ADVERTISEMENT

CPS Strike?

superac777

Aug 28, 2006
Sources say a real good shot CPS May strike in a few weeks.Very sad for the kids if that happens but just think what would happen if CPS no playoffs.I remember 87 Lane Tech wore themselves out & would have won state if not for the strike.Rich South would not have made the playoffs but got in because of the strike.Made it to the semi finals

Reactions: Schwab54
They were already predicting that there might be several 4-5 teams make the playoffs this year due to a number of schools dropping 11-man football.

yep 6 wins is the IHSA auto qualifier so if a team isn't 6-0 after Oct 5th there may be problems since the projected strike date is October 7th. 5 win teams could be ok if the strike last a week, anything past that could be major problems. CPS could possibly schedule doubleheader weeks (play sunday and Saturday) only for playoff eligible conference teams. they need to plan NOW, book field NOW

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
yep 6 wins is the IHSA auto qualifier so if a team isn't 6-0 after Oct 5th there may be problems since the projected strike date is October 7th. 5 win teams could be ok if the strike last a week, anything past that could be major problems. CPS could possibly schedule doubleheader weeks (play sunday and Saturday) only for playoff eligible conference teams. they need to plan NOW, book field NOW

I would take a lot for cps to plan something. Jaton will never do that. It would make too much sense for Jaton to do that.

Reactions: Coach Percy
New IHSA rules won’t allow for doubleheader games. Saturday and Sunday is a nonstarter. And unless I’m wrong once the strike is over, Teams are required to have 3 practices before playing a game

Reactions: Gene K.
New IHSA rules won’t allow for doubleheader games. Saturday and Sunday is a nonstarter. And unless I’m wrong once the strike is over, Teams are required to have 3 practices before playing a game
Phillips played yesterday (Sunday) and play Simeon this Saturday.....it possible and needs to be explored ASAP for a potential CPS strike.

Believe a week in ihsa football is Friday to Thursday.
If teachers go out and city doesnt give in, they'll be out awhile. They didnt get shit when they went out last time so be no point to do the same this time.

The strike date would most likely be the 17th since that is the day the support staff in SEIU can strike as well. That means the last 2 weeks of CPS football will be in jeopardy. There is no way that CPS Sports administration has the foresight to start planning for this potential issue in September. While they were able to reschedule a number of games from Friday night to Sunday and Monday, there were also a number of teams that forfeited games with the day changes. CPS schedules games Thursday through Saturday and uses the stadiums for soccer on other days.

What does Ihsa do with making playoff brackets if schools are still on strike that bracket Saturday? Or then if its settled the following Tues?

What does Ihsa do with making playoff brackets if schools are still on strike that bracket Saturday? Or then if its settled the following Tues?
From my understanding if the strike lasts 2 weeks, then teams would need 5 days of practice until they can return to competition. So if they strike the last 2 weeks of the season, it wouldn’t really make a difference if the strike was settled on the Tuesday after selection Saturday. There wouldn’t be enough time to get the 5 practices in before a game.

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
From my understanding if the strike lasts 2 weeks, then teams would need 5 days of practice until they can return to competition. So if they strike the last 2 weeks of the season, it wouldn’t really make a difference if the strike was settled on the Tuesday after selection Saturday. There wouldn’t be enough time to get the 5 practices in before a game.
I have a hard time believing that if the strike lasts two weeks the IHSA doesn't magically waive this rule for CPS teams. Faced with a bunch of holes in the playoff brackets, and with a couple of highly ranked CPS teams not in those playoff brackets, I have a hard time believing "safety" will be the number one concern in this decision.

I agree, I think they would find a way to make sure that teams like Simeon and Phillips, who could make deep runs, were in the playoffs.

if the strike is still in effect on selection Saturday, the ihsa couldn’t put those teams into the playoffs right?

Will we see ESL fizzle before the end of the season?
The police and fire pension funds are demanding the comptroller intervene (ie: seize tax revenues) over $4M that they claim the city has shorted them.

I have a hard time believing that if the strike lasts two weeks the IHSA doesn't magically waive this rule for CPS teams. Faced with a bunch of holes in the playoff brackets, and with a couple of highly ranked CPS teams not in those playoff brackets, I have a hard time believing "safety" will be the number one concern in this decision.
There will be lawyers and pastors on speed dial if it looks like they won't get in because of the strike. Sure the mayor and ctu already been made aware of the scenerio.

I agree, I think they would find a way to make sure that teams like Simeon and Phillips, who could make deep runs, were in the playoffs.

if the strike is still in effect on selection Saturday, the ihsa couldn’t put those teams into the playoffs right?

I have no idea what they would do or what the policy is but I would think the most appopriate action would be bracket the playoffs with the cps qualifiers and if they can play great and if not it’s a forfeit and advancement for the bracketed opponent. But I’m sure others would disagree...

I have no idea what they would do or what the policy is but I would think the most appopriate action would be bracket the playoffs with the cps qualifiers and if they can play great and if not it’s a forfeit and advancement for the bracketed opponent. But I’m sure others would disagree...
Just looked it up. 14+ day strike requires 5 practices over 5 days before being allowed to compete. 3 practices over 3 days for less than 14. IHSA will put any teams that qualify into their respective brackets and if the strike is still ongoing, those teams will forfeit any scheduled games. Needless to say, the senior ball players from schools like Simeon and Phillips would not be very happy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT