ADVERTISEMENT

CPL Pick'Em Road Trip Ohio Edition

Schwab54

Nov 13, 2016
Here we are once again. Still no football in Illinois and still lots of football just about everywhere else. This week in the Road Trip we will visit the great(??) state of Ohio. While I don't know much about Ohio football I can say they do have some top notch nicknames and really what more can you ask for! Let's get to the matchups!

Normandy Invaders vs Parma Redmen
One thing I dislike is schools who screw up their nickname. Parma Redmen is awful. The Parma Chickens or Chicken Parma I can get behind because who does not love a little chicken parm! But in this matchup it truly does not matter who is playing Normandy. This school is fantastic and combines both the Norman Invasion of England in 1066 and the Allied Powers invasion of Europe on D-Day. And how do we know that this is true? Well it's because their mascot is an 11th century Knight riding atop a World War II Tank. I'm sorry but I do not think a mascot can get any more badass than that!
Invaders by 200

Mount Healthy Owls vs Ross Rams
Not only do they have great mascots look at that school, Mount Healthy! The Ross Rams get points for the alliteration but it's kind of boring. The Mount Healthy Owls now they raise questions. What do they serve in the cafeteria? Do they have one of those weird vending machines that took away all the good stuff and you can only get 6 kinds of water and celery sticks? Do they have any players who can basically turn their head completely around like an Owl? While most would lean towards the Ram over the Owl, give me the ability of flight and talons combined with our ability to strike at night!
Owls by 14

Vermilion Sailors vs Willard Crimson Flashes
Can't say I'm a big guy by if you're going to go Crimson something I feel like Crimson Tide would be better than old Willie and the Crimson Flashes. Then we have the Vermilion Sailors. If you're going to go Sailors think you should go The Vermilion Popeyes! I bet Popeye could play some football. Personally though when I hear Sailor I think of a run-in I had with Sailor Jerry when I was about 19, it was a long night and didn't go great for me and I don't see this one going great for Willie!
Sailors by 92 proof...I mean points

University School Preppers vs Gilmour Academy Lancers
I mean...I just can't...I know we have some preppy schools in Illinois that can play. And I'm sure Gilmour Academy is pretty preppy too but I mean CMON MAN! Lancers have swords, preppies have what? A double popper collar? Hated that look in high school, hate that look now!
Fenger Fingers by 5

Mansfield Senior Tygers vs Mt Vernon Yellowjackets
The Tygers definitely belong in the CPL! In Ohio you see you're playing the Tygers and you probably think someone made a Tyger. In the CPL you see you're playing the Tygers and you don't even have a second thought! So as I do on occasion I took a look at the Tygers. There seems to be two stories about how they became the Tygers. One has to do with a poem by William Blake from the 1700's that starts Tyger Tyger, burning bright. The story that seems more likely to me is they played another school that was also nicknamed the Tigers and the two schools played a game for the right to the "I" so when Mansfield lost they changed to the Tygers since they couldn't use the I anymore. Whether it was due to a poem or because they lost a football game I don't think I can pick them.
YellowJackets by 12

Shenandoah Zeps vs Northridge Vikings
While it would have been cooler if Shenandoah had been named after Led Zeppelin but that is not the case. But Zeppelin's are still pretty cool and much more original than Vikings.
Zeps by 21

Norwalk Truckers vs Columbian Tornadoes
Not sure I have ever come across a school named the Truckers but that is pretty awesome. While the Columbian Tornadoes isn't bad I feel like you could have done more than Tornadoes, The Columbian Sharknados would be an improvement. Back to the Truckers I worry that a school named the truckers might just have a T on their helmets but that is not the case. Not they have an awesome logo but unfortunatley do not put that on the helmet. BUT they save it with a big truck on the front of the helmet. It's pretty awesome, Norwalk keep on Truckin!
Truckers win by 30

Ross Little Giants vs St Frances de Sale Knights
Knights are cool but Knights on World War II tanks are cooler. St Frances has no Tanks. Little Giants don't have tanks either but do you know what they have? They got an IceBox, they have the annexation of Puerto Rico, they have PBJ's in their helmets, they have intimidation, they got a QB who can throw toilet paper rolls and they know that football is 80% mental and 40% physical. What more do they need!
Little Giants by 17

John Glenn Little Muskies vs Tri Valley Scotties
John Glenn is a great man. Served in the marines and was an astronaut. The fact that they aren't the John Glenn Astronauts seems like a total miss on their part. And while Little Giants may work throwing little in front of muskies does nothing for these guys. Now I know a college team nicknamed the Scotties. They have coaches who wear kilts. Tri Valley's coaches don't wear kilts. Huge miss on their part. This game is hard to pick with all these misses.
You know who never misses? The Senn DAWGZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO GIVE ME THE DAWGZ BY 20

Centerville Elk vs Miamisburg Vikings
Elks are kind of cool. Vikings we went over aren't super original. Miamisburg is also a name that I feel has potential. So much cool with Miami and the U that you should have tried to play off of. The coolest part about the Centerville Elks though? One of their alumni is AJ Hawk. Now I didn't love AJ Hawk when he was in the NFL because cmon the guy was on the Packers. But you know what I do love about AJ Hawk now? Guy is on with Pat McAfee and Pat McAfee is the man! Showed up with Pat McAfee when McAfee wrestled!
For the Brand! Elks by 3

Crooksville Ceramics vs Morgan Raiders
The fact that we don't have a Crooksville High School in Chicago seems like a miss. I for sure could get down with a Thursday 3:15 at Rockne with Crooksville playing CICS Longwood, seems like a matchup the fans would love! But back to Ohio unfortunately. I'm a little worried about how the Ceramics are gonna matchup on the line in this one.
The Autumn Wind is a raider,
Pillaging just for fun.
He'll knock you 'round and upside down,
And laugh when he's conquered and won.

Raiders by 50

Barberton Magics vs Highland Hornets
Growing up I was a big Hornets fan. They were great in NBA JAM with Alonzo and Larry Johnson. Muggsy Bogues was awesome. And how could you not love Larry Johnson's grandmama character. So for me the Hornets are tough to beat. But here you have Shaq and Penny. With the Orlando Magic you have one of the few sports teams that don't end with a S, but Barberton switched it up and threw a S in there to be unique. They also have a sweet mascot. Their magic man has a top hat and a monocle and a cape. Originally I really wanted Barberton to change to the Barbers or the Scissors or the Hairs or something but I got to tell you they do the Magics right!
Magics by 47

A glorious day to play football all across the Midwest. Sun is out, a crispness is in the air...oh wait, we live in Illinois. No matter, for these brief moments, I will close my eyes and think about football being played in Ohio.

Normandy Invaders vs Parma Redmen
The Noman invader riding on a Sherman Tank? Easily a top 5 mascot of all time. All that aside, if you are invading Normandy, your chances of winning are high. The French just don't play defense well. If you don't play defense well, you can't win football games. Ergo...Bet on the Invaders.

Mount Healthy Owls vs Ross Rams
Remember that Tootsie Roll commercial where the owl asks how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? One....Two....Three (as he bites it.) Won't take 3 quarters for the Owls in this one. They get up early and (Tootsie) Roll!

Vermilion Sailors vs Willard Crimson Flashes
Not going to lie, when I read that @Schwab54 had a Sailor Jerry story, I thought he was going in a much different direction. That said, sailors sail on ships. Navies are made up of ships. The United States has the most powerful Navy in the world. Don't bet against America. Sailors in a rout.

University School Preppers vs Gilmour Academy Lancers
Preppers are those folks that stockpile food and weapons in case of the apocalypse, right? Those people are crazy. Never bet against crazy. 3000 rolls of toilet paper and 6 months of canned water for the win!

Mansfield Senior Tygers vs Mt Vernon Yellowjackets
The Tygers of Pang Tang are one of the bands that comprise the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. Unfortunately for them, they weren't nearly as good, or nearly as popular as Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Def Leppard, Saxon, Diamond Head, or Angel Witch. Doesn't matter though, we Still Rock in America, and the Father of our Country lived at Mt. Vernon. Sorry, British you lose again. Take Mt. Vernon and the Continental Army!

Shenandoah Zeps vs Northridge Vikings
Fenger!!

Norwalk Truckers vs Columbian Tornadoes
Was the dark of the moon on the sixth of June
In a Kenworth pullin' logs
Cab-over Pete with a reefer on
And a Jimmy haulin' hogs
We is headin' for bear on I-one-oh
'Bout a mile outta Shaky Town
I says, "Pig Pen, this here's the Rubber Duck
"And I'm about to put the hammer down"'

'Cause we got a little ol' convoy
Rockin' through the night
Yeah, we got a little ol' convoy
Ain't she a beautiful sight?
Come on and join our convoy
Ain't nothin' gonna get in our way
We gonna roll this truckin' convoy
'Cross the USA

Seriously, Columbia? You have no chance against CW McCall and the Truckers rolling Cross the USA! Rubber Duck and Pig Pen get it done!

Ross Little Giants vs St Frances de Sale Knights
When confronted with Little Giants or Full Sized Giants, I'll take my chances with the small ones. Kinghts!

John Glenn Little Muskies vs Tri Valley Scotties
They say that the Muskie is a "fish of 1,000 casts." They are tough to hook, and tougher to reel into the boat. You need some serious gear to go Muskie fishing. But, Little Muskies? You have to throw those back so they can grow up. Scottie DAWGS!

Centerville Elk vs Miamisburg Vikings
On a trip to Yellowstone a few years back, I saw a Grizzly Bear stalk and kill an Elk. Shockingly, it was a hell of a battle. Unfortunately for the Elk, when the bear got away from the antlers, the party was over quickly. Party is over quickly here as well, take the Burg!

Crooksville Ceramics vs Morgan Raiders
My mom owned a ceramic store. I loved going there because it was in this strip mall that had a drug store, a bakery, and an arcade/pizza place. She would give my brother and I money and tell us to go away, which we were happy to do when we could get Slush Puppies, Donuts, and play Defender till our fingers fell off. Sweet memories. No way I'm betting against my youth. Ceramics with the big win!

Barberton Magics vs Highland Hornets
I just had to kill a giant hornet's net in the tree over my driveway. I emptied 2 full cans of that ACE foam hornet killer on that thing, and it didn't work. Had to come back with another can of spray to kill those suckers. I hate hornets. I love magic. Easy pick here. Take the dude in the monocle!

Man have I missed a lot. Couple weeks of a bender at the good ol Hig and I'm behind on the traveling CPL Pick'Em. Ohio you say? Hot Damn, I'm in.

Normandy Invaders v. Parma Football Team
Normandy? Invaders? Does anyone even stand a chance? This team has never lost a game right? As for Parma, I assume they are next on having the mascot replaced. So since they are going to get rolled here I might as well hand them some free advice when the inevitable name change comes. Go with the Chameleons. Who wouldn't love to sing, Parma, Parma, Parma, Parma chameleons... You come and go, you come and go!
Even with my advice Normandy over Culture Club

Mount Healthy Owls v. Ross Rams
Let's see. Owls Give us The Who, that's a clear connection. Don't need to go any further. What a greatest hits collection. The Rams? No connection
Teenage Wasteland for the W.

Vermilion Sailors v. Willard Crimson Flashes
If you don't hear sailor and think about good ol Jimmy Buffet I have no idea why you don't like fun. I love fun, especially getting wasted away in Margaritaville.
Sailors and Son of a Sailor win easy

University School Preppers v. Mt Vernon YellowJackets
Preppers? Poppers? USP would be way better off as a popper. Smoked, Deep Fried, delicious no matter how you have it. Yellowjackets are my new favorite team in college football. You know why? Pressley Harvin III. 6 foot 265 that's awesome and I didn't even mention the triple sticks. Always love a good III.
Give me the Mt. Vernon

Shenandoah Zeps v. Northridge Vikings
Vikings? I know so many schools with boring Viking mascots, you know what's not boring? Kareoke at Sidekicks, nothing beats grabbing a hold of that mic. And when I am rocking that mic, I'm going straight to Shenandoah River, Life is old there, older than the trees. Younger than the mountains, growin' like a breeze...
Country roads, take me home To the place I belong West Virginia, mountain mama
Take me home, country roads
Zeps by a John Denver mile

Norwalk Truckers v. Columbian Torandoes
Drive by Truckers have a song called Tornadoes! It's average at best, just like that Philly Cinci game this past weekend.
A tie it is...

Ross Little Giants v. St. Frances DeSalle Knights
Gladys Knight rolls over the Little Giants as she rides that midnight train to Georgia.

John Glenn Little Muskies v. Tri Valley Scotties
Centerville Elk v. Miamisburg Vikings
Crooksville Ceramics v. Morgan Raiders
Barberton Magics v. Highland Hornets

These last 4 had me run out of music and when that happens there goes the Magic(s) in the air.
Hornets sting, Ceramics Crumble, Elk Stampede, and the Little Muskies grow up big.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT