ADVERTISEMENT

CS8 Predictions Week 8

The_Oldfan

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2022
The more I look at this week, the more it seems to be predictable despite the fact that there are a couple of items of interest. It looks like Loose Ends Tie Up Week. Time for some teams to be planning for the playoffs and others to start bouncing basketballs.

In order of relevance to the playoffs the games are:
MacArthur at Normal U. High. U. High played well early in the season but with this kamikaze 4 game ending and no playoff prospects It would hardly be surprising to see morale collapse. MacArthur needs this game to punch their playoff ticket and has been playing well even in losses. Mac 35-14

Glenwood at Springfield. This will likely be a blowout but there are two factors of interest. Springfield has theoretically 2 possible avenues to a playoff bid. The 1st is the probably hopeless but theoretically possible chance that a few 4 - 5 teams teams will get a bid since, as I understand it there are less than 512 teams still playing 11-man football and 256 open slots. The 2nd would be a sweep of their final 2 games. Unfortunately the next game is Glenwood, coming off of a 49-0 humiliation at SHG. The Titans will come out with blood in their eyes and a lot to prove, at least in their own mind. Glenwood 49-7

Jacksonville at Rochester. Jax has their magic ticket and no reason to try to pull off any miracles. Rochester is tuning up for the second season which may hurt intensity some. Neither team wants to risk injuries at this point. Rochester 42-7.

Lanphier at SHG. I would hate to be the coaches of either team trying to build any sort of intensity. Don't be surprised if the coaches agree to a running clock before halftime.
SHG 56-0

Eisenhower at Southeast. The only question is whether Eisenhower will have sole possession of last place or they will share a 3 way tie with Lanphier. I'm sure both teams are thinking more far more about basketball than football at this stage. Given the number of games played at Spartan Field this year, field condition might be the biggest factor in the score. Southeast 21-7

Last edited:
I think the IHSA site is wrong and Southeast is at Eisenhower, with Springfield playing it’s “home” game at Southeast.

Five Friday night games this week.

Lanphier (1-6) at SHG (7-0)
The Lions need to savor last week’s victory over Eisenhower. This game will be over quickly. SHG should have the reserves in by the 2nd Quarter. SHG 54 Lanphier 0.

Southeast (1-6) at Eisenhower (0-7)
Southeast should get win number 2 on the road. Eisenhower did score 18 points last week against Lanphier after being shutout 5 weeks in a row. Southeast 33 Eisenhower 12.

MacArthur (4-3) at U High (3-4)
This should give Mac their all important 5th win of the season. U High has better numbers at the 9th and 10th grade level, but I counted fewer than 20 upperclassmen on their roster last week against Rochester. This might be close for a half, but expect Mac to pull away. MacArthur 34 U High 14.

Chatham (5-2) at Springfield (3-4) game at Southeast
I can’t quite pull the trigger on a Springfield upset but this has a good chance of being a close contest. Springfield has developed a pretty good running attack, and Chatham has been vulnerable to this at times. Chatham’s state of mind is unknown after last week’s hammering by the Cyclones. The Senators have turnover issues and have fallen way behind early in three of their four losses. Chatham might be up 21-0 at the end of the first Quarter and cruising to their 6th win. If not, the game may go down to the wire. Chatham eventually pulls this out, leaving Springfield outside the playoff picture. Chatham 37 Springfield 28.

Jacksonville (5-2) at Rochester (6-1)
Senior night at Rocket Stadium. Jacksonville will give the Rockets run defense their biggest test this season. Owens and Mitchell give the Crimsons a good 1-2 punch. Mitchell returned a kick off for a TD last year. Jacksonville was in both their losses this season at half before fading against Chatham and SHG. I expect the Rockets to run their offense at an extremely fast pace in an attempt to wear out the Crimson defense. Keeton Reiss is throwing better each week and has three solid receiving options in Gillespie, Bruce, and Swaney. The Rockets were sloppy last week against U High, and I expect to see a better mental performance this week after some constructive criticism from the coaching staff. Rochester 49 Jacksonville 21.

Last edited:
Reactions: cigaros
All.... The only thing I believe will hold down the score for the Titans against SHS this week is dirt and lack of grass at the Southeast field after all those games. (LOL) Titans by 21 plus. Ratsy

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K.

The Lions should savor last week’s victory over Eisenhower. This game will be over quickly. SHG should have the reserves in by the 2nd Quarter. SHG 54 Lanphier 0.

Southeast should get win number 2 on the road. Eisenhower did score 18 points last week against Lanphier after being shutout 5 weeks in a row. Southeast 33 Eisenhower 12.

This should give Mac their 5th win of the season. U High has better numbers at the 9th and 10th grade level, but I counted fewer than 20 upperclassmen in their roster last week against Rochester. This might be close for a half, but Mac should pull away. MacArthur 34 U High 14.

I can’t quite pull the trigger on a Springfield upset but this has a good chance of being a close contest. Springfield has developed a pretty good running attack, and Chatham has been vulnerable to this at times. Chatham’s state of mind unknown after last week’s hammering by the Cyclones. The Senators have turnover issues and have fallen way behind early in three of their four losses. Chatham might be up 21-0 at the end of the first Quarter. If not, this could go down to the wire. Chatham eventually pulls this out, leaving Springfield outside the playoff picture. Chatham 37 Springfield 28.

Senior night at Rocket Stadium. Jacksonville will give the Rockets run defense their biggest test this season. Owens and Mitchell give the Crimsons a good 1-2 punch. Jacksonville was in both their losses this season at half before fading against Chatham and SHG. I expect the Rockets to run their offense at an extremely fast pace in an attempt to wear out the Crimson defense. Keeton Reiss is throwing better each week and has three solid receiving options in Gillespie, Bruce, and Swaney. The Rockets were sloppy last week against U High, and I expect to see a better mental performance this week after some constructive criticism from the coaching staff. Rochester 49 Jacksonville 21.
It's weird to watch. Every year since Normal U joined the CS8, Rochester has played them a bit sloppy. It always throws off the people who watch this conference closely. One week, Rochester is putting a running clock on Chatham and the next week they can't put U-High out early. Quite a testament to the U-High staff for finding ways to use their strengths. Nonetheless, it provides a mental challenge to the habitually successful Rockets and keeps the staff from ever being complacent, I'm sure.

The Lions should savor last week’s victory over Eisenhower. This game will be over quickly. SHG should have the reserves in by the 2nd Quarter. SHG 54 Lanphier 0.

This should give Mac their 5th win of the season. U High has better numbers at the 9th and 10th grade level, but I counted fewer than 20 upperclassmen in their roster last week against Rochester. This might be close for a half, but Mac should pull away. MacArthur 34 U High 14.

I can’t quite pull the trigger on a Springfield upset but this has a good chance of being a close contest. Springfield has developed a pretty good running attack, and Chatham has been vulnerable to this at times. Chatham’s state of mind unknown after last week’s hammering by the Cyclones. The Senators have turnover issues and have fallen way behind early in three of their four losses. Chatham might be up 21-0 at the end of the first Quarter. If not, this could go down to the wire. Chatham eventually pulls this out, leaving Springfield outside the playoff picture. Chatham 37 Springfield 28.

Senior night at Rocket Stadium. Jacksonville will give the Rockets run defense their biggest test this season. Owens and Mitchell give the Crimsons a good 1-2 punch. Jacksonville was in both their losses this season at half before fading against Chatham and SHG. I expect the Rockets to run their offense at an extremely fast pace in an attempt to wear out the Crimson defense. Keeton Reiss is throwing better each week and has three solid receiving options in Gillespie, Bruce, and Swaney. The Rockets were sloppy last week against U High, and I expect to see a better mental performance this week after some constructive criticism from the coaching staff. Rochester 49 Jacksonville 21.
I started a new thread about the recent 4A qualifiers and to which bracket they may be placed. Have you plotted the map for yourself yet? If mine is correct, Morris, Coal City, SHG, and Rochester would be in a very strong Southern bracket.

If you are a believer in the idea that week 8 and 9 regular season games against tough(er) opponents prepares a team for the playoffs, then Rochester should be set up well heading into the post-season. Their last two games are against Jacksonville and MacArthur. Both teams should be tougher (or at least as tough) than the first two Class4A teams the Rockets are likely to face in the playoffs.

The above is not to say that playing weak(er) teams in weeks 8 and 9 is a detriment to post-season play, but just for the sake of it consider SHG's last two regular season opponents: Lanphier and Southeast. Probably a good opportunity for the Cyclones to hold out anyone who might benefit from a week or two off to better heal or rest. Many teams have also used such an occasion to work on or fine-tune plays, with the understanding that you are doing this against significantly weaker opponents than you are likely to face come playoff time, especially if you reach the later rounds. I am sure the second and third string Cyclone players are looking forward to getting more playing time these next two weeks.

This is not to ignore Jacksonville and MacArthur. Playing Rochester in one the last two regular season games should be a look ahead for both the Crimsons and Generals in regard to Class 5A-level competition they could face come playoff time. The one caveat here: The Generals are advised to have 5 wins (by beating U High this week) before their week 9 game against the Rockets!!!!

Springfield at 3-4 is behind the 8-ball in terms of getting 5 wins. While they face Lanphier week 9, they play Chatham Glenwood this week. The fact that it is at Southeast is a non-factor. I suspect the Titans will be geared up to put a beatdown on the Senators!

Respectfully submitted for your viewing pleasure(?).

Last edited:
Overall the Cyclones seem to be as healthy as I can ever recall them t his late in the season. My worry come playoff time is that the starters have not played a full four quarter game. I don't recall now whether the Rochester game went into the fourth but n ot even that one was a full game. Maybe there is a tradeoff in the reserves having plenty of varsity experience. ...Maybe....

Overall the Cyclones seem to be as healthy as I can ever recall them t his late in the season. My worry come playoff time is that the starters have not played a full four quarter game. I don't recall now whether the Rochester game went into the fourth but n ot even that one was a full game. Maybe there is a tradeoff in the reserves having plenty of varsity experience. ...Maybe....
Why do you worry about the starters not having played a full four quarter game? They say all teams have players dinged up, tired, etc., this time of year. As you say, it appears SHG this year has less of a problem with this. If it's a stamina problem you're worried about, I see this being less of a problem than if we are were talking about playing in 80-90 degree weather as happened with teams in August and earlier September. I would be more concerned with the Cyclones not having as many close, competitive games during the regular season. Is that what concerns you, i.e., the starters NOT really being challenged and thus being pulled early.

As far as the reserves getting playing time, how does that help the team this year going forward? Remember, the reserves playing these last two weeks will not be against quality competition. I believe underclass reserves will benefit more from playing (experience going into next season) than senior class reserves who happen to get in. If the "reserves" weren't being worked in throughout the year to give the starters a rest for a series or two, I don't see how the team improves much from the traditional reserves (only playing in blowouts) playing a lot in the next two games of the regular seasons.

It's hard to explain I but I've heard it over and over for years. SHG stays good year after year because of fourthings
1. Coaching, self explanatory
2. Practice, SHG kids, starting with sophomore year or even earlier, practice against better players than they are likely to see in game.
3. Usually longer playing and practice season
4. Late game varsity game experience. Maybe it's against lesser players, either reserves or tired defeated starters, but its still in the big field, under the lights with the crowd and P.A.

When their turn comes there are no surprises.

To answer your other question. I have two concerns. Practice as hard as you want, it's still not the same as a hard four quarter game. Also the offense in particular gets much LESS playing time. SHG almost always scores fast, five or six plays is a long drive. When time of possession is less than a quarter of the other team, it just worries me that they aren't building stamina for a four quarter game. Although, and this is just.my theory, so many of their receivers and LBs play some both ways maybe it isn't as big an issue as I worry.

Plus, I'm just a worrier.

Reactions: rocketnation
It's hard to explain I but I've heard it over and over for years. SHG stays good year after year because of fourthings
1. Coaching, self explanatory
2. Practice, SHG kids, starting with sophomore year or even earlier, practice against better players than they are likely to see in game.
3. Usually longer playing and practice season
4. Late game varsity game experience. Maybe it's against lesser players, either reserves or tired defeated starters, but its still in the big field, under the lights with the crowd and P.A.

When their turn comes there are no surprises.

To answer your other question. I have two concerns. Practice as hard as you want, it's still not the same as a hard four quarter game. Also the offense in particular gets much LESS playing time. SHG almost always scores fast, five or six plays is a long drive. When time of possession is less than a quarter of the other team, it just worries me that they aren't building stamina for a four quarter game. Although, and this is just.my theory, so many of their receivers and LBs play some both ways maybe it isn't as big an issue as I worry.

Plus, I'm just a worrier.
No problem with being a worrier. If things work out for the better, so much the merrier!!

As far as playing both ways is concerned, I see that only being a problem against a ground-and-pound team and one good enough to keep the SHG defense on the field for a significant amount of time. It appears that could be an issue with only three opponents in the entire 32-team , 4A post-season field, and two of those potential opponents will more than likely play each other. That means we are only left with two: one in the South Bracket (you know whom) and one in the North Bracket. Put another way: a run-and-gun team will not be a detriment as far as wearing down the Cyclones is concerned. The biggest danger would be the ability of the other team keeping pace with or outscoring SHG in the run-and-gun battle.

SJR Staff Predictions
SHG 56 Lanphier 0
Southeast 28 Eisenhower 14
Chatham 42 Springfield 7
Rochester 49 Jacksonville 14
No prediction for MacArthur vs U High

I was a little surprised that 2 of the 3 Sports Radio 1450 commentators picked U High over Mac. I don’t see it, but we’ll find out tomorrow night.

Reactions: RockSoup
SJR Staff Predictions
SHG 56 Lanphier 0
Chatham 42 Springfield 7

I was a little surprised that 2 of the 3 Sports Radio 1450 commentators picked U High over Mac. I don’t see it, but we’ll find out tomorrow night.
They're playing at Normal. But even so, DMac needs this game to make the dance. With Rochester next week it's a must win. So I'd go far beyond surprised. Maybe they have inside info but ,?????

All.... Malleus. Received your message I had already stopped by at Magro's. Tomorrow at "Shangri-La their special made Italian Sausage on the grill. I'm told it is excellent. See you then. Ratsy P.S. Until then a little pregame ditty for our visiting friends from Lanphier.

Last edited:
All.... Malleus. Received your message I had already visited Magro's. Tomorrow at "Shangri-La their special made Italian Sausage on the grill. I'm told it is excellent. See you then. Ratsy P.S. Until then a little pregame ditty for our visiting friends from Lanphier.
Will "chef" Dave be there? Sounds like it will be cold enough for the "three-headed" burner. Nothing beats a nice, cozy tent. Does "Shangri-La" still open at 1500 hours?

SJR Staff Predictions
SHG 56 Lanphier 0
Chatham 42 Springfield 7

U High over Mac? Hope that isn't Coach Spates's attitude. Mac has a playoff berth staring them in the face. Now all they need to do is GRAB it.

Will "chef" Dave be there? Sounds like it will be cold enough for the "three-headed" burner. Nothing beats a nice, cozy tent. Does "Shangri-La" still open at 1500 hours?All.

Will "chef" Dave be there? Sounds like it will be cold enough for the "three-headed" burner. Nothing beats a nice, cozy tent. Does "Shangri-La" still open at 1500 hours?
All.... No, yes, "Big Ben" will be present and running and yes 3pm. Ratsy P.S. Chef Craig, Chef Jack, or a rodent working the grill. LETS GO CYCLONES!

You guys are aware of the fire warnings, right?

Question for next week.

The SHG at Southeast game will be played at SHG, presumably due to the condition of the Southeast field. When that happens, I assume Southeast will remain the home team. Does that mean that the crowd (not that I think it'll be very large) will switch sides also?

You guys are aware of the fire warnings, right?

Question for next week.

The SHG at Southeast game will be played at SHG, presumably due to the condition of the Southeast field. When that happens, I assume Southeast will remain the home team. Does that mean that the crowd (not that I think it'll be very large) will switch sides also?
All.... I do my best in setting it up a few yards away from the wooded area. (lol) The funniest thing I saw one time out at Shangri-La was some good folk diehard fans that have this big commercial type grill on wheels you pull behind a truck. I guess of a wood burning type. You can see it out there as I speak Oldfan. Anyway I'm already set up and notice a couple of gents toss out on the ground this huge old dresser. (I believe a horrible looking green one) and proceed to bash it into pieces. Seemed like a lot of work when you have plenty of dead material to burn all around you out of the Griffin Woods. But boy did those sledge hammers do a job on that dresser. A second event I found amusing was during a cold November playoff game someone brings one of the biggest steel firepits I have ever seen. Now they did have it in the middle of the tailgate area away from any and all trees. That thing loaded up must of had a 10 foot flame burning straight up to the heavens. I didn't have the heart to go over and tell the very large group standing around it in a circle some in very nice winter attire that their clothes would be smelling like old cigs in a ash tray the next morning.

As for the Southeast game we discussed sitting arrangements last week wondering as well. A good question. It's my understanding that Southeast gets the gate receipts and 30% of the concession. If they also want to sit on what is normally the SHG home side go let them. 2500 on the home side and about 2000 on the visitors. Don't believe there will be a lack of space for anyone.... Ratsy

All.... I do my best in setting it up a few yards away from the wooded area. (lol) The funniest thing I saw one time out at Shangri-La was some good folk diehard fans that have this big commercial type grill on wheels you pull behind a truck. I guess of a wood burning type. You can see it out there as I speak Oldfan. Anyway I'm already set up and notice a couple of gents toss out on the ground this huge old dresser. (I believe a horrible looking green one) and proceed to bash it into pieces. Seemed like a lot of work when you have plenty of dead material to burn all around you out of the Griffin Woods. But boy did those sledge hammers do a job on that dresser. A second event I found amusing was during a cold November playoff game someone brings one of the biggest steel firepits I have ever seen. Now they did have it in the middle of the tailgate area away from any and all trees. That thing loaded up must of had a 10 foot flame burning straight up to the heavens. I didn't have the heart to go over and tell the very large group standing around it in a circle some in very nice winter attire that their clothes would be smelling like old cigs in a ash tray the next morning.

As for the Southeast game we discussed sitting arrangements last week wondering as well. A good question. It's my understanding that Southeast gets the gate receipts and 30% of the concession. If they also want to sit on what is normally the SHG home side go let them. 2500 on the home side and about 2000 on the visitors. Don't believe there will be a lack of space for anyone.... Ratsy
I'm with you Brut ..., I mean rat! Let the Spartan fans sit where they want. It's worth it not having to play on the grass (dirt?) at Spartan Stadium. I don't know if it's tore up or not, but with all the games played on it this year, hard to believe the field does not have a number of divots and clumps. No use risking injuries playing on a surface like that this late in the season when a chance presents itself to play on nice turf!!

If they also want to sit on what is normally the SHG home side go let them. 2500 on the home side and about 2000 on the visitors. Don't believe there will be a lack of space for anyone.... Ratsy
I haven't physically been able to get to a game since 2019 and NFHS never shows the home side of the stadium. But Sam and Tim have been talking all season about low Cyclone fan turnout. . (IMO It's really sad, what passes for fans now).

That said I don't think either gate or concessions will be much. SE never has traveled well for football. How many of their fans will bother to follow a 1-7 team walking into an almost inevitable running clock blowout? For that matter, how many of ours will bother coming out in the cold for a game that should be over before half-time?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
I haven't physically been able to get to a game since 2019 and NFHS never shows the home side of the stadium. But Sam and Tim have been talking all season about low Cyclone fan turnout. . (IMO It's really sad, what passes for fans now).

That said I don't think either gate or concessions will be much. SE never has traveled well for football. How many of their fans will bother to follow a 1-7 team walking into an almost inevitable running clock blowout? For that matter, how many of ours will bother coming out in the cold for a game that should be over before half-time?
The heck with the game. The rat's 🐀corner is where all the action and fun is:D:D:D:D!!

Half time scores

Rochester 35 Jacksonville 0

Glenwood 28 Springfield 28

MacArthur 6. U HIGH 3. 2nd Qtr

SHG 51 Lanphier 0 ,Running clock started 11:19 of 2nd quarter So far Lanphier has not passed their own 20. Net yards minus 54.

Hmm. Never saw this before. Running clock, no play clock. 10 minute quarters. Deep reserves just scored again.

Last edited:
MacArthur survives scare. Stops UHigh on 4th down at the two as time runs out 14-9 final

All Finals
SHG 66 Lanphier 6. Lanphier scored on a deflected pass late to avoid the shutout. The SHG reserves got plenty of playing time, particularly nice for the Seniors as this was the last “home” game of the regular season.

Rochester 42 Jacksonville 14. Rochester led 35-0 at half and 42-0 early in the 3rd. Jacksonville showed very little before getting two feel better TD’s against the Rocket reserves. With a D-1 QB and some speed at RB, the Crimsons instead kept trying to play power ball and run up the middle, mostly without success. Ian Lichtenberger, Tyson Binion, and Parker Gillespie all scored twice. A nice effort by the first string Rocket defense. Much less sloppy effort overall than last week, even as the rain picked up.

Decatur Mac 14 U High 9. Mac limps to a playoff clinching 5th win but is taken to the very end by U High. Mac apparently had a goal line stand in the last minute to preserve the win.

Chatham 48 Springfield 14. A nice bounce back win for Chatham who should end up 7-2. Chatham led 28-0 at half and never looked back. Springfield again disappoints and now can do no better than 4-5.

Eisenhower 26 Southeast 22. Hoping the TV station that reported this had the score right. Eisenhower gets the win at home and avoids being blanked on the season. A tough loss for the Spartans who were favored despite coming into the contest 1-6. Congrats to Coach Johnson on his first win.

Last edited:
All Finals
SHG 66 Lanphier 6. Lanphier scored on a batted pass late to avoid the shutout. The SHG reserves got plenty of playing time, particularly nice for the Seniors as this was the last “home” game of the regular season.

Rochester 42 Jacksonville 14. Rochester led 35-0 at half and 42-0 early in the 3rd. Jacksonville showed very little before getting two feel better TD’s against the Rocket reserves. With a D-1 QB and some speed at RB, the Crimsons instead kept trying to play power ball and run up the middle, mostly without success. Ian Lichtenberger, Tyson Binion, and Parker Gillespie all scored twice. A nice effort by the first string Rocket defense. Much less sloppy effort overall than last week, even as the rain picked up.

Decatur Mac 14 U High 9. Mac limps to a playoff clinching 5th win but is taken to the very end by U High. Mac apparently had a goal line stand in the last minute to preserve the win.

Chatham 48 Springfield 14. A nice bounce back win for Chatham who should end up 7-2. Chatham led 28-0 at half and never looked back. Springfield again disappoints and now can do no better than 4-5.

Cannot find anything on Southeast and Eisenhower, not even on the Decatur Herald site. Will try to fill in later.
Scorestream app is usually pretty good with score updates.

Reactions: rocketnation
How bad was the westher.. Mafinia nentioned it but their stream was so erratic I was only getting one word in 4

Love the name of the soph late in the game. Says O'Brien - talk about a great Catholic football moniker!

What's the skinny on the fight and ejection. Between NFHS lousy coverage and Sportsradio 1450 cutting in and out. I have NP idea.

All.... Malleus! After taking all that "medicine" I forgot to thank you for getting me plugged in (damn wires) to the local broadcast as our little group watched the Cycs in miserable weather have their way with the Lions. I feel an old song coming on from the 60's but again..... Ratsy

All.... Malleus! After taking all that "medicine" I forgot to thank you for getting me plugged in (damn wires) to the local broadcast as our little group watched the Cycs in miserable weather have their way with the Lions. I feel an old song coming on from the 60's but again..... Ratsy
Thanks 🐀. As on other occasions, I consider it my civic duty. In addition, just consider my untangling the wires my payment for the great sausage. Bring on the chili dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MacArthur survives scare. Stops UHigh on 4th down at the two as time runs out 14-9 final
This win by the Generals is the difference between the CS8 getting 5 teams into the playoffs instead of 4. Probably one of the most significant wins in the recent past for MacArthur. With Rochester next week, this was THE game for them!! The goal line stand made it even more dramatic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT