ADVERTISEMENT

EastSide Moved UP in the National Rankings

Oh national rankings. They must be more clearly defined and objective.

Reactions: mc140
I think the ESL D is outstanding.

I did think ESL could lean on anyone in the country. They did not dominate, but hell, they held their own. It was - a term not used lightly - an epic battle. Totally worth the 20 Bucks paid to watch them and CBC.

Pops may not be a big major recruit. But he is a Bad MoFo! I understand his name. He’s the Boss.

I know I did not answer directly
As
You asked @Cross Bones, but I can’t say if an opponent was better. I can say this D - yup. They will likely have better offense with lesser opponents. STf does not suck.
Back in 18 when I went to the Classic, HF player Lutheran North. Lutheran North boasted a bunch of D1 players and really passed the eye test. This HF team, not so much on the D1 recruits. The two teams played a close 1st half, but HF put on a football clinic in the 2nd half to win by 3 TDs.

HF just played better football. Last years Bosco would have dismantled this SFA, they're both physically imposing, but from my view in front of my monitor Bosco played far better football. Flyers had the W in hand.

Illinois has some schools that play some good football. It's okay to not be #1.

Reactions: Silver Rain
ESL has amazing talent, they always do. They take on the nations best, even though they often lose to them, they don’t back down, and I give them major props for that. But I saw MC knock them out of the playoffs in 2017 and 2018 with far, far less big names talent because they played a more disciplined game. The amount of penalties that I saw in those games on ESL that killed drives were astronomical. Plus, the extra lack of a kicking game really hurt them. I saw a similar game when they lost to CG. They shoot themselves in the foot too often in close games.

At a minimum I would take Lincoln Way East, Loyola and Mt. Carmel over the Flyers this year. Last time we saw them play a game in Illinois they lost to a team that attempted 2 passes.
CG was actually very good last year. Let’s not act like they lost to a bad team. And let’s be honest, no one up north takes ESL over Loyola and Mt. Carmel, any year. I don’t care if we had Tom Brady…

National rankings after one week are silly. Take care of your state first and then talk about National. It’s like a tallest midget, er little person contest. And it’s not a knock on ESL before some get their panties in a bind. I’m talking about ratings period.

Reactions: Gene K. and Oddy
ESL has amazing talent, they always do. They take on the nations best, even though they often lose to them, they don’t back down, and I give them major props for that. But I saw MC knock them out of the playoffs in 2017 and 2018 with far, far less big names talent because they played a more disciplined game. The amount of penalties that I saw in those games on ESL that killed drives were astronomical. Plus, the extra lack of a kicking game really hurt them. I saw a similar game when they lost to CG. They shoot themselves in the foot too often in close games.
Definitely agree.

CG was actually very good last year. Let’s not act like they lost to a bad team. And let’s be honest, no one up north takes ESL over Loyola and Mt. Carmel, any year. I don’t care if we had Tom Brady…
CG was great last year and played the perfect game to get the win.

Reactions: CGsupporter
On my Mama's eyes, they did not have stupid penalties this weekend. Maybe a couple - but not the ignorant ones. They had a clean game.

Back in 18 when I went to the Classic, HF player Lutheran North. Lutheran North boasted a bunch of D1 players and really passed the eye test. This HF team, not so much on the D1 recruits. The two teams played a close 1st half, but HF put on a football clinic in the 2nd half to win by 3 TDs.

HF just played better football. Last years Bosco would have dismantled this SFA, they're both physically imposing, but from my view in front of my monitor Bosco played far better football. Flyers had the W in hand.

Illinois has some schools that play some good football. It's okay to not be #1.
I think the goal is to be the best. In state and out. You won’t get the recognition by just playing in Illinois. If we play Loyola week one, it doesn’t do much besides gives us More to chat about. I agree with your comparison above. D1 recruits doesn’t make your team superior. It’s an all around team game and on the big stage, the holes are exposed. I think people would prefer ESL to dominate Illinois first, then step out on the big stage. Me not so much. I personally think the exposure is what helps these kids get the big offers. Big time programs are watching schools like Bosco and SFA. They too play out of state, and lose. ESL is actually bringing attention to Illinois high school football in a good way.

On my Mama's eyes, they did not have stupid penalties this weekend. Maybe a couple - but not the ignorant ones. They had a clean game.
I agree crusader…no excessive holding or multiple offsides penalties. I was rather impressed during the first half with our water containment..

Reactions: crusader_of_90
I think the ESL D is outstanding.

I did think ESL could lean on anyone in the country. They did not dominate, but hell, they held their own. It was - a term not used lightly - an epic battle. Totally worth the 20 Bucks paid to watch them and CBC.

Pops may not be a big major recruit. But he is a Bad MoFo! I understand his name. He’s the Boss.
I just think we lack the offensive firepower this year. Who’s going to be that game changer on offense?

I think the goal is to be the best. In state and out. You won’t get the recognition by just playing in Illinois. If we play Loyola week one, it doesn’t do much besides gives us More to chat about. I agree with your comparison above. D1 recruits doesn’t make your team superior. It’s an all around team game and on the big stage, the holes are exposed. I think people would prefer ESL to dominate Illinois first, then step out on the big stage. Me not so much. I personally think the exposure is what helps these kids get the big offers. Big time programs are watching schools like Bosco and SFA. They too play out of state, and lose. ESL is actually bringing attention to Illinois high school football in a good way.
Yeah, I think some people are upset that these games are being played. That's not me. They should do whatever they want to, unapologetically.

I just wish there was a way that they could play top programs in state as well as out of state so there was less speculation and absurd rhetoric in these discussions.

These rankings are based on an algorithm and reward playing other highly ranked teams regardless of result. As a result, they are unlikely to be a measurement of a team's comparison to other teams who see that as folly. In addition to that, the algorithm has a MASSIVE margin of error early in the season when the sample size of games is so small.

I just think we lack the offensive firepower this year. Who’s going to be that game changer on offense?
This was the real question all along. Everyone knows they just reload, but their entire scoring offense against good teams was basically one person last year. He probably made alot of the people around him look better than they otherwise might have been on offense. Will be curious to see as season progresses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT