ADVERTISEMENT

Deerfield @ Lake Forest

Oddy

Aug 28, 2008
Anyone here old enough to remember when Deerfield was a super power in HS football? Schools are just a few miles apart on Waukegan Rd, should be interesting. Deerfield's losses were to MS and Rolling Meadows. Lake Forest finished 3rd in the NSC behind Warren and LZ, but their losses to them were pretty ugly. The LF home stands are huge, I plan on going back for this one.

Probably worth noting that LF is a different team based on the health of Mills. He was less than 100% alot of the season. I've heard he's much better now. Just some color to those bad losses.

Anyone here old enough to remember when Deerfield was a super power in HS football? Schools are just a few miles apart on Waukegan Rd, should be interesting. Deerfield's losses were to MS and Rolling Meadows. Lake Forest finished 3rd in the NSC behind Warren and LZ, but their losses to them were pretty ugly. The LF home stands are huge, I plan on going back for this one.

i remember Loyola's first ever playoff loss came against Deerfield back in the Paul Adams era.

Overall, Lake Forest has played a tougher regular and post season schedule. I think the 14 seed will prevail over the 2 seed in this one.

Reactions: Wolffan64
Yes I'm old enough to remember, played at Deerfield back in the 80's. Last time Deerfield played LF was in 81. Deerfield won 49-7. We had some pretty good teams back then. Times have changed a bit. I've seen a couple of LF games this year and they have potential. The Mills kid is a stud. Have not seen Deerfield play so don't know much. Hope it's a good game!

Yes I'm old enough to remember, played at Deerfield back in the 80's. Last time Deerfield played LF was in 81. Deerfield won 49-7. We had some pretty good teams back then. Times have changed a bit. I've seen a couple of LF games this year and they have potential. The Mills kid is a stud. Have not seen Deerfield play so don't know much. Hope it's a good game!
Your memory is selective:
LF beat DHS in ‘87, lost in ‘91, then won in ‘92, when they eventually lost to champs WWS.
LF has some talent: punter is going to USC.
Should be a great game.

Reactions: mmca

I remember a playoff game in 1981 where Deerfield came to LF Lindemeyer Field. Deerfield was great then. They blew out LF. I think they played JCA for the state championship that year at Dyke Stadium in Evanston.

Last edited:
1981: Joliet Catholic-More than 20,000 fans in Dyche Stadium saw the collision between two undefeated teams, and when Joliet Catholic coach Gordon Gillespie said after the Class 5A victory over Deerfield, ''We have the best team in Illinois,'' few could argue.

The first seven times Joliet had the ball, it was stopped six times by penalties and once by an interception. That steal, with 1:16 left in the third quarter, resulted in a 53-yard touchdown run by Jim Stadler.

Two unsung heroes led Joliet`s rally. Pulling guards Rob Weigmann and Todd Moore, wearing bright orange towels behind them as guides to the runners, spearheaded a 79-yard, 15-play drive that ate up more than seven minutes. Andy Bebar scored from the 7 with 6:27 left and Tom Seneker used Moore`s crunching block to score the go-ahead two-point conversion.

Stadler took over, whipsawing Deerfield downfield. His only pass completion of the day started the march and his 15-yard run to the Joliet 8 set up the dramatic finale. With fourth down on the 2, Andy Caris` 20-yard field goal, from an acute angle, was wide right. Joliet wins one of the most exciting title games in history 8-7.

Two unsung heroes led Joliet`s rally. Pulling guards Rob Weigmann and Todd Moore, wearing bright orange towels behind them as guides to the runners,
To this day, Todd Moore's championship game attire is still mentioned in some JC circles. The man wore a red flannel shirt under his jersey. Quite the fashion statement.

Not only did Mills not play against Warren & Lake Zurich (he missed more than a month), the QB is different now too...much different team, I wouldn't read too much into the ugliness of those losses.

Deerfield & Lake Forest used to meet week 2 every year...they should restart that.

i remember Loyola's first ever playoff loss came against Deerfield back in the Paul Adams era.

Overall, Lake Forest has played a tougher regular and post season schedule. I think the 14 seed will prevail over the 2 seed in this one.
Agree, I like Lake Forsest as well. I have seen Deerfield this season, solid squad just don't think they have enough to beat Lake Forest

Definitely old enough! When Paul Adams was the coach, Deerfield was always a power to be reckoned with.

Reactions: mchsalumni and mmca
Depends, do you want the heated lot?

Brilliant comeback, Oddy -- one of the best in years.

Looking forward to meeting you, Newt and several other guys at The Silo soon I was thinking a Tues or Weds night, so as to avoid NFL. Your thoughts? Newt?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT