ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Talk: 2023 Dukane Conference

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Just a place to break down the 2023 Dukane conference race.

Top teams to watch? Sleeper team to watch? Player of the Year in the conference? Game of the Year? Lets talk Dukane conference for 2023 here

Just a place to break down the 2023 Dukane conference race.

Top teams to watch? Sleeper team to watch? Player of the Year in the conference? Game of the Year? Lets talk Dukane conference for 2023 here
Okay, 31 replies to the Catholic Blue thread and zero for the DuKane Conference; I'm starting to feel sorry for those of us living in the western suburbs. So, here are some thoughts.

Prediction for the conference standings
1. Batavia
2. Wheaton North
3. St. Charles North
4. Glenbard North
5. Wheaton-Warrenville South
6. Geneva
7. St. Charles East
8. Lake Park

Batavia, the runner-up in last year's 7A playoffs, appears to have the best chance for making a deep run in this year's playoffs. The DuKane Conference has had a team in the 7A championship game in four of the last five playoffs, winning the title in 2021 and 2017. The conference is strong and deep, and not as easy to predict as some others. The top six teams this year have reasonable aspirations of winning the conference championship. So, yes, that makes Geneva my sleeper team this year.

Coming off a fourth place finish in the conference last year, Geneva lost 27-14 to St. Rita in the first round of the playoffs. They played St. Rita a little bit tighter (at least based on scoring margin) than either Prospect or St. Charles North in the next two rounds. I have no special insight about players transferring in or out, but if last year's underclassmen return the Vikings will have several good skill position players returning. Troy Velez should be, as a junior, the team's top running back. He ran for 632 yards and 8 touchdowns last fall. Talyn Taylor should be a junior wide receiver this year. Last autumn he caught 45 passes for 660 yards and 8 touchdowns. Lastly, quarterback Nate Stempowski will be my preseason pick for Conference Player of the Year. It is an unconventional pick, but last year he threw for 1,332 yards with 17 touchdowns and only 5 interceptions. He should be even better in his senior season. [It should be mentioned that the statistics are only as accurate as what MaxPreps displays.]

That brings me to the game of the year... and another unconventional selection. The game will be Geneva versus Lemont in week two of the season. This game should go a long way towards indicating whether Geneva will in fact be a threat in the conference, or more likely headed towards a 5th or 6th place finish that will keep them out of the playoffs.

Okay, 31 replies to the Catholic Blue thread and zero for the DuKane Conference; I'm starting to feel sorry for those of us living in the western suburbs. So, here are some thoughts.

1. Batavia
2. Wheaton North
3. St. Charles North
4. Glenbard North
6. Geneva
7. St. Charles East
8. Lake Park

Batavia, the runner-up in last year's 7A playoffs, appears to have the best chance for making a deep run in this year's playoffs. The DuKane Conference has had a team in the 7A championship game in four of the last five playoffs, winning the title in 2021 and 2017. The conference is strong and deep, and not as easy to predict as some others. The top six teams this year have reasonable aspirations of winning the conference championship. So, yes, that makes Geneva my sleeper team this year.

Coming off a fourth place finish in the conference last year, Geneva lost 27-14 to St. Rita in the first round of the playoffs. They played St. Rita a little bit tighter (at least based on scoring margin) than either Prospect or St. Charles North in the next two rounds. I have no special insight about players transferring in or out, but if last year's underclassmen return the Vikings will have several good skill position players returning. Troy Velez should be, as a junior, the team's top running back. He ran for 632 yards and 8 touchdowns last fall. Talyn Taylor should be a junior wide receiver this year. Last autumn he caught 45 passes for 660 yards and 8 touchdowns. Lastly, quarterback Nate Stempowski will be my preseason pick for Conference Player of the Year. It is an unconventional pick, but last year he threw for 1,332 yards with 17 touchdowns and only 5 interceptions. He should be even better in his senior season. [It should be mentioned that the statistics are only as accurate as what MaxPreps displays.]

That brings me to the game of the year... and another unconventional selection. The game will be Geneva versus Lemont in week two of the season. This game should go a long way towards indicating whether Geneva will in fact be a threat in the conference, or more likely headed towards a 5th or 6th place finish that will keep them out of the playoffs.
@Alexander32 That Batavia vs LW East game should be a better matchup this year I take it? Hey I'm here for you. This is a tough conference as well

Reactions: Alexander32

1. Batavia
2. Wheaton North
3. St. Charles North
4. Glenbard North
6. Geneva
7. St. Charles East
8. Lake Park

I like your breakdown but I am not as high in Wheaton South since the coaching change. Just not there yet in my opinion. I also think Geneva finishes higher and love your pick for player of the year. I should add, however, that the 2017 State Championship was not a part of the DuKane conference. Just my two cents.

1. Batavia
2. Wheaton North
3. St. Charles North
4. Glenbard North
6. Geneva
7. St. Charles East
8. Lake Park

I thought Geneva would be rated higher, no? Last two years, I felt it took all four quarters for a talented Rita team to defeat them, and I thought they were young.

Can’t feel sorry for us Western Suburb football fans. May not get the glitz and glamor as CCL blue, but I am so excited for another year of HS football.

I agree with Alexander assessment of Geneva being a team to watch, and the Lemont - Geneva game is a game I’ll plan on watching live.

1. Batavia - Sr QB and they are always in top 2-3.
2. Wheaton North - proven it last 2 seasons,
3. Geneva - I’ll buy into the excitement and hype.
4. St. Charles North
5. WWS - Just feel like the history of this program will not keep them down for long.
6. Glenbard North - tough program, just in a tougher conference.
7. St. Charles East - seemed to make some progress last year.
8. Lake Park

Out of curiosity when was the last time Geneva beat Batavia? Or had some kind of winning streak in the series?
When Batavia was featured on high-school lites while back, kids made it sound like Batavia dominated them.

2010 was the last year Geneva beat Batavia. Geneva still leads the all-time series but it's getting close again.

Will St. Charles North beat Palatine?

Pirates return a ton and the sophomore class has lost once in two years.

Conference defensive POY Filip Rolek and Jaylen Williams both back to anchor the DL. Dom Ball back on offense.

IMO it’ll be a really good game but I think the Pirates have too much for firepower.

Reactions: ChiTown Chuggers

Conference defensive POY Filip Rolek and Jaylen Williams both back to anchor the DL. Dom Ball back on offense.

IMO it’ll be a really good game but I think the Pirates have too much for firepower.
Is this game in Palatine or STC? Sounds like it will be close, maybe home team has advantage.

Is this game in Palatine or STC? Sounds like it will be close, maybe home team has advantage.
I expect Palatine to make a deep run in 8A this season. Nice veteran ball club with some youngsters. I’d expect them to beat St Charles North as well

Reactions: Irishfan90

Hard to predict week 1. Especially with the Pirates it seems, unfortunately.

Fremd really put the pressure on 7A semifinalist Lake Zurich last year only to go 1-8 and have one of the worst score differentials in the state.

Talyn Taylor of Geneva will most likely be Conference Player of the Year. He's got 19 offers including MI, Bama, and Georgia. As a WR, not sure who will be throwing to him, but he's also a returner.

Predictions for 2023:
1) Batavia-they are the front runners, no ands, ifs or buts.
2) Wheaton North-along with Batavia this is the 1-2 punch for this conference. Both are teams to be reckoned with in the 7A classification.
3) St Charles North-having a nice run the last 3-4 years. Can they keep it up?
4) Geneva- A lot of HYPE. That's scary because too much of it can turn into a 4-5 season.
5) Glenbard North-has the success run out on this program? Looking up above they might be relegated to 4th thru 7th place over the next few years.
6) WWS- Thorne, long gone, Muhitch, gone before he was gone, new guy, not even close to those other guys. Welcome to 3-6 purgatory!
7) St Charles East-they've had a few different coaches over the past 5 years. No continuity for this program.
8) Lake Park- No bueno boys.

Conference POY-Ryan Boe Batavia

Last edited:
Reactions: dapiech
So far only three people have listed their predictions on the conference standings. They all agree on the top two and the bottom two;
1. Batavia
2. Wheaton North
7. St Charles East
8. Lake Park
Granted I am a "homer," but there is no way Lake Park will finish the season in last place.
I understand that people will look at the recent past and see records of 0 - 4 in Spring Covid season, 1 - 8 in both 2021 and 2022. (Those two wins were against SCE, 24 - 0 last year and 21 - 14 in 2021.)
LP finally has stability with their head coach who enters his second year and about 11 starters back. Most of those returning starters are lineman, a nice set of linebackers, two wide receivers and their QB back.

Lake Park also hired a new DC who has helped rebuild many programs. He was the DC at Elk Grove last year and has been a DC at many places. This hire will help Lake Park a ton.

Reactions: Anomalyout28
I think STN wins then, but agree that Palatine looks like a powerhouse. Game could go either way I think.
Just an FYI. Last two years JV games(which I know isn't always a true harbinger but best we got) were 33-7(2021) and 33-6(2022) for Palatine- and that's with 5 sophs on varsity in 2021 and 8 sophs on varsity in 2022. Now SCN didn't have Plumb on those teams, but neither did Palatine have Dom Ball, Jaylen Williams, Parker Brault, Trey Widlowski, Deavion Farrow, etc.

Last edited:
Predictions for 2023:
2) Wheaton North-along with Batavia this is the 1-2 punch for this conference. Both are teams to be reckoned with in the 7A classification
3) St Charles North-having a nice 3-4 run recently. Can they keep it up?
4) Geneva- A lot of HYPE. That's scary because too much of it can turn into a 4-5 season.
5) Glenbard North-has the success run out on this program? Looking up above they might be relegated to 4th thru 7th place over the next few years.
6) WWS- Thorne, long gone, Muhitch, gone before he was gone, new guy, not even close to those other guys. Welcome to 3-6 purgatory!
7) St Charles East-they've had a few different coaches over the past 5 years. No continuity for this program.

WWS is a dark horse this year. With Luca Carbonaro at QB, Matt Crider at RB (an absolute beast), a very capable receiving core, and quick Defense, I'm taking the over on the 3 wins and predict they'll sneak into the playoffs. Their challenge may become scheduling really tough non-conference opponents in Simeon and LT.

My thoughts -- not as eloquent as the rest. I think anyone from 3-7 can beat each other.

1. Batavia-- Number 1 until they lose; I actually think the gap is greater this year than it has been the past few years
2. Wheaton North -- going in the right direction, just lack enough difference makers to contend for a division or state title
3. Geneva -- I don't believe the hype and likely think they probably go 4-3 in conference, but I think they beat SCN just based on coaching
4. SCN -- see #3. Probably the 2nd most talented team in the conference, but just can't put it together and too many penalties and unforced errors always catches up
5. Glenbard North -- can see them beat or losing to anyone outside of top 2.
6. SCE -- Definitely going in the right direction and I almost put them #5. A really good crop of sophomores and think they go to playoffs next year. Dom Micaletti is the best player in the west burbs that no-one know about. Expect him to rush for close to 1000 yards
7. WWS-- strong in the skill positions but really weak on the lines on both sides of the ball.
8. LP -- I really like the coach and a decent senior class but junior and sophomore classes don't have standoffs. I think they get a win, just not sure against who

I think WWS finishes ahead of GN. Didn't see much at the lower levels last year at GN and they lost a real gamer at QB to graduation.

Predictions for 2023:
2) Wheaton North-along with Batavia this is the 1-2 punch for this conference. Both are teams to be reckoned with in the 7A classification.
3) St Charles North-having a nice run the last 3-4 years. Can they keep it up?

Not to be a hater on a HS kid but seeing Batavia play a few times last year I thought their Offense was very bland and the QB didn’t do a whole lot. I realize hes committed to NDSU and is a three year starter but I’d take the WR from Geneva as POY seven days a week.

My thoughts -- not as eloquent as the rest. I think anyone from 3-7 can beat each other.

1. Batavia-- Number 1 until they lose; I actually think the gap is greater this year than it has been the past few years
2. Wheaton North -- going in the right direction, just lack enough difference makers to contend for a division or state title
3. Geneva -- I don't believe the hype and likely think they probably go 4-3 in conference, but I think they beat SCN just based on coaching
4. SCN -- see #3. Probably the 2nd most talented team in the conference, but just can't put it together and too many penalties and unforced errors always catches up
6. SCE -- Definitely going in the right direction and I almost put them #5. A really good crop of sophomores and think they go to playoffs next year. Dom Micaletti is the best player in the west burbs that no-one know about. Expect him to rush for close to 1000 yards
7. WWS-- strong in the skill positions but really weak on the lines on both sides of the ball.
8. LP -- I really like the coach and a decent senior class but junior and sophomore classes don't have standoffs. I think they get a win, just not sure against who

I hope WWS puts this on their bulletin board.

SCN…. Agreed. All I have to say is 3rd and 5…(referencing St Rita Playoff Game). Their HC is all about himself. He will mess it up as usual. Such a shame for some really good kids. There’s no way they make the playoffs with him at the helm and without the best player in the state.

SCN…. Agreed. All I have to say is 3rd and 5…(referencing St Rita Playoff Game). Their HC is all about himself. He will mess it up as usual. Such a shame for some really good kids. There’s no way they make the playoffs with him at the helm and without the best player in the state.

Who is the best player in the state they are without?

Let's just name the kid with the best offers the POY. Or we can see what happens on the field this year.

SCN coach costing his team wins? They've done a pretty good job of beating solid teams the last 4-5 years. He didn't partake in those victories?

WWS-PROVE IT, dapiech!

As always, this conference will be interesting each and every week.

Good luck!

• Haha
Reactions: dapiech
FYI, I'm sure you all know this, but the best place I've found to get up-to-date scores from the DKC (and any other team/conference) is from the Scorestream app. Its not perfect, but better than having to monitor Twitter/X. You'll want to select "My teams" and those teams will always show at the top of the featured games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT