USD 6 - 4 (.60)
StonedLizard 19 - 16 (.54)
GodFather 7 - 8 (.46)

NC 24-20
WWS 37-35*
WN 21-14
NV 10-7
MV 28-21

* WWS is my upset pick of the week, they are playing a little better and NN is wildly inconsistent so I think the Tigers pick them off.

Going with a handful of underdogs this week

LP 27-21
WWS 37-31
WN 28-21
GN 21-17
MV 14-6

Going with a handful of underdogs this week

LP 27-21
WWS 37-31
WN 28-21
GN 21-17
MV 14-6

LP/ NC game is the most interesting game this week since outside of the QB position I think LP is the more talented team.

Well I did ok with my Theme last week ("how many WK 9 games with major implications can be engineered if VooDoo goes 5-0 with his WK 8 picks") and so now must do the follow up "How many DVC teams can make the playoffs if VooDoo goes 5-0 with his WK 9 picks"?)

NC 6-2/C6-1 at LP 5-3/C5-2
You know I love me some Lake Park. I have been picking them most of the weeks of this season. However, Only WN has contained Reed this year and Wheaton North has the best defense in the DVC this year according to scoring defense, so I think Thorne/Reed put their team on their backs and win by a TD late. NC wins the conference outright and makes the playoffs (playoff team 1) and LP falls to 5-4 and makes the playoffs with their high playoff points (playoff team 2 - in order of the games listed - not by DVC finish so please don't yell at Voodoo - I'm not doing a final DVC ranking finish in this thread).

NN 5-3/C4-3 at WWS 2-6/C1-6:
Shootout Central - the score could be 49-42.
Both Offenses Good.
Both Defenses....Well.....Inconsistent?
I will take Davis and his receivers as the difference makers in the 4th Quarter. NN finishes 6-3 (playoff team 3).

WV 4-4/C4-3 at WN 6-2/C5-2:
This should be a real battle. Wait strike that. Can't use Battle (too close to war). This should be a slugfest using pillowcases filled with soap bars from the movie Full Metal Jacket. Everything says WN should be a huge favorite in this game - but I'm going with my Warriors by a field goal (that we make and does not get blocked or muffed or one of the other 25 calamities that have popped up this year). WV improves to 5-4 and is playoff team 4 with lots of playoff points and WN finishes at 6-3 and playoff team 5!

GBN 4-4/C3-4 at NV 5-3/C4-3:
There is something about GBN that seems to be either Red Kryptonite or Green Kryptonite to the NV Wildcats. Not sure why. In 2015 GBN beat NV 42-28 and then last year in 2016 they beat a very very good DVC co champion NV team 35-14. I don't see this years score so lopsided - but GBN pulls out a victory in OT to become playoff eligible (playoff team 6!). Neuqua falls to 5-4 BUT picks up a win from Thornwood and Metea Valley to get 6 playoff points to put them at 38 and in the fold (playoff team 7!!!!!)

MV 0-8/C0-8 at Rock Island 4-4.
I don't care if Metea is playing with their soph or frosh or middle school QB - they need to find a way to win this one AND I think they do! MV wins, and finishes the year on a high note to start gearing up as the primary Dukane Non Conference opponent for 2018 and 2019!

If all goes according to VooDoo's evil plan - there will be SEVEN DVC teams in the playoffs! Surely with 7 we will have some good matchups in Round One and a couple teams advance before the conspiracy theorists rush in and create all DVC round 2 matchups?

Last edited:
Reactions: pjjp
Naperville Central @ Lake Park - Naperville Central
Naperville North @ Wheaton Warrenville South - Naperville North
Waubonsie Valley @ Wheaton North - Wheaton North
Glenbard North @ Neuqua Valley - Neuqua Valley
Metea Valley @ Rock Island - Metea Valley

Naperville Central @ Lake Park
Naperville North @ Wheaton Warrenville South
Waubonsie Valley @ Wheaton North
Glenbard North @ Neuqua Valley
Metea Valley @ Rock Island

Everyone knows Football is a game. So I am going to use my best game metaphors to describe this weeks action.

I see this one as a cross between Shoots and Ladders and Rock em Sock em Robots. Lake Park will put up a tremendous effort but NC will find a way to win in the end to clinch the DVC crown
NC 24 LP 21
This one is pretty much Battleship and Mouse Trap combined. NN firing missiles (metaphoric ones) all over the field while WWS tries to lure the Drake into a trap. Will probably be a microcosm of the season for the Tigers as they will come up a bit short in the end.
NN 35 WWS 34
The game that WN has been waiting for all year. The chance to do to Waubonsie what they did to them last year. Knock them out of the playoffs. The Falcons have only given up 21 points on their home field all season and two of those were on short fields after turnovers. Expect a VERY physical game. Game? What game metaphor for this one? Something old school like Checkers. WN will be playing checkers. Can WV play enough chess to win? Will desperation lead to better play or more mistakes?
WN 21 WV 14
The GAME of the week IMHO. Glenbard North will play all their defensive players on offense probably bring up all their best Freshmen and Sophomores and tape together the leg of some wrestler who has been out all season to make a heroic comeback. So this week's game is Survivor and I believe GBN survives in a close one.
GBN 17 NV 14
This is your classic game of Hungry Hungry Hippos. Everyone fighting for the ball to score the most points and win. I don't know much about Rock Island but they have to be pretty tough playing on an Island of Rocks.
RI 42 MV 21

Good luck to all the DVC teams in the PLAYOFFS!

Well I did ok with my Theme last week ("how many WK 9 games with major implications can be engineered if VooDoo goes 5-0 with his WK 8 picks") and so now must do the follow up "How many DVC teams can make the playoffs if VooDoo goes 5-0 with his WK 9 picks"?)

NC 6-2/C6-1 at LP 5-3/C5-2
You know I love me some Lake Park. I have been picking them most of the weeks of this season. However, Only WN has contained Reed this year and Wheaton North has the best defense in the DVC this year according to scoring defense, so I think Thorne/Reed put their team on their backs and win by a TD late. NC wins the conference outright and makes the playoffs (playoff team 1) and LP falls to 5-4 and makes the playoffs with their high playoff points (playoff team 2 - in order of the games listed - not by DVC finish so please don't yell at Voodoo - I'm not doing a final DVC ranking finish in this thread).

NN 5-3/C4-3 at WWS 2-6/C1-6:
Shootout Central - the score could be 49-42.
Both Offenses Good.
Both Defenses....Well.....Inconsistent?
I will take Davis and his receivers as the difference makers in the 4th Quarter. NN finishes 6-3 (playoff team 3).

WV 4-4/C4-3 at WN 6-2/C5-2:
This should be a real battle. Wait strike that. Can't use Battle (too close to war). This should be a slugfest using pillowcases filled with soap bars from the movie Full Metal Jacket. Everything says WN should be a huge favorite in this game - but I'm going with my Warriors by a field goal (that we make and does not get blocked or muffed or one of the other 25 calamities that have popped up this year). WV improves to 5-4 and is playoff team 4 with lots of playoff points and WN finishes at 6-3 and playoff team 5!

GBN 4-4/C3-4 at NV 5-3/C4-3:
There is something about GBN that seems to be either Red Kryptonite or Green Kryptonite to the NV Wildcats. Not sure why. In 2015 GBN beat NV 42-28 and then last year in 2016 they beat a very very good DVC co champion NV team 35-14. I don't see this years score so lopsided - but GBN pulls out a victory in OT to become playoff eligible (playoff team 6!). Neuqua falls to 5-4 BUT picks up a win from Thornwood and Metea Valley to get 6 playoff points to put them at 38 and in the fold (playoff team 7!!!!!)

MV 0-8/C0-8 at Rock Island 4-4.
I don't care if Metea is playing with their soph or frosh or middle school QB - they need to find a way to win this one AND I think they do! MV wins, and finishes the year on a high note to start gearing up as the primary Dukane Non Conference opponent for 2018 and 2019!

If all goes according to VooDoo's evil plan - there will be SEVEN DVC teams in the playoffs! Surely with 7 we will have some good matchups in Round One and a couple teams advance before the conspiracy theorists rush in and create all DVC round 2 matchups?
Nice post as always, VooD.

NC escapes LP with ugly victory
NN loses at WWS (we rarely win there, and just lost our best RB to injury)
WN too much for WV (sorry VD)
GN over NV (disappointing season for NV)
Rock rolls over MV (not enough depth at NV)

My take...

...all the away teams!

NC regains its stride on offense and wins a surprisingly easy one over very talented LP.
WWS has (belatedly) found its mojo, sticks with a running game that chews clock and keeps DD & Co. of the field.
WN, PO'd over missed opportunities last week, refocuses and holds off WV.
NV with a late stand, holds off GN in the tightest DVC game of the week.
MV over RI--the travel game instills some renewed enthusiasm for the 'stangs.

Nice post as always, VooD.

NC escapes LP with ugly victory
NN loses at WWS (we rarely win there, and just lost our best RB to injury)
WN too much for WV (sorry VD)
GN over NV (disappointing season for NV)
Rock rolls over MV (not enough depth at NV)

Thanks.

I went 4-1 with the picks but I would have rather have gone 1-4 and just have my WV pick come thru. Couple early injuries ( 2way Lineman etc) disrupted the game plan a bit and 3 turnovers to mix in there as well. Was still a good game and congrats to Wheaton North - I will be rooting for you and all the other DVC teams in the playoffs!

For WV can you say most disappointing team in Illinois this year? Top 3 or 4 in preseason and can't make playoffs!

Dysfunctional from the start of season.

Also not to bring up a sore subject - Some kids took a knee? really?

Anyway good luck to the teams in Playoffs.

BigJohn out for the year. On to Hockey

Reactions: Anomalyout28
Dysfunctional might be an understatement. Hopefully that was just behavior brought out by frustrations and not typical of the team.

The multiple unsportsmanlike penalties and those that weren’t called as well. WN knew it was coming but still a bit more then expected. I assume they were trying to get into the kids heads. Coaches should have took better control of the situation. Shouldn’t try to injure kids when the game is over.

The multiple unsportsmanlike penalties and those that weren’t called as well. WN knew it was coming but still a bit more then expected. I assume they were trying to get into the kids heads. Coaches should have took better control of the situation. Shouldn’t try to injure kids when the game is over.

I have to admit that we have had issues with unsportsmanlike penalities all year (mainly from one or two guys) and yes that is disappointing and embarrassing. However - I have not seen any WV guys actively trying to hurt anyone so if that happened I did not see it or I flat out missed it. On the flip side - I did see a lot of holding by WN that was not called both in the game and in some of the film I saw of other games (kudos to your Lineman - if you can get away with it then do it!!;)) and that can frustrate kids. We also had a key guy get hurt on a play late in the first quarter when WV was in control of the game winning 3-0 and three straight 3 and outs for WN offense, and that caused some emotions to run higher than normal with some kids I think.

Why couldn't they have done this at NN? WV made few mistakes/ penalties against us. Probably one their best games all season. :(

Why couldn't they have done this at NN? WV made few mistakes/ penalties against us. Probably one their best games all season. :(

Lol. For that game we didn't give you the standard 3 turnovers or the full compliment of unsportsmanlike penalities- BUT you did land at community chest and your card gave you a muffed punt, strip and fumble return for a TD along with a shanked FG. So 10 points! You can't get the full Monty every game! Someone has to get shorted and pay the electric bill fine in monopoly! ;)

I have to admit that we have had issues with unsportsmanlike penalities all year (mainly from one or two guys) and yes that is disappointing and embarrassing. However - I have not seen any WV guys actively trying to hurt anyone so if that happened I did not see it or I flat out missed it. On the flip side - I did see a lot of holding by WN that was not called both in the game and in some of the film I saw of other games (kudos to your Lineman - if you can get away with it then do it!!;)) and that can frustrate kids. We also had a key guy get hurt on a play late in the first quarter when WV was in control of the game winning 3-0 and three straight 3 and outs for WN offense, and that caused some emotions to run higher than normal with some kids I think.

11 penalties yesterday was by far the most they have had all season. I thought some of the holds were questionable at key parts of drives. Whenever a defensive player gets taken down it’s a hold apparently. The refs were momentum killers all game. They totally blew the fake punt as the lineman sprinted to block when the pass was mid flight already. It wasn’t illegal man downfield. WV had a couple nice runs on the outside when WNs D end was getting held pretty good. So if you saw some missed holds, I am not denying it. They were missed both ways. We lost a key player on the opening kick off so I guess injuries were a wash as well. I wouldn’t call a 3 to 0 lead half way through the first in control of the game. Watch the last 2 minutes and see what the WV players are doing to the running back.

11 penalties yesterday was by far the most they have had all season. I thought some of the holds were questionable at key parts of drives. Whenever a defensive player gets taken down it’s a hold apparently. The refs were momentum killers all game. They totally blew the fake punt as the lineman sprinted to block when the pass was mid flight already. It wasn’t illegal man downfield. WV had a couple nice runs on the outside when WNs D end was getting held pretty good. So if you saw some missed holds, I am not denying it. They were missed both ways. We lost a key player on the opening kick off so I guess injuries were a wash as well. I wouldn’t call a 3 to 0 lead half way through the first in control of the game. Watch the last 2 minutes and see what the WV players are doing to the running back.

I would say 3 and outing WN for first quarter "in control" of the game and we were matching in for the TD inside WN 20 yard line when our 2 way lineman went down (I want to take a good look at that play as well on film) and then having to settle for the FG at end of Quarter. If your definition is different - that's fine.

When access is available I will also watch the last 2 minutes. - I will say this before I watch the Film and hopefully I won't be eating my words, but why not take a knee if your panties are in bundle about your RB taking hits in the last two minutes of the game?

On the holdIng penalties: my opinion was not just based on last nites game it was also based on film of other WN games (like I said it's part of the game and if you can get away with it - then do it! NC is another team that rides the edge at times with holding) - that said - I never intended to get into a "he said she said debate" about the calls or no calls on both sides. I was just pointing it out as a potential catalyst for heighten emotions which unfortunately for the WV team leads to dumb embarrassing 15 yarders. I'm not trying to excuse the bush league penalties.

Hopefully the young man from Wheaton North that got hurt on the return is ok!! The WV linemans x-rays were negative for the fractured fibula at the ankle the WN sideline doc said it might be and they think it's a high ankle sprain so if that's all it is - he should be fine in a few weeks.

Good luck in the playoffs! Regardless of the disappointing last nites outcome of the game (From my viewpoint :( anyways). I will be rooting for you and all the DVC teams in the playoffs! I'd like to see a WN and LWC matchup somewhere in the playoffs. Both good running teams. I give the nod to WN in the passing game. The nod to LWC in rushing D but the nod to WN in passIng D. Would be a good game I think!!

Last edited:
I would say 3 and outing WN for first quarter "in control" of the game and we were matching in for the TD inside WN 20 yard line when our 2 way lineman went down (I want to take a good look at that play as well on film) and then having to settle for the FG at end of Quarter. If your definition is different - that's fine.

When access is available I will also watch the last 2 minutes. - I will say this before I watch the Film and hopefully I won't be eating my words, but why not take a knee if your panties are in bundle about your RB taking hits in the last two minutes of the game?

On the holdIng penalties: my opinion was not just based on last nites game it was also based on film of other WN games (like I said it's part of the game and if you can get away with it - then do it! NC is another team that rides the edge with holding) - that said - I never intended to get into a "he said she said debate" about the calls or no calls on both sides. I was just pointing it out as a potential catalyst for heighten emotions which unfortunately for the WV team leads to dumb embarrassing 15 yarders. I'm not trying to excuse the bush league penalties.

Hopefully the young man from Wheaton North that got hurt on the return is ok!! The WV linemans x-rays were negative for the fractured fibula at the ankle the WN sideline doc said it might be and they think it's a high ankle sprain so if that's all it is - he should be fine in a few weeks.

Good luck in the playoffs! Regardless of the disappointing last nites outcome of the game (From my viewpoint :( anyways). I will be rooting for you and all the DVC teams in the playoffs! I'd like to see a WN and LWC matchup somewhere in the playoffs. Both good running teams. I give the nod to WN in the passing game. The nod to LWC in rushing D but the nod to WN in passIng D. Would be a good game I think!!

Your coach kept calling time out so apparently he didn’t think the game was over so I am not sure whose panties were in a bunch when players take out losing a game on the other teams running back. I have no problem with some chippiness but as you stated, you have a couple of real pros at it and apparently it’s all good.

I am glad your lineman is okay. Prognosis looks good on the WN kid too. It was a very physical game as I expected. I picked WV to win the conference this year don’t forget. I was hoping they would have clinched it earlier but when it came down to this game it just reminded all kids about how last year ended up.

I agree LWC would be a great matchup. Looking forward to seeing the official brackets tonight.

I "only" saw 3 unsportsmanlike flags on WV. One was I think the QB tackling on the INT. The other 2 were done by the same 2 kids. They keep doing it because the coaches don't reprimand them, don't even get taken out of the game, just a mean look and 5 seconds of yelling at them. Yep, that will teach em !!

I agree - losing 64 was big not only for the game presence but, he's the leader . The kid everyone respects (along with 35 a close second) . I don't know him but, he was out there most game on one leg. A true leader in my mind. I was told he's been hurting all year. My hats off to that kid, glad he's ok.

BigJohn

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT