ADVERTISEMENT

DSR update

USD24

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Joliet
I received correspondence from JCHILL. He is overseas fighting for freedom, therefore there will be a one week hiatus for the DSR. There were no significant changes in the rankings based on the votes he received. Some great games this week that should really give some clarity to the DSR. Ranking will return next week!

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
This is how I voted after week 5 games...

1. Lincoln-Way East
2. Maine South
3. Prairie Ridge
4. Naperville Central
5. Phillips
6. Loyola Academy
7. East St. Louis
8. Homewood-Flossmoor
9. Marist
10. Crete-Monee

11. Lake Zurich
12. Neuqua Valley
13. Nazareth
14. Barrington
15. Lincoln-Way Central

Reactions: MS4EVER
Bad losses:
Lyons getting whipped at home 35-3 by GBW. I took them out of my DSR a few weeks ago. Seems about right.
H-F losing by 3 TD's at home to LWE. Expected a closer game.

Good wins:
See above....LWE & GBW (back on the DSR radar?)
Barrington....nice win over a good Palatine team on Thurs.
Loyola...convincing win over a good Rita team.

Teams making bids for inclusion:
Batavia....lopsided win over Geneva. The close one against SCE last week gives pause. Great defense all year, though.
Stevenson....only loss is to a highly ranked Muskegon, MI. Continues to impress. Next week vs. LZ will be telling.
Huntley....continue to put up big numbers in win over WA. Nice win over C-G and close loss to PR.
NV....nice win over NN. Tough to gauge the DVC. Big game today for conference standing (NC vs. St. Ed's OH)

Bad losses:
Lyons getting whipped at home 35-3 by GBW. I took them out of my DSR a few weeks ago. Seems about right.

Good wins:

Batavia....lopsided win over Geneva. The close one against SCE last week gives pause. Great defense all year, though.
Stevenson....only loss is to a highly ranked Muskegon, MI. Continues to impress. Next week vs. LZ will be telling.
Huntley....continue to put up big numbers in win over WA. Nice win over C-G and close loss to PR.
NV....nice win over NN. Tough to gauge the DVC. Big game today for conference standing (NC vs. St. Ed's OH)
Ive got Barrington and Huntley is looking impressive along with Stevie. Flossmoor will drop some, possibly out, not sure yet. I'll probably swing by NC later today and checkout the Buckeyes.

I've had Barr in mine the last couple of weeks and remain impressed. They have a huge hurdle this week with Hoff Est coming in hot.

I still feel like there are only about 5-6 that play a defensive style that can handle Homer-Flosswood but last night was a beat down at home. This late in the season it is tough host a game this ugly and wave it off as LWE is just that good.

NC needs to show up today to represent. Wish I could be there but traveling out of state.

NV is doing that sneaky slow build thing again so keeping an eye on them.

GW completely dominated a very good LT at LT rolling up 532 yards on the ground when LT decided to focus on Pierce. Pierce still proved to be a man amongst boys by scoring a couple of key TDs and making a.critical INT to stop Bryant's one big drive into the red zone. GW is back in for me. As long as they get to play on turf.

Huntley has been my dark horse all season. I still think they will do serious damage in 8A.

LA is LA and I expect a LWE showdown in Week 13 or 14.

Reactions: Cross Bones
I've had Barr in mine the last couple of weeks and remain impressed. They have a huge hurdle this week with Hoff Est coming in hot.

I still feel like there are only about 5-6 that play a defensive style that can handle Homer-Flosswood but last night was a beat down at home. This late in the season it is tough host a game this ugly and wave it off as LWE is just that good.

NC needs to show up today to represent. Wish I could be there but traveling out of state.

GW completely dominated a very good LT at LT rolling up 532 yards on the ground when LT decided to focus on Pierce. Pierce still proved to be a man amongst boys by scoring a couple of key TDs and making a.critical INT to stop Bryant's one big drive into the red zone. GW is back in for me. As long as they get to play on turf.

Huntley has been my dark horse all season. I still think they will do serious damage in 8A.

It was 532 total yards I think about 480 was on the ground lol

Neuqua was supposed to be down after losing those 3 kids to D1(Robertson-ND, Rhattigan-Army, Piche-Navy) but our D has really gelled and filled in nicely with all of the massive losses on that side of the ball. Offensively the OL is very good, Escoff is an impressive QB, and our RB tandem of Raupach/Chevalier is very difficult to stop. This is one of the better coaching jobs from Ellinghaus and his crew.

Bad losses:

Good wins:

Really strong showing by Nap C today. My top 3 LWE MS NapC

Really strong showing by Nap C today. My top 3 LWE MS NapC
NC did show well against a very good team. Run defense might be their undoing in the playoffs. They have an interesting game against NN next week. Some other big Week 7 games: Marist/Naz, LZ/Stevenson and Barrington/Hoffman Estates.

I suspect Stevie beats LZ next week.

Last edited:
NC did show well against a very good team. Run defense might be their undoing in the playoffs. They have an interesting game against NN next week. Some other big Week 7 games: Marist/Naz, LZ/Stevenson and Barrington/Hoffman Estates.

East st louis only beat Belleville 32-26

You hit the nail on the head with the run defense. I watched WV pile up 250+ yards on them on the ground a few weeks back - mainly between the tackles and sounds like Eds did even more. Also keeps their Ariel attack off the field. If they can shore up the run D - they in with the top teams. If not - well some team like WV or someone else that can run it,....will have a good game and trip them up in the playoffs (especially if weather hinders their passing game)

Add HC vs. GBW to the list of big games this week. Week 7 might provide the best matchups of the year thus far.

Reactions: capnbillhitters
One closer than expected game isnt enough. And ESL could be 5-4 and never under the radar. It's the gift and the curse.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Coach Sunkett lamented that West used every trick play they had - and they succeeded in all. Paraphrasing, "they knew they could not play us heads up. When you resort to that, it is desperation."

No love lost between these schools whose boundaries blur and everyone has Mr. McGoo vision when it comes to that, like an unspoken agreement. These teams may be the longest continually played rivalry in the state - or damn near close. Score is not everything here.

Here's my DSR:
  1. LWE
  2. Phillips
  3. PR
  4. MS
  5. LA (up 1)
  6. LZ (up 1)
  7. ESL (down 2)
  8. NC (probably should have moved up-definitely not dropping)
  9. Marist
  10. After much consideration, Naz (replacing HF)

Here's my DSR:
  1. LWE
  2. Phillips
  3. PR
  4. MS
  5. LA (up 1)
  6. LZ (up 1)
  7. ESL (down 2)
  8. NC (probably should have moved up-definitely not dropping)
  9. Marist
  10. After much consideration, Naz (replacing HF)

Any reason Phillips is so high besides a last minute goal line stand in week one at home vs a non 100% LA?

Reactions: crusader_of_90
That's pretty much it. If you're a 3A/4A school that beats a top 8A school like LA you deserve that ranking.

Not really. Week one's in general the worst week as far as being indicative of the state of a week 7 football team and specifically in that week one case study even less indicative. I always thought the DSR looked past a win loss result and gave all results context. If you are so impressed with that win this year, I don't remember you considering 3A IC last year after a 3 score win over a former 6A semi finalist St. Laurence who eventually went back to the semis last year after that IC lost.
I cannot see Phillips beating anyone you have listed below them while they still are an excellent 3A/4A contender for state.

Not really. Week one's in general the worst week as far as being indicative of the state of a week 7 football team and specifically in that week one case study even less indicative. I always thought the DSR looked past a win loss result and gave all results context. If you are so impressed with that win this year, I don't remember you considering IC last year after a 3 score win over a former 6A semi finalist St. Laurence who eventually went back to the semis last year after that IC lost.
I cannot see Phillips beating anyone you have listed below them while they still are an excellent 3A/4A contender for state.

IC played no one close to LA but stomped everyone. BTW, I did rank IC 8th on my final ranking and they deserved it. Probably could have ranked higher too. Listen, I have always brought a different perspective. See 2015 and 2016 for more examples. Every one of these panelists on the board is well respected and appreciated, You might not like everything they say, but at least they're going to defend it.

Reactions: RockSoup
Coach Sunkett lamented that West used every trick play they had - and they succeeded in all. Paraphrasing, "they knew they could not play us heads up. When you resort to that, it is desperation."

No love lost between these schools whose boundaries blur and everyone has Mr. McGoo vision when it comes to that, like an unspoken agreement. These teams may be the longest continually played rivalry in the state - or damn near close. Score is not everything here.
Sunkett's words seem a bit personal. Is he mad about losing to BW in 2014 and 2015 or something? It's not like Eastside hasn't clobbered BW and the rest of the conference for decades. Just take the W and give your opponent credit for making it close.

Sunkett's words seem a bit personal. Is he mad about losing to BW in 2014 and 2015 or something? It's not like Eastside hasn't clobbered BW and the rest of the conference for decades. Just take the W and give your opponent credit for making it close.

Not personal I don't think as far as losing in 14 and 15 if they were legit would have been no excuse. Again I think he was just stating that they used trick plays to score. which is part of the game. What I think is they have to be ready for that at any time its coming.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT