ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Mismatches.......

mullin17

Jul 2, 2001
Now that it is conference season, and the ESCC-Catholic League has figured out it's parity issues.

Is there any greater misplaced football team in their football conference than Stagg HS?
I won't believe Districts (Not that their district will help at all)until I see them.

Now that it is conference season, and the ESCC-Catholic League has figured out it's parity issues.

Is there any greater misplaced football team in their football conference than Stagg HS?
I won't believe Districts (Not that their district will help at all)until I see them.

Riverside Brookfield.

Joliet Central should be in the Southland conference.

Reactions: mullin17
While I think the CCL/ESCC did an overall solid job grouping the schools, a lot of their cross divisional games are terrible. Loyola against Marian Central? Mount Carmel against St. Viator? Providence against DePaul? Montini against Joe's? There are more, but games like this are bad for the development of teams that are rebuilding/smaller and they are bad for the bigger programs in that they aren't accomplishing anything other than a glorified bye week. I am not against teams getting blown out as humiliation is apart of life, but no purpose is served watching an 8A championship caliber team with a roster of 90+ absolutely pummel a 4A or smaller school that has 60 total kids between 2 levels.

Also, often times, the freshman may not get a game because the smaller schools may not have a frosh team. Blue, Green and Orange should crossover with each other and White, Purple, and Red should cross over.

Reactions: Gene K.
Riverside Brookfield.

Joliet Central should be in the Southland conference.
Central won 3 games last season, not that I disagree with you. But they've been improving. Romeoville should be in the Southland though.

I didn't realize this until today and I think this didn't change until yesterday, but the ihsa shows there being divisions in the SWSC again.

Blue: LWE, HF, Brook, Lockport, and Sandburg
Red: Andy, LWW, LWC, Brad, and Stagg

While I think the CCL/ESCC did an overall solid job grouping the schools, a lot of their cross divisional games are terrible. Loyola against Marian Central? Mount Carmel against St. Viator? Providence against DePaul? Montini against Joe's? There are more, but games like this are bad for the development of teams that are rebuilding/smaller and they are bad for the bigger programs in that they aren't accomplishing anything other than a glorified bye week. I am not against teams getting blown out as humiliation is apart of life, but no purpose is served watching an 8A championship caliber team with a roster of 90+ absolutely pummel a 4A or smaller school that has 60 total kids between 2 levels.

Also, often times, the freshman may not get a game because the smaller schools may not have a frosh team. Blue, Green and Orange should crossover with each other and White, Purple, and Red should cross over.

The thing the realignment does is keep the really small schools away from the 7A and 8A schools. Montini and Providence are good programs but they are smaller and as such will have the ability to not have kids go both ways and use all their players.

St Viator should be able to compete with MC, similar to CoM and Rice.

Here is how I would have liked to have seen the CCL/ESCC break down for this year into 6 team divisions with just 2 crossover games needed.

Blue: Loyola, MC, Rita, Rice, Marist, Naz
White: JC, Montini, PC, Benet, Fenwick, ND
Green: Carmel, Viator, Laurence, DLS, MCC, Pat’s
Red: Marian, Leo, Ignatius, DePaul, Marmion, St. Joe’s

I can see switching Rita and ND. Or maybe Laurence and Fenwick. And Marmion was just the last one left and had to go with the bottom 5.

I just like this because then you could just do crossovers that avoid the worst mismatches.

Reactions: Gene K. and USD24
The one that still frost me a bit out here is the SW Prairie West and East...look at the crossover records so far and you'll get an idea of where I'm coming from...some very good West team won't make the playoffs because of this deal....and if I'm that team I'd be pretty pissed...
Agreed. Hoping the two last place teams in the good division both find a way to one division win and sweep their four crossovers. That’s the only way all those schools can get in and it is pretty unlikely.

The one that still frost me a bit out here is the SW Prairie West and East...look at the crossover records so far and you'll get an idea of where I'm coming from...some very good West team won't make the playoffs because of this deal....and if I'm that team I'd be pretty pissed...
Edgy, explain how a "very good West" team wont make the playoffs? If in crossover you cant win 3 games then win 2-3 in conference games are you a "very good team"? Lets say it was one big conference, that "very good team" would still have to win at least 2-3 of their conference game vs a west team and if the SWP allowed to go out of conference would you schedule teams worse then the bottom of the EAST? At the end of the day only 1 west team is in trouble right now.

Joliet West is going to win the East, highly underrated IMO.

Reactions: DNHTWINS
I'd be thrilled if Joliet Central and Romeoville were moved from the conference.

Romeoville has the kids in the building They just refuse to play football right now. It is nowhere near the same as Joliet Central.

Edgy, explain how a "very good West" team wont make the playoffs? If in crossover you cant win 3 games then win 2-3 in conference games are you a "very good team"? Lets say it was one big conference, that "very good team" would still have to win at least 2-3 of their conference game vs a west team and if the SWP allowed to go out of conference would you schedule teams worse then the bottom of the EAST? At the end of the day only 1 west team is in trouble right now.
Oswego would schedule the best non-conference teams they could.

Romeoville has the kids in the building They just refuse to play football right now. It is nowhere near the same as Joliet Central.
it is on the field, but I hear you. Joliet Central has 3000 plus and can't field a freshman team.

have watched both of their games and yes better then 0-2, have to win 1 of the next 2 though, can see JW, Pl East and Pl South splitting between the 3.
I watched the film of their first game and was at the 2nd game. They were a completely different team against OHS. I also think that game is what OHS needed. (JW beat both the sophs and freshman giving OHS their first losses at any level in the regular season in 2 years). If OE takes JW lightly, they will lose, however, I believe it's at OE on grass, which may slow down Howlund (he's a beast). JW will beat Yorkville and run the table.

After MC playing Maine South, Montini, Loyola, Marist and Rice I have no problem with them playing St. Viator one week. We fought 5 bad ass guys, we don’t have to prove our toughness to anyone.

After MC playing Maine South, Montini, Loyola, Marist and Rice I have no problem with them playing St. Viator one week. We fought 5 bad ass guys, we don’t have to prove our toughness to anyone.
I always thought it was an honor to play MC. We (LA) were usually on the losing end in the 90’s (7-6 in ‘93 and 14-13 ‘94), but I can remember feeling a sense of pride playing arguably the best high school football program in the state over the past 100 years. It always felt bigger than any other game. It’s something the Viator players will remember and probably talk about for the rest of their lives. Maybe I’m wrong.

I watched the film of their first game and was at the 2nd game. They were a completely different team against OHS. I also think that game is what OHS needed. (JW beat both the sophs and freshman giving OHS their first losses at any level in the regular season in 2 years). If OE takes JW lightly, they will lose, however, I believe it's at OE on grass, which may slow down Howlund (he's a beast). JW will beat Yorkville and run the table.

I don't see this happening. I think West has a better shot of going 2-7 than 7-2. My guess is they finish 3-6 or 4-5. It is nice to see the lower levels compete. I went to both frosh games and they have a decent group.

You may have been watching to much JW, OE has their best O-line ever with most accurate QB ever with all the usual athletes. OE will be going for third running clock on the year. OHS is in a down year, Minooka is the beast of this conference.

Reactions: jimsavio and USD24
I don't see this happening. I think West has a better shot of going 2-7 than 7-2. My guess is they finish 3-6 or 4-5. It is nice to see the lower levels compete. I went to both frosh games and they have a decent group.
They potentially can if they keep everyone healthy and eligible. Those things have been a big problem in the past.

Enrollment numbers at Stagg, Sandburg and Andrew are being gradually replaced in greater percentages by a certain demographic. Football is not in the cultural DNA of this group to the degree it exists in the students being replaced. This change began at Stagg many years ago and is moving in the SW direction throughout the D230 attendance areas. Many homes, formerly owned, have been turned into rental properties which contribute to some of this demographic changeover.

Reactions: WIU78
Enrollment numbers at Stagg, Sandburg and Andrew are being gradually replaced in greater percentages by a certain demographic. Football is not in the cultural DNA of this group to the degree it exists in the students being replaced. This change began at Stagg many years ago and is moving in the SW direction throughout the D230 attendance areas. Many homes, formerly owned, have been turned into rental properties which contribute to some of this demographic changeover.
23 years ago we beat Stagg 48-0. Was that also due to this demographic without the football DNA in their culture who is there now, but wasn't previously?

Here is how I would have liked to have seen the CCL/ESCC break down for this year into 6 team divisions with just 2 crossover games needed.

Blue: Loyola, MC, Rita, Rice, Marist, Naz
White: JC, Montini, PC, Benet, Fenwick, ND
Green: Carmel, Viator, Laurence, DLS, MCC, Pat’s
Red: Marian, Leo, Ignatius, DePaul, Marmion, St. Joe’s

I can see switching Rita and ND. Or maybe Laurence and Fenwick. And Marmion was just the last one left and had to go with the bottom 5.

I just like this because then you could just do crossovers that avoid the worst mismatches.

6 team divisions obviously make sense, but 4 team divisions do also. 5 losses in any team = no playoffs. In a 4 team division if you get 3 losses there is still a chance to make playoffs if two non conference wins + three crossover wins. This may have been the thought process. Teams will be battled tested for a run in their respective classes. I like the 4 team setup

Reactions: HRCJR
Seems like semantics to me. Perhaps “very good” is debatable. But there is little doubt that the 6 teams in the west would all either win the east or at least be in contention to win the east. Anyone from the east would automatically be in the bottom few in the west.

West aurora probably the worst of the west.plainfield south the best of the east. Plainfield east and west aurora probably about even based in their two point game. If you switched Plainfield south and west aurora you could accurately label the divisions A and B. Just doesn’t make any sense how they did these divisions.

Last edited:
You may have been watching to much JW, OE has their best O-line ever with most accurate QB ever with all the usual athletes. OE will be going for third running clock on the year. OHS is in a down year, Minooka is the beast of this conference.
Minooka is without a doubt the team to beat, I wouldn't say OHS is down either. JW is much improved and Howlund is going to be a kid to watch. He's big 6'3", 225, shifty and fast. Made the OHS dline (which is likely the best in the conference) work all night. I will say OHS is young, but that Jr. Class is nothing to scoff at.

USD...how did the JC Frosh do against Thornwood?

23 years ago we beat Stagg 48-0. Was that also due to this demographic without the football DNA in their culture who is there now, but wasn't previously?
Bones history is not the same at all if you visit the AA Stagg campus. Different , but still not a football school and it is more a cultural issue today compared with “our days “. Take a drive east my friend.

Said before the season that every team in the West could win the East....and while West Aurora has changed that thought I've also heard from opposing coaches that the Blackhawks could win the East if they could stop self imploding...but they haven't yet so...

Reactions: DNHTWINS
Said before the season that every team in the West could win the East....and while West Aurora has changed that thought I've also heard from opposing coaches that the Blackhawks could win the East if they could stop self imploding...but they haven't yet so...

The SPC basically constructed the divisions based off who's good NOW. Who knows which schools will utilize their talent pool years down the road. Every school has good talent besides Plainfield Central and maybe Joliet Central. Plainfield East is the school that could really turn things around with their talent pool.

Bones history is not the same at all if you visit the AA Stagg campus. Different , but still not a football school and it is more a cultural issue today compared with “our days “. Take a drive east my friend.
Demographics changing or not Stagg hasn't been good in football outside of one season in my memory so to blame it on demographics is a bit of a stretch. What was the excuse in the 90's?

Demographics changing or not Stagg hasn't been good in football outside of one season in my memory so to blame it on demographics is a bit of a stretch. What was the excuse in the 90's?
"They" used to be a key cog of a lot of Bogan and OLCH teams in the 1990s especially if there were some wrestlers in the mix. It might be a confluence of factors - interest in other sports and concern about the noggin like in north suburbs, as much as semi-rebelliousness spawned of reactions exactly 18 years ago today.

Stagg is just not a football school from AD to turnover of head coaches to great players transferring out...not a football environment. The Nebraska QB being the exception. When AAStagg first opened they got clobbered by Rich Central in football like 96-6? And that was before Edgy and Maine Southing was a phrase. Sandburg ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT