we used to get Gooms for the Soph/JV game and then he'd join us in the stands for the varsity game.

Just guys that do lower level games will also sometimes ref youth games and there are a ton of youth games on Saturday’s.

No they are always different crews. If anything it makes it easier. It frees up JV refs Friday night.

We have never in 15 years had a different crew for the Varsity game when Sophs play the same day.

If I'm a school I would charge. Most of your fans will have your "season pass" and won't pay anyways. So visitors will pay the $5 to get in. Are you seriously telling me that a family member won't come to their sons game because they have to pay $5 and its a Saturday. The same $5 they would pay the night before. Also the Frosh and JV are hosted by the opposite school that hosting the Varsity contest. So I would charge for the Saturday games and you get revenue for all 9 weeks.
Never said that Family members wouldn't pay, I think few outside of family members will pay. Plus if most families have a season pass and wont have to pay anyways why bother charging? I just don't see many people showing up. I love PR football but I am not showing up to watch the freshmen or Jv/Sophmore game. The only reason I ever see any of those games is when I get to the Varsity game early to get a good seat.

What about those non-con games where ESCC schools play schools with soph teams but no JV teams? Will those schools with soph teams agree to have their sophs play ESCC JV teams? Or will ESCC schools find it more difficult to schedule non-con games against those other schools without JV programs?

Reactions: USD24
What about those non-con games where ESCC schools play schools with soph teams but no JV teams? Will those schools with soph teams agree to have their sophs play ESCC JV teams? Or will ESCC schools find it more difficult to schedule non-con games against those other schools without JV programs?
I don't know but I do know that Naz agreed to play our Sophs vs JV sqauads this past year.

Different conferences have different policies about football crews. Some like DVC, West Suburban, SWSC have different crews for sophomore and varsity. Others like the Southland and South Suburban have one crew that cover both games

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT