ADVERTISEMENT

Damn Brian

JC

So right. As bad as the Bears have been it’s easy to forget how spoiled we were to watch a guy like that. A shame how he was forced out.

His speech tonight sounded truly from the heart.

Reactions: StateOH8
I would still take Singletary, the 85 version of Wilbur Marshall and probably Otis Wilson for my linebacker positions over Urlacher.

Singletary the worst of them all and it's not close
Really very hard to compare any of them. Especially Urlacher having to play that deep middle sideline to sideline guy in the cover 2. None of the other guys were asked to do what he did. And a while defense was built around him solely because he had the unique skill set to cover that much ground. Most of the others were more adept at playing downhill, but it's different eras. Definitely think Urlacher belongs in the conversation with all these greats. He deserves the hall for sure.

Wife was a HUGE Singletary fan and I still give her crap that he was too small and too slow...never sits well with her and I hear about it to this day....

Reactions: Gene K.
I would still take Singletary, the 85 version of Wilbur Marshall and probably Otis Wilson for my linebacker positions over Urlacher.

Tough call and I can see how some people would say Singletary belongs among the elite, but Singletary had a great defensive line ahead of him to make him look like a hall of famer.

No disrespect to Singletary, but he had Dan Hampton ahead of him in the 80s. Hampton kicking the crap out of opposing offensive linemen kept Singletary free to roam the field and actually play defense.

Brian Urlacher never had a defensive lineman of Hampton's caliber to plug holes and delay opposing linemen. And Singletary knows this.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Tough call and I can see how some people would say Singletary belongs among the elite, but Singletary had a great defensive line ahead of him to make him look like a hall of famer.

No disrespect to Singletary, but he had Dan Hampton ahead of him in the 80s. Hampton kicking the crap out of opposing offensive linemen kept Singletary free to roam the field and actually play defense.

Brian Urlacher never had a defensive lineman of Hampton's caliber to plug holes and delay opposing linemen. And Singletary knows this.
I know they weren't HoF caliber, but Washington/Traylor is the beginning of his career were pretty damn good. And Tommie Harris was the most talented D lineman in football before he had that freak injury. Personally, I still take Urlacher over all those guys still, but he had some talent in front of him, too.

Great speech by a great player and great Chicago Bear.

Do we see anyone else from those years making it in? Briggs? Tillman?

I think we do forget about Covert as well. He was one of the best at his position and was overshadowed by Munoz back then. At some point he gets in - maybe vets pick

is it possible that Ray Lewis is the biggest phony in sports? I can’t think of anyone else.

PS, Olin Kreutz will be the next Bear HoF’er.
Ray Lewis was great in his heyday but towards the end he was getting killed out there. He was on the ground all the time. It frustrates me to hear the commentators talk about how great he was when in fact he was one of the worst defenders on that defense at the end of his career.

Ray Lewis was great in his heyday but towards the end he was getting killed out there. He was on the ground all the time. It frustrates me to hear the commentators talk about how great he was when in fact he was one of the worst defenders on that defense at the end of his career.
Are you sure he was being killed? He may have just been obstructed.

The Lewis vs Urlacher debate is a good one in my mind.

Feel you have to give Urlacher his due as the better overall athlete: made that deep cover 2 happen, sideline to sideline coverage, bang up front with the big boys if he needed to, and believe he still may hold the single game tackle record from that 2006 epic with AZ. The first few games against Michael Vick always stand out as well.

In the long run, Lewis gets the accolades, the rings and higher total stats over a longer career. Had Urlacher won a ring I have to think that could push him to the top linebacker of the decade...but I clearly have my biases...

This post is insane. Urlacher was a far better LB than any of those guys. let the past go, man. None of those guys you mention would be nearly as effective in today's game.

Kind of surprised about everyone's Urlacher vs Singletary debate and in the end I like them both since I root for the Bears.

I would find it interesting to get John Maddens take on this but could not find anything on the internet. I did Google all time linebacker rankings just now for the heck of it and all 3 times they ranked Singletary over Urlacher including 247 sports, fox and nfl.com. Not that it matters everyone has their own opinion.

Anyhow I really liked all our great linebackers! We were so lucky to have them in Chicago!

I think we do forget about Covert as well. He was one of the best at his position and was overshadowed by Munoz back then. At some point he gets in - maybe vets pick
I think Covert was real good for a few years, but not enough for the HOF, in my opinion.

Kind of surprised about everyone's Urlacher vs Singletary debate and in the end I like them both since I root for the Bears.

I would find it interesting to get John Maddens take on this but could not find anything on the internet. I did Google all time linebacker rankings just now for the heck of it and all 3 times they ranked Singletary over Urlacher including 247 sports, fox and nfl.com. Not that it matters everyone has their own opinion.

Anyhow I really liked all our great linebackers! We were so lucky to have them in Chicago!

Brian is the far better player and it’s not even close.....

Why Madden’s?????

is it possible that Ray Lewis is the biggest phony in sports? I can’t think of anyone else.

PS, Olin Kreutz will be the next Bear HoF’er.
Randy Moss & Lebron.They should wear a tie with the names of our great law enforcement killed by thugs.That couldn’t make a tie that long

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT