ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Prime

I don't think it "outrageous" that in my opinion Walter Payton is a class above Sanders. Certainly not an abrasive personality as some feel about Sanders. Different type player positions and personalities. Running backs take a lot more physical punishment than defensive backs. Walter took those hits and gave them back sometimes. Payton has consistently been rated as the top running back of all time by many NFL players and sports commentators. No slight to Sanders, but if I were a coach in the NFL and had a choice between the two it would certainly be Walter.
Agree 100%

I can't stand him. He's a me-guy and a hotdog. Compare him to another product of Jackson State, Walter Payton, who was known as "Sweetness" because of his demeanor and disposition. His ego was subordinate to his talent.
I love both of them. Also maybe he was called “Sweetness “ because of his extra marital affairs.

I am not an anti-Sanders type, but your saying my opinion about Walter vs Sanders was "outrageous" is your opinion and got under my skin. Who would YOU take first Payton or Sanders if you had to choose as a NFL coach. What about the other posters on edgy chiming in. Who would you all pick first? Walter Payton or Deon Sanders?

I am not an anti-Sanders type, but your saying my opinion about Walter vs Sanders was "outrageous" is your opinion and got under my skin. Who would YOU take first Payton or Sanders if you had to choose as a NFL coach. What about the other posters on edgy chiming in. Who would you all pick first? Walter Payton or Deon Sanders?
Payton and it’s not even close. Sanders was good but I don’t care for his all about me personality. MO

I like them both. But if I'm building a team I'd take Walter to be the foundation of my offense for his 13 years.

Reactions: Gene K.
I much prefer the high step over the dirty bird, LOL. If I were building a team I would prefer the walk the walk over the talk the talk. Now that being said, I think Deion walked the walk too. I'm in the camp of less said is better. Play on the field should speak for itself. Great debate!

Reactions: Gene K. and corey90
For me, I am taking Payton for sure. It was like I said in my earlier post. I think he was the best all around player of all time. And we have to remember, he wasn't running behind the best OL early in his career. I do believe Payton could have been a DB if he chose to. But, I shudder at the thought of Sanders trying to be a RB. No way in hell Sanders could have taken the pounding Payton took over 13 years while only missing one game. End of story.

Payton over Deion really wasnt my objection.

Payton and it’s not even close. Sanders was good but I don’t care for his all about me personality. MO
None of this conversation is legit because WP played for the Bears and most Bears fans will choose WP. I am not a Bears fan and no matter what DS off the field personality was, his impact (shut down corner) is and was much greater for any given team. I love WP and bought his Roos back in the day however, there isn't a RB in the league that can't be duplicated in production. There has yet to be another "shut down" corner like DS was.

For me, I am taking Payton for sure. It was like I said in my earlier post. I think he was the best all around player of all time. And we have to remember, he wasn't running behind the best OL early in his career. I do believe Payton could have been a DB if he chose to. But, I shudder at the thought of Sanders trying to be a RB. No way in hell Sanders could have taken the pounding Payton took over 13 years while only missing one game. End of story.
How do you know this? How can you make a totally far fetch claim on what a persons body can take? This is totally reaching. I'm sure most if not all Chicago fans will take WP but please keep it to facts. LOL. There is nothing that say WP can back pedal and cover. If it were that easy, anybody can do it.

None of this conversation is legit because WP played for the Bears and most Bears fans will choose WP. I am not a Bears fan and no matter what DS off the field personality was, his impact (shut down corner) is and was much greater for any given team. I love WP and bought his Roos back in the day however, there isn't a RB in the league that can't be duplicated in production. There has yet to be another "shut down" corner like DS was.
You can make a legit argument Deion wasn’t even the best corner in the league while he played so there’s that working against him.

Both are amongst the best to ever play, they just went about things a different way. Obviously, Deion rubbed some people the wrong way with his personality, but saying he makes it all about him after all he has done for his players the last few years is just a really bad take.

Reactions: jha618 and Gene K.
I usually agree with Gene 90+% of the time and I certainly would not characterize his opinion as outrageous. Nonetheless, I would pick Deion Sanders first. Subsequent to the 1970s the NFL quickly evolved into a passing league. Cornerbacks today, and for quite some time now, are simply more valuable than running backs. A top cornerback correlates to winning percentage and championships much more than a top running back. That is why so few running backs are taken in the first round of a draft these days, let alone the top ten picks of a draft. A shut-down cornerback provides tremendous flexibility to a defensive coordinator in how he structures the remainder of the defense for a particular game.

Reactions: RockSoup
How do you know this? How can you make a totally far fetch claim on what a persons body can take? This is totally reaching. I'm sure most if not all Chicago fans will take WP but please keep it to facts. LOL. There is nothing that say WP can back pedal and cover. If it were that easy, anybody can do it.
No one can say whether Payton would have been an All Pro at CB. I think Payton was gifted and was very versatile and probably could have played that position better than Sanders at RB. Sanders was a good cover CB but not very physical. That is why I think he couldn't have taken the pounding Payton did. Payton was much more physical. That is inarguable. And there is no reach unless it's in your mind.

No one can say whether Payton would have been an All Pro at CB. I think Payton was gifted and was very versatile and probably could have played that position better than Sanders at RB. Sanders was a good cover CB but not very physical. That is why I think he couldn't have taken the pounding Payton did. Payton was much more physical. That is inarguable. And there is no reach unless it's in your mind.
He played two professional sports at a high level and has elite speed. It is what it is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT