ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Clippert - 509 yds, 6 TD passing

Cat Box

Sep 23, 2012
Aurora Christian QB had a big night @ Bishop Mac, 509 yards passing with 6 TD. Wins "Player of the Night" honors from @DeepDishFootball.

On the season, over 2400 yards in 6 games. Making good on his Junior year All-State honors.

Reactions: 3OrangeWhips
The kid has an incredible work ethic. He put on 20 lbs in the off-season. Excellent football IQ. He could manage the game from the field without coaches. He's one of the top students in his class. He's humble and soft spoken yet able to lead - and his teammates follow.

Wherever he ends up going to college, he will be an A student and a coaches delight who causes zero trouble off the field.

If he weighed 172 last season, probably why the lack of 'crootin.

He does have a lightning release

Solid numbers but is this just a pass happy offense? Reminds me of Brasic from RB. Halfway decent qb with all world numbers simply because of the system.

Solid numbers but is this just a pass happy offense? Reminds me of Brasic from RB. Halfway decent qb with all world numbers simply because of the system.

Yes, it is a pass happy system. Probably the most pass happy system in the state of Illinois. But Clippert is an excellent QB. You cannot be a "halfway decent QB" and put up these kinds of numbers.

That's not correct at all. I just read stats from the game and their RB has over 25 carries for over 100 yds. Doesn't seem like a pass happy offense to me.

Yes, it is a pass happy system. Probably the most pass happy system in the state of Illinois. But Clippert is an excellent QB. You cannot be a "halfway decent QB" and put up these kinds of numbers.
For a guy that seems to watch a lot of AC football you certainly didn't know their RB had a great game as well. I believe I saw he had over 25 carries. Seems pretty balance to me. You sure you know what you're talking about Catbox?

Looks balanced on paper but over 90 of the rushing yards occurred on the last drive of the game which began on the 6 yard line after Bmac was intercepted. AC ran it between the tackles to kill the clock and did score on their final possession.

AC is pass happy. They rushed for only 400 yards in 9 games last year. When a team lines up shotgun in a 5 receiver spread with an empty backfield, they are passing the ball and not even trying to fool you. That is AC on probably 50% of their plays.

Looks balanced on paper but over 90 of the rushing yards occurred on the last drive of the game which began on the 6 yard line after Bmac was intercepted. AC ran it between the tackles to kill the clock and did score on their final possession.

AC is pass happy. They rushed for only 400 yards in 9 games last year. When a team lines up shotgun in a 5 receiver spread with an empty backfield, they are passing the ball and not even trying to fool you. That is AC on probably 50% of their plays.

Interesting, just talked with a buddy of mine that was at this game and he told me that the final drive started around the 50 yd. line and not the 6 yd line. He said the drive that started at the 6 yd. line Clippert threw a deep ball to their outside receiver that went for 70 yds. Yes, on their last drive they ran the ball every play but it was from the 50 yd. line. Plus, their RB had over 25 carries, I doubt they all came on the last drive. And they very well might be in shotgun most of the game but its obviously they run out of that formation as well.
I remember when they beat us in 2012 in the Semis, they were very balanced with run and pass. Catbox, do you go to all their games? As it seems your facts are not very accurate. Not being mean just curious that your observations are not factual.

So you talked to a guy but did not see yourself and then question how many games this man goes to and toss in the collective "they beat us" five years ago showing some sort of bias - and questioned again if the man posting here for years is being honest ...

Strange.

Interesting, just talked with a buddy of mine that was at this game and he told me that the final drive started around the 50 yd. line and not the 6 yd line. He said the drive that started at the 6 yd. line Clippert threw a deep ball to their outside receiver that went for 70 yds. Yes, on their last drive they ran the ball every play but it was from the 50 yd. line. Plus, their RB had over 25 carries, I doubt they all came on the last drive. And they very well might be in shotgun most of the game but its obviously they run out of that formation as well.
I remember when they beat us in 2012 in the Semis, they were very balanced with run and pass. Catbox, do you go to all their games? As it seems your facts are not very accurate. Not being mean just curious that your observations are not factual.

Newman

Thanks for correcting me. There was a lot of activity in that 2nd half and I got the pick at the 6 yard line mixed up with the final drive which was all run between the tackles to kill the clock. Regardless, AC had 119 yards rushing and 509 passing which is over 81/19 pass to rush ratio. I think few on this board would argue 81/19 pass/rush to be "balanced".

I go to all the games, home and away. I was at the 2012 semi-final game vs Newman.

Seems like AC and Newman are on another collision course this year. Perhaps after the game you can tell me how balanced you think the AC offense is.

Newman

Thanks for correcting me. There was a lot of activity in that 2nd half and I got the pick at the 6 yard line mixed up with the final drive which was all run between the tackles to kill the clock. Regardless, AC had 119 yards rushing and 509 passing which is over 81/19 pass to rush ratio. I think few on this board would argue 81/19 pass/rush to be "balanced".

I go to all the games, home and away. I was at the 2012 semi-final game vs Newman.

Seems like AC and Newman are on another collision course this year. Perhaps after the game you can tell me how balanced you think the AC offense is.

I'm sorry Catbox, I'm not trying to be an idiot to you but I'm trying to gather as much information as possible. When you say 81/19 (I'm assuming you are referring to %)???
That's not how you determine if a team is pass happy or not. Let's take the Bishop Mac game. It looks like Clippert threw it 39 times and they ran it 28 times, this is how you determine whether they are "Pass Happy" or not. This would be 42% run and 58% pass. And I would say most people on this board would say this is pretty balanced.

Newman,

Clippert was 28 of 39 passing. That is his completion ratio.

AC rushed for 119 yards and passed for 509 yards. Total yards = 628. Divide 119 rush yards into 628 total yards = 18.9% of their offense was rush and over 50 of those rushing yards were on the last possession killing the clock. If you take that last drive and all the rushing out of the total stats, it would be even more lopsided.

Divide 509 passing yards into 628 total yards = 81% of the total yards were passing.

Better get your Newman Corners and Safeties limbered up to defend the pass.

Last edited:
Newman,

Clippert was 28 of 39 passing. That is his completion ratio.

AC rushed for 119 yards and passed for 509 yards. Total yards = 628. Divide 119 rush yards into 628 total yards = 18.9% of their offense was rush and over 50 of those rushing yards were on the last possession killing the clock.

Divide 509 passing yards into 628 total yards = 81% of the total yards were passing.

I would hope you understand football better than this. You don't determine if a team is Pass Happy based off a yards but ONLY attempts. If you don't get this then I'm not sure what else to say

I would hope you understand football better than this. You don't determine if a team is Pass Happy based off a yards but ONLY attempts. If you don't get this then I'm not sure what else to say

Fair enough. I get what you are saying. AC had 39 passing and 26 rushing attempts, a total of 67 plays. That seems fairly balanced on the surface.

What I am trying to explain is that perhaps a dozen of the rushing attempts occurred on the last possession and the goal was to kill the clock. Therefore it is very likely the pass to rush ratio may have been 39 to 14 which is a 26% run percentage.

Reactions: SilverHelmets
Fair enough. I get what you are saying. AC had 39 passing and 26 rushing attempts, a total of 67 plays. That seems fairly balanced on the surface.

What I am trying to explain is that perhaps a dozen of the rushing attempts occurred on the last possession and the goal was to kill the clock. Therefore it is very likely the pass to rush ratio may have been 39 to 14 which is a 26% run percentage.

But why does that matter? Isn't the most important metric the score? Isn't some of the play calling driven by "take what they will give you?" if they are giving the pass and the D can't stop it, why would you not keep taking it? if they were going 3 and out consistently and gassing their O, sure makes sense, but, if they are blowing teams out and most importantly have the talent and ability to excel at the pass, why not use it? Seems that some programs get just as much locked into "we must run" then don't have the ability to come back when down big in Q4.

But why does that matter? Isn't the most important metric the score? Isn't some of the play calling driven by "take what they will give you?" if they are giving the pass and the D can't stop it, why would you not keep taking it? if they were going 3 and out consistently and gassing their O, sure makes sense, but, if they are blowing teams out and most importantly have the talent and ability to excel at the pass, why not use it? Seems that some programs get just as much locked into "we must run" then don't have the ability to come back when down big in Q4.

Great points.

But why does that matter? Isn't the most important metric the score? Isn't some of the play calling driven by "take what they will give you?" if they are giving the

Thanks Catbox this has been very helpful and I'm sure our teams are on a collision course. Good Luck the rest of the season.

pass and the D can't stop it, why would you not keep taking it? if they were going 3 and out consistently and gassing their O, sure makes sense, but, if they are blowing teams out and most importantly have the talent and ability to excel at the pass, why not use it? Seems that some programs get just as much locked into "we must run" then don't have the ability to come back when down big in Q4.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT