ADVERTISEMENT

Darkside Stock Game....sell if you want thread...Next season suggestions?

JCHILLTOPPERS

May 29, 2001
Not sure any of you fools can catch Amish...but if you have something sneaky up your sleeve, I suggest you play it now.

Do you have any suggestions for improving next season's version?

One change i will make will be to allow you to mark on your sheets which teams to sell instead of listing them for me on the board.

Did you like limiting the purchases, or did it create too many similarites.

I'd love to allow you to sell some of a team stock instead of all, and to purchase stocks during the playoffs instead of just before the first round...but to do so i would need a lot of help.

Other suggestions?

Not sure any of you fools can catch Amish...but if you have something sneaky up your sleeve, I suggest you play it now.

Do you have any suggestions for improving next season's version?

One change i will make will be to allow you to mark on your sheets which teams to sell instead of listing them for me on the board.

Did you like limiting the purchases, or did it create too many similarites.

I'd love to allow you to sell some of a team stock instead of all, and to purchase stocks during the playoffs instead of just before the first round...but to do so i would need a lot of help.

Other suggestions?
Spell out those things that you would need help with and ask for volunteers. Give them the ability to edit.

You made some changes with the game that helped. I really like the seeding and valuing of shares, and limiting the number you can purchase.

But, it is still basically a game that is won or lost in the first two rounds. I think an adjustment should be made to assign a greater weight to remaining shares held through higher round games in order to draw out the suspense and make people play the game all the way through the playoffs in order to win. Perhaps a simple factor would do the trick? For example, no factor for round 1, a factor of 1.5 for shares retained into round two, 2.0 in round 3, etc. Players would still be able to make a killing in the early rounds, but they wouldn't necessarily be able to do that and win the whole thing because of the weighted value of the later rounds -- especially if you allow ongoing purchasing. It would open up the game to be won through employing a variety of strategies. If you do decide to allow purchases after the first round, you might consider increasing the minimum # of shares that could be purchased in each succeeding round. This might cause people to go all in or make a big play in the later rounds and really make things interesting.

Thanks for all your work on this.

Last edited:
up the minimum just so I don't have to buy 60 teams. Buying after the first round. Let everyone do it on their own sheet. Shouldn't be hard at all. We can talk in the offseason for a spreadsheet revamp.

I'm too lazy to read the other comments so forgive me if I am suggesting something that has already been suggested.

I think it would be cool, but also take a lot of your time that you are so graciously giving in the first place, to be able to sell partial shares of teams and reinvest your earnings in other teams.

I'm too lazy to read the other comments so forgive me if I am suggesting something that has already been suggested.

I think it would be cool, but also take a lot of your time that you are so graciously giving in the first place, to be able to sell partial shares of teams and reinvest your earnings in other teams.

Man I was really lazy as you had suggested the same thing in your original post. Sounds like my fellow Naz guy godfthr has already thrown his hat in the ring to help figure out a way, I wouldn't mind assisting at all either.

up the minimum just so I don't have to buy 60 teams. Buying after the first round. Let everyone do it on their own sheet. Shouldn't be hard at all. We can talk in the offseason for a spreadsheet revamp.
The only reason why you feel you have to buy 60 teams is because the way to win this game is to purchase the max number of shares on all the low priced 5-4 and 6-3 schools schools playing CPL schools in round 1 and 2. If that were not the case, then you could purchase a mix of stocks and not feel obliged to play those dogs. I think we need a variable number of maximum shares per team that increases from round to round.

Please sell:

Libertyville

As for suggestions:

- I noticed my shares for a # 2 seed are worth less than the shares for # 1 seed. I would think they should be worth a little more being a slightly lower seed. Maybe make an adjustment for this.

- as has been mentioned, it seems the way to win is pick the low seeds in early rounds and sell. It is much easier to pick an upset for one game (especially with CPL teams involved) than to pick a team to win 5 straight games and a state title. Somehow weighing state title winners so more people will gamble at the end of the game may make it more interesting later in the game.

In any case, great job with the game as it was and thanks for putting all the time and effort in that you did. This was my first year playing and I really enjoyed it and for 1 more week GO LWW!

The way the game is currently, if you pick a 30 seed to win round 1, you will receive $600. If you pick a 1 seed to win every round and the state championship you will gain only $100. It's very advantageous to pick lots of low seeds. That being said if someone just picks every low seed and does not discriminate between teams that have really no chance at all, then they are just throwing that money away and will lose to someone who does discriminate. The best strategy, IMO, lies in picking all the low seeds that have a chance and never pick a team Higher than a 7 seed.

If you want the higher seeds to pay off I see two possibilities.

1. Have a championship bonus. Either getting to the final game or winning it all grants the stock owner a one time bonus to their stock. Maybe $50 per share to each player who holds stock in a championship weekend team?

Or

2. Have a stock split after the 3rd round. Any player who has a final four team will have his shares in that team double. 20 shares of Loyola becomes 40 shares at $35 (Loyola's 4th round price). Owners of Loyola would have seen their stock go from a value of $700 after defeating HF to $1400 under this system. However the owners of Bradley Boubornois would have seen their stock go from $1000 to $2000. The lower seeds would still pull in more overall money than a high seed who is less of a risk, but the players who keep their high seeds for a longer time will see their faith rewarded.

The way the game is currently, if you pick a 30 seed to win round 1, you will receive $600. If you pick a 1 seed to win every round and the state championship you will gain only $100. It's very advantageous to pick lots of low seeds. That being said if someone just picks every low seed and does not discriminate between teams that have really no chance at all, then they are just throwing that money away and will lose to someone who does discriminate. The best strategy, IMO, lies in picking all the low seeds that have a chance and never pick a team Higher than a 7 seed.

If you want the higher seeds to pay off I see two possibilities.

1. Have a championship bonus. Either getting to the final game or winning it all grants the stock owner a one time bonus to their stock. Maybe $50 per share to each player who holds stock in a championship weekend team?

Or

2. Have a stock split after the 3rd round. Any player who has a final four team will have his shares in that team double. 20 shares of Loyola becomes 40 shares at $35 (Loyola's 4th round price). Owners of Loyola would have seen their stock go from a value of $700 after defeating HF to $1400 under this system. However the owners of Bradley Boubornois would have seen their stock go from $1000 to $2000. The lower seeds would still pull in more overall money than a high seed who is less of a risk, but the players who keep their high seeds for a longer time will see their faith rewarded.
My strategy was no seed higher than 10 but that didn't work.

thanks everyone.

i like a lot of the suggestions and think they are worth incorporating.

i'l be selling all the stocks tomorrow morning. I'm taking a day of work, but not telling my wife. As edgy knows, if she finds out, she'll stab me.

I did not participate this year, but I did follow how it went. Looks like I missed out on quite a bit of fun. Good job JCHILL... My only suggestion would be... any chance of adding 4A? That would have been interesting with the Rochester upset.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT