ClownBaby 23 - 12 (.65)
Falcon86 22 - 13 (.62)
Bruno 6 - 4 (.60)
USD 6 - 4 (.60)
BigJohn 14 - 10 (.58)
VooDoo 19 - 14 (.57)
StonedLizard 17 - 13 (.56)
GodFather 7 - 8 (.46)

Welcome to the DVC where no one has a clue has a clue what will happen next. Sounds like we should playing ACC wheel of destiny:

WWS
WN
LP
WV
GN (I'll probably go 1-4,...)

WWS/Lockport - I want to say WWS easy, but outside of conference Lockport has been competitive this season hanging with S. Elgin and beating DGN. I'll take the Tigers

WN/NC - I was on the NC train heavy, but giving up 78 points the last two weeks made me cool off some, but I still think they have enough O for WN. Give me NC.

LP/NV - NV

WV/NN - WV likely to play tough with the 'offs on the line, but NN had a huge win last week keeps momentum rolling. Huskies

MV/GBN - GBN

My picks this week all have a theme. The theme is - how many high stakes and/or winner take all games can be engineered for week 9 if Voodoo goes 5-0 in his picks in week 8.

WWS (1-6) at Lockport (1-6): No major wk 9 stakes can be engineered by picking one over the other - so I go with WWS in this match up.

WN (6-1) 28 playoff points at NC (5-2) 34 playoff points: I like WN north a lot, but I think NC nips them by a TD. WN will be playing for playoff seed in week 9 as the shaky 28 playoff points do not guarantee a very high seed if they fall to 6-3 after week 9. NC solidifies a playoff spot at 6-2 and in week 9 playing for a potential home playoff game with strong playoff points projected to be in the mid 40's.

LP (4-3) 34 playoff points at NV (5-2) 27 playoff points. If NV loses this game they fall to 5-3 with low playoff points and set up a winner take all with GBN in week 9 for a playoff spot. with 27 points they are projected to be mid 30's playoff points so they probably need to finish with 6 wins to make playoffs. WK 9 rumble with GBN for ALL THE PLAYOFF MARBLES. If LP wins they qualify for playoffs (high playoff points at 5 wins) and battle with NC week 9 for seeding.

WV (3-4) 35 playoff points at NN (5-2) 31 playoff points. If WV wins they go to 4-4 and set up a do or die game with Wheaton North in Wk 9 for the right to go to the playoffs. With high playoff points projected to be in the mid 40's they would make it at 5 wins. If NN falls to 5-3 it sets up an important must win vs WWS in week 9 to ensure a playoff spot (high 30's is the expected cut off per Soucie so don't want to bite nails on Saturday morning)

Metea (0-7) at GBN (3-4) 33 playoff points. If GBN wins they set up a winner take all with NV (assuming NV falls to LP) for a playoff spot! If Metea falls to GBN, it sets up a must win vs Rock Island (3-4) to ensure they do not have a winless season.

If everything aligns within my evil plan - there will be some huge stakes in most of the wk 9 DVC games and who doesn't want that for the last week of the regular season and last week of the DVC as we know it today?

Last edited:
Reactions: Anomalyout28
These final 2 weeks of the DVC look awesome, a lot on the line for 7 of the 9 teams. Some huge games! Very exciting. I am have a hard time working today (Thursday) and that usually happens on Friday!

Wheaton Warrenville South @ Lockport - WWS
Wheaton North @ Naperville Central - WN
Lake Park @ Neuqua Valley - NV
Waubonsie Valley @ Naperville North - NN
Metea @ Glenbard North GN

Wheaton Warrenville South @ Lockport
Wheaton North @ Naperville Central
Lake Park @ Neuqua Valley
Waubonsie Valley
@ Naperville North
Metea @ Glenbard North

These final 2 weeks of the DVC look awesome, a lot on the line for 7 of the 9 teams. Some huge games! Very exciting. I am have a hard time working today (Thursday) and that usually happens on Friday!

Wheaton Warrenville South @ Lockport - WWS
Wheaton North @ Naperville Central - WN
Lake Park @ Neuqua Valley - NV
Waubonsie Valley @ Naperville North - NN
Metea @ Glenbard North GN

Biggest week 8 game is Wheaton North and Naperville Central. Basically it is for the conference championship!

My take...

Waubonsie Valley @ Naperville North
Metea @ Glenbard North

WWS over Lockport
NC over WN
NN over WV
LP over NV
GN over MV

NN always loses when I pick them (except NV) so I hope I didn't jinx them. :mad:

If NV loses this game they fall to 5-3 with low playoff points and set up a winner take all with GBN in week 9 for a playoff spot. with 27 points they are projected to be mid 30's playoff points so they probably need to finish with 6 wins to make playoffs.

NV is guaranteed at least 35 points with two more losses. The 9 team DVC produces three guaranteed playoff points every week and 4 points the week of your non-conf game. Lose that week and get another point. Add another point if the other weekly, single DVC non-conf game has a DVC winner. And finally, add the wins from your own non-conf opponent.

A DVC team is better off if the other conference teams are playing non-conf patsies (which probably is not that probable as none of the DVC teams are pushovers). End up with a winless team as your own non-conf opponent and you can get screwed with a 5-4 record (cause the rest of your season's opponents are not necessarily also getting that easy win).

BTW, a 10 team conference guarantees 40 points for a 5-4 team (4 points every week from the other conference games and then another 4 points from the weeks with your own loss).

NV's other DVC brethren are currently 3-3 in non conf schedule (and NV should thank NN for the big comeback over Eville). NV also needs WWS over Lockport and MV over Rock Island.

What if NV's playoff hopes rest on Thornwood beating Thornridge in week 9?
--
Obviously getting 6 wins is the remedy for the situation and it goes without saying that playoff points are just an additional IL football playoff determining injustice.

Reactions: MWittman
Ok Team, this is going to prove I know nothing of the DVC. I watched NN last week and I have seen WV games. Everyone is looking at close scores. I understand there is hope and other emotions involved. I have a lot of respect for the DVC and WV, however, I can't see this on being close. WV offense has some potential and if they are on - could put up some points. NN defense looks like it will stop quite a few drives. NN offense was impressive vs NC. Not dominate all over the field, but good teams find a way to score and they clearly can. My knock is with the WV defense. Don't see them stopping NN offense. I think best case you looking at 38-21 for NN. My gut feels more like 42-14. I hope I am wrong here. If WV comes out on top, I will be happy...as a matter of fact I will be rooting for them. Gotta love the underdog. Good luck. Anyone know if this is going to be streamed anywhere?

What makes you like the NN defense and their 41 point effort vs NC so much more than WV defense and their 43 point effort vs NC from a few weeks earlier? If I didn't know any better I would say roughly a wash on D but NN offense scores a bunch more points than WV (if I dig deeper I then see the turnovers and look At total points given up etc). But anyways - will be interesting to see. Gotta love the underdog (unless you NNFan). ;)

I think it is steaming on the Cube this week.

Last edited:
My picks this week all have a theme. The theme is - how many high stakes and/or winner take all games can be engineered for week 9 if Voodoo goes 5-0 in his picks in week 8.

WWS (1-6) at Lockport (1-6): No major wk 9 stakes can be engineered by picking one over the other - so I go with WWS in this match up.

WN (6-1) 28 playoff points at NC (5-2) 34 playoff points: I like WN north a lot, but I think NC nips them by a TD. WN will be playing for playoff seed in week 9 as the shaky 28 playoff points do not guarantee a very high seed if they fall to 6-3 after week 9. NC solidifies a playoff spot at 6-2 and in week 9 playing for a potential home playoff game with strong playoff points projected to be in the mid 40's.

LP (4-3) 34 playoff points at NV (5-2) 27 playoff points. If NV loses this game they fall to 5-3 with low playoff points and set up a winner take all with GBN in week 9 for a playoff spot. with 27 points they are projected to be mid 30's playoff points so they probably need to finish with 6 wins to make playoffs. WK 9 rumble with GBN for ALL THE PLAYOFF MARBLES. If LP wins they qualify for playoffs (high playoff points at 5 wins) and battle with NC week 9 for seeding.

WV (3-4) 35 playoff points at NN (5-2) 31 playoff points. If WV wins they go to 4-4 and set up a do or die game with Wheaton North in Wk 9 for the right to go to the playoffs. With high playoff points projected to be in the mid 40's they would make it at 5 wins. If NN falls to 5-3 it sets up an important must win vs WWS in week 9 to ensure a playoff spot (high 30's is the expected cut off per Soucie so don't want to bite nails on Saturday morning)

Metea (0-7) at GBN (3-4) 33 playoff points. If GBN wins they set up a winner take all with NV (assuming NV falls to LP) for a playoff spot! If Metea falls to GBN, it sets up a must win vs Rock Island (3-4) to ensure they do not have a winless season.

If everything aligns within my evil plan - there will be some huge stakes in most of the wk 9 DVC games and who doesn't want that for the last week of the regular season and last week of the DVC as we know it today?
Great analysis!

Reactions: polkhighhero
Ok Team, this is going to prove I know nothing of the DVC. I watched NN last week and I have seen WV games. Everyone is looking at close scores. I understand there is hope and other emotions involved. I have a lot of respect for the DVC and WV, however, I can't see this on being close. WV offense has some potential and if they are on - could put up some points. NN defense looks like it will stop quite a few drives. NN offense was impressive vs NC. Not dominate all over the field, but good teams find a way to score and they clearly can. My knock is with the WV defense. Don't see them stopping NN offense. I think best case you looking at 38-21 for NN. My gut feels more like 42-14. I hope I am wrong here. If WV comes out on top, I will be happy...as a matter of fact I will be rooting for them. Gotta love the underdog. Good luck. Anyone know if this is going to be streamed anywhere?

When analyzing WV it comes down to turnovers. When they get turnover happy WV losses. When they don't, it's a win. Goes for most schools as well, but not at the rate WV turns it over. Plus last week and Lake Park game a failed punt really hurt as well.

I've been critical of the D (as anyone should). In their Defense (no pun intended) They are out on the field quite a bit more than they should be. WV needs to run the ball eat up clock and play mistake free----- and enough of the unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on D.

Show some Discipline if not take the player out for a play oh wait never mind there won't be any rotation . Sorry had to get that in

BigJohn

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Yeah, guess my take is WV offense not quite as strong as NN so not as many points scored. So, that along with BigJohn's analysis of the turn overs and lack of rotation I think gives the NN the edge.

Let me just say one thing...it gets really tough to talk about teams and strengths of high school football. For any kids that play and read this, we have nothing but respect for the efforts you put forth. This is just the whimsical ramblings of some old man. I would rather watch high school football than pros because.....well and I just like it better than college cause you get to see kids play that may not be the best athletes but play beyond their station. If you are on the WV team and read this....go out there and prove me wrong!

Almost all NN games are nailbiters, except for the Metea game. This will be another close game. Actually pretty much all DVC games are close this year.

WWS gets the 2nd victory in a row vs. the suffering Porters 31 to 14.
Highest scoring offense vs. the stingiest defense in the DVC. WN has only given up two TDs in the last 15 quarters of play. It is the big agile NC O line vs. the speedy 10 deep D line of WN. I just don't see NC losing three games in a row but wouldn't be shocked either.
NC 21 WN 17.
NV bounces back in hard nosed battle for the playoffs. 28 to 24.
Waubonsie Valley @ Naperville North
NN has their offensive mojo back and the WV D-line will have their hands full. WV fighting for their playoff lives but @ NN is a tough challenge. NN 42 WV 28.
Metea @ Glenbard North
GBN keeps playoff hopes alive with big 42 to 7 victory.

WWS over Lockport
NC in a close one over WN
NV takes out the frustration of getting shutout last week, and beats LP by 2TDs
WV goes to the run, keeps NN offense off the field, and stays alive (barely)
GN big over MV

See, I admit I know nothing of the DVC. You guys are beasts and have my repesct. Go Waubonsie Valley!

I thought we were going to shank it away being up 21-7 and then muffed punt for TD against us and then holding call bringing back a TD and then shank the FG to go into the half tied at 21. But Offense came thru and NN defense a little on the soft side (except that linebacker he is a very nice player) so that helped. The NN passing offense the real deal. They carved us up like Central did. We just scored more points in the shootout then they did.

Tough loss for the Falcons. Four uncharacteristic turnovers, two block in the back penalties (the first two of the season), dropped passes and still In position to tie the game on three occasions in the 4th quarter. Secondary shut down the NC pass game but their senior RB played his butt off and WN didn’t sub out their d line like normal. Congrats to NC on their Homecoming victory.

Tough loss for the Falcons. Four uncharacteristic turnovers, two block in the back penalties (the first two of the season), dropped passes and still In position to tie the game on three occasions in the 4th quarter. Secondary shut down the NC pass game but their senior RB played his butt off and WN didn’t sub out their d line like normal. Congrats to NC on their Homecoming victory.

The twitter feed and it sound like a sloppy game by both sides.

1. Voodoo....you have earned my repect as a prognostic in the DVC. I thought you were putting too much hope into it, but I will eat my humble pie. Good luck next week!

Ditto to you and LWC! I want to see LWC make a run in 7A! If LWC wins the 7A title at least WV can say they hung in there with them in the muck and rain soaked field during the regular season:)

7 teams could end up with 5 victories next week. Has that happened before?

Not since I have been following the last 3 years when the DVC went from 6 to 9 teams for the 2015 season. Would probably need to go way back to when West Aurora, West Chicago, original LP (think they have been in the DVC twice?) and verify but I would guess no.

Caveat is that I don't think 7 can make it as I believe Neuqua needs to win versus GBN to get in due to low playoff points (their non con Thornwood is 0-7) and same is true with GBN as they are 4-4 with good playoff points.

If this turns out to be true (and we won't know until the playoffs are announced and the point cutoff is announced.) then a max of 6 have the potential to make the playoffs. But if it's just about being "playoff eligible" then yes 7 have the potential to be at least eligible.

Says a lot about where the DVC is at this year. Wow. When an Edgy top 30 team has a super important game in week 9 for the ability to get into the playoffs (NV) - you know there is a ton of parity in the conference.

Reactions: FalconPadre
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT