ADVERTISEMENT

Conference non-conference records

West Suburban Gold - 1-6. Addison Trail the only winner.

West Suburban Silver - 3-4. York, DGN and GW with the wins over CSL, CCL. Losses to DVC, CCL, SSB, MSL.
I take back my previous comment to you about the conference record this week. I hope it works out to be what most of us expect it to be. I do think York and GW are still at the top, and there is a gap before the next set of teams.

• Wow
Reactions: Cross Bones
SouthWest Sub Red: 5-0
SouthWest Sub Blue: 3-2
The Red wins were all against teams that did not finish the '22 season above the .500 mark. Looking ahead to Week 2, no one is playing anyone who won more than 4 games last year either, although Andrew has Oswego, the latter having the best chance for a big turn-around? You see, the Red teams have gradually softened their 2 opening non-cons after a recent span of 3 required cross-overs with Blue teams, where they lost on the average 80+ percent of the time by 3+ TD margins. By the way, I heard that H-F was looking for an exit strategy from the SWSC like the 'Brook is doing next season. H-F is geographically much farther than most conferences with their kind of enrollment (2750), but I would imagine they would like the Southland Conference. R-B leaves next year, you know, after their 1-season layover. Anyone else hear something about any of this?

Reactions: NNFAN
The Red wins were all against teams that did not finish the '22 season above the .500 mark. Looking ahead to Week 2, no one is playing anyone who won more than 4 games last year either, although Andrew has Oswego, the latter having the best chance for a big turn-around? You see, the Red teams have gradually softened their 2 opening non-cons after a recent span of 3 required cross-overs with Blue teams, where they lost on the average 80+ percent of the time by 3+ TD margins. By the way, I heard that H-F was looking for an exit strategy from the SWSC like the 'Brook is doing next season. H-F is geographically much farther than most conferences with their kind of enrollment (2750), but I would imagine they would like the Southland Conference. R-B leaves next year, you know, after their 1-season layover. Anyone else hear something about any of this?
No way this happens.
HF offers too many "other sports" that the Southland does not and would be a nightmare for them.
This is one of the reasons the old SICA disbanded.
Schools were not offering the same athletic programs

Reactions: mc140
Can they join an Indiana conference? Once at HF I tripped over a rock in the parking lot and fell, dropping my Snickers and got a littering ticket in Indiana.

No way this happens.
HF offers too many "other sports" that the Southland does not and would be a nightmare for them.
This is one of the reasons the old SICA disbanded.
Schools were not offering the same athletic programs
In many "other sports," does it REALLY matter if other teams in the conference do not participate in a sport or at a relatively lower level? Take an individual/team sport like girls' tennis at H-F, for example. Is missing a conference dual meet on a weeknight really such a huge deal? A nearby team can be scheduled to get a substitute meet for the week and in many of these sports, the big weekend meets is where the best competition can be had anyway. If the team scheduled is weak, move the JV up and open up some spots for other players who might not get a chance to compete otherwise. I think you might find that overdoing/doing weeknight contests may not be favored by coaches, parents and athletes. Too many late nights for these groups plus the time could be better spent on practices (even shortened)

In many "other sports," does it REALLY matter if other teams in the conference do not participate in a sport or at a relatively lower level? Take an individual/team sport like girls' tennis at H-F, for example. Is missing a conference dual meet on a weeknight really such a huge deal? A nearby team can be scheduled to get a substitute meet for the week and in many of these sports, the big weekend meets is where the best competition can be had anyway. If the team scheduled is weak, move the JV up and open up some spots for other players who might not get a chance to compete otherwise. I think you might find that overdoing/doing weeknight contests may not be favored by coaches, parents and athletes. Too many late nights for these groups plus the time could be better spent on practices (even shortened)
You must not be an AD.
Is missing a conference dual meet on a weeknight really such a huge deal?
Missing a conference dual meet? Try 5-6 duel meets? SWSC = 10 teams for Girls Tennis, Southland maybe has 4.

A nearby team can be scheduled to get a substitute meet for the week and in many of these sports,
Uh, those same nearby teams IS the SWSC and they will be booked with their own conference meets.

If the team scheduled is weak, move the JV up and open up some spots for other players who might not get a chance to compete otherwise.
Now you taking away from varsity athletes' opportunities to be challenged by competition

I think you might find that overdoing/doing weeknight contests may not be favored by coaches, parents and athletes. Too many late nights for these groups plus the time could be better spent on practices (even shortened)

Now you don't want any matches/meets because of late nights? now you really stretching your agenda to get HF to the Southland

Reactions: johnndoe
Mr. Mullin17: I am not an AD, but was a head coach for 10 years in one of the "other sports" and an asst. for 25 seasons in another major team sport. Anyway, legitimate counterpoints on your part. However, of the 10 girls tennis teams in SWSC, I believe only the 4 others in your division are required duals where the cross-overs may be optional. Also that lower number would allow an H-F to be scheduled by a SWSC team. Moving out for a weeknight dual the #1 and/or #2 singles or doubles team from the line-up would not be such a hardship particularly with the likelihood of 1 or 2 other meets during the week along with a big Saturday invitational. Finally, I will stand behind opposition to scheduling 3 weekday meets during Mon - Thurs for any sport as a parent and former coach.

Last edited:
CCL overall 17-8
  • Blue 4-0
  • Green 3-1
  • Orange 2-2
  • White 4-0
  • Purple 1-4 ( two of the losses were to other CCL teams)
  • Red 3-1

After two weeks

SouthWest Sub Red: 9-1
SouthWest Sub Blue: 8-2

Blue and Andrew has the DVC next week so it should be interesting.

Not certain of the win loss but I’m fairly certain the only losses in the CCL outside the conference were York/Naz and Marian/HF.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT