ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Prime

My thoughts are- I think it's exciting. I think he is a good coach. I think he is a great recruiter.

I don't like how it will impact transfer portal (not his fault, NCAA needs to get a hold on it). Him telling the Colorado team to start looking to transfer because he's bringing his guys seems...just off to me.

I think two things can be true- he can be a good coach/motivator/recruiter, help the school...and also make it all about him. Very interested to see how it plays out for him.

My thoughts are- I think it's exciting. I think he is a good coach. I think he is a great recruiter.

I don't like how it will impact transfer portal (not his fault, NCAA needs to get a hold on it). Him telling the Colorado team to start looking to transfer because he's bringing his guys seems...just off to me.

I think two things can be true- he can be a good coach/motivator/recruiter, help the school...and also make it all about him. Very interested to see how it plays out for him.
That's pretty common with a new coach coming in (especially taking over a team that went 1-11).

Nothing about his time as JSU made me think he wouldn't be successful elsewhere.

I respect his honesty and I would assume most coaches do the same.
I think he will have them competing for the playoffs in a few years. He will get the transfers to compete right away and will recruit to sustain it, IMO.

His first speech to the team was very interesting. Well worth the watch.

I think it is important for him to take a long hard look at the players he is bringing with him as well as the current CU roster. All will be competing on a much higher level. Unless he feels that JSU would be much better than 1-11 playing CU schedule, calling those kids Louis might be a stretch.

I think it is important for him to take a long hard look at the players he is bringing with him as well as the current CU roster. All will be competing on a much higher level. Unless he feels that JSU would be much better than 1-11 playing CU schedule, calling those kids Louis might be a stretch.
With the transfer portal he could fill every roster spot but telling players to leave before you can evaluate them probably isn’t a good move. The real issue he is going to have is they won’t have a back up QB, he announced his kid as the starter so I would bet every QB leaves and no one is willing to transfer there.

With the transfer portal he could fill every roster spot but telling players to leave before you can evaluate them probably isn’t a good move. The real issue he is going to have is they won’t have a back up QB, he announced his kid as the starter so I would bet every QB leaves and no one is willing to transfer there.
He got transfer qbs from ohio state, temple and north texas to come to jsu. The majority of the time qbs are recruited knowing it may be a year or two before the starting job is theres.

Reactions: Snetsrak61
Wow he just got a head coach of a MAC team to become his OC. Not sure if I have ever seen someone make a move like that. Deion can really recruit
Dan Enos to Arkansas in 2015 and Jason Candle last year before he backed out of going to Miami. When you have guys getting paid $500k and you offer them $850k and up it’s not that hard to get them to jump ship.

It’s different when he names his son the starter before he even gets there. Any QB worth a damn wouldn’t go there.
Before he gets where? 90% of the hs qbs getting recruited right now know they arent going to be the starter (regardless of who that starter is) i dont see how this is any different.

And it's not like these qbs are signing up to play behind some bum. Shedeur is a legit qb.

He will turn the program around, but at what expense? If he dismisses tons of players off the current squad, then what is to say he wouldn't do that to others that transfer there. That'll be lost in the hype and press. And here's the thing, say this is all BS...... Why film it? If you mean it, say it in private meeting and stand by it. Seems a little bit made for TV for me....... I've said this about local club sports, much more respect to those coaches that demonstrate loyalty and mold young people than those that take only top talent and cut those that need to be taught, built up and given opportunity.

He will turn the program around, but at what expense? If he dismisses tons of players off the current squad, then what is to say he wouldn't do that to others that transfer there. That'll be lost in the hype and press. And here's the thing, say this is all BS...... Why film it? If you mean it, say it in private meeting and stand by it. Seems a little bit made for TV for me....... I've said this about local club sports, much more respect to those coaches that demonstrate loyalty and mold young people than those that take only top talent and cut those that need to be taught, built up and given opportunity.
Yea this isnt club sports. Schools are investing hundreds of millions of dollars for these coaches to win games.

And i can promise you all of these players entering the portal arent leaving their current schools voluntarily. Sanders isnt the only one encouraging players to explore the portal.

I guess maybe the college football experience there gets a little too professional for my taste. In my mind, still student athletes, but just my opinion. Totally agree not club sport and happens elsewhere. I respect the privacy elsewhere and how they handle it less publicly. I'd be a terrible FCS coach because my loyalty to kids wouldn't allow for me to give up on them. Guilty as charged! Great discussion!

Last edited:
It’s different when he names his son the starter before he even gets there. Any QB worth a damn wouldn’t go there.
He son was the starting QB at Jackson State. His son has been his starting QB since he was 6 years old!

Seems to me like he is more or less saying to transfer if you don't like how he is going to do things and you aren't willing to compete, not that they should all enter the portal because he hates them

Reactions: kwamizee
A lot is being said about all this so here are a few of my thoughts. Deion can recruit on his name alone. What kid wouldn't want to play for an NFL HOFer? Deion has proven he can win. I think any new coach would be bringing at least some of his recruits to the new destination, so I see no problem with that.

Sanders doesn't strike me as a coach who would bullsh*t kids. I think he would just tell it as he sees it. Being truthful is being honest. He also doesn't strike me as a guy who will take any sh*t or accept laziness and mental miscues. Sometimes athletes don't like to hear the truth or be shown their weaknesses.

However, if you're a kid and someone like Deion says he believes in you or makes any compliment, you can rest assured he means it and isn't playing games. I would feel very comfortable sending my sons to play for a guy like that. Because if these kids think this part of their life is hard, wait till they get into the real world when this is over.

Deion Sanders introduces his son Shedeur in his opening statement: “That’s your quarterback.” “He’s gonna have to earn it though. The safety (Shilo) made me mad so I didn’t bring him.” #GoBuffs

Did you listen to his our-going speech to his team? He pulls no punches!

Taking Deion out of it, the bigger picture is that the portal and NIL have turned football and men's bball into "almost pro" sports. In some of the higher end NIL cases, the players could be taking a pay cut in the NFL draft.

As an Iowa State alum, I love what the new bball coach has done to turn the program around. 2-22 a couple years ago, sweet 16 last season, ranked right now after starting the season unranked. But it's basically "fantasy football" and drafting a new roster each season. The days of a signing a great class(es) of freshmen, and watching them build something over multiple seasons are gone.

Taking Deion out of it, the bigger picture is that the portal and NIL have turned football and men's bball into "almost pro" sports. In some of the higher end NIL cases, the players could be taking a pay cut in the NFL draft.

As an Iowa State alum, I love what the new bball coach has done to turn the program around. 2-22 a couple years ago, sweet 16 last season, ranked right now after starting the season unranked. But it's basically "fantasy football" and drafting a new roster each season. The days of a signing a great class(es) of freshmen, and watching them build something over multiple seasons are gone.
Yep, at least for D1 Bball/football, I'm over the false appearance of it being anything other than big business.

Deion speaking truth to it openly while many like a Dabo or whoever will pretend like it's something purer while taking in millions themselves.

Reactions: kwamizee
A lot is being said about all this so here are a few of my thoughts. Deion can recruit on his name alone. What kid wouldn't want to play for an NFL HOFer? Deion has proven he can win. I think any new coach would be bringing at least some of his recruits to the new destination, so I see no problem with that.

Sanders doesn't strike me as a coach who would bullsh*t kids. I think he would just tell it as he sees it. Being truthful is being honest. He also doesn't strike me as a guy who will take any sh*t or accept laziness and mental miscues. Sometimes athletes don't like to hear the truth or be shown their weaknesses.

However, if you're a kid and someone like Deion says he believes in you or makes any compliment, you can rest assured he means it and isn't playing games. I would feel very comfortable sending my sons to play for a guy like that. Because if these kids think this part of their life is hard, wait till they get into the real world when this is over.
Agreed. Deion has caught some flack for "abandoning" JSU, but I bet he was 100% up front with every guy he recruited. His approach alone is an edge right now, it seems.

Deion Sanders introduces his son Shedeur in his opening statement: “That’s your quarterback.” “He’s gonna have to earn it though. The safety (Shilo) made me mad so I didn’t bring him.” #GoBuffs

Did you listen to his our-going speech to his team? He pulls no punches!
Not sure if any of you follow the Sanders' social media, but its very entertaining. Not only that, you can tell hes a great father to his kids.

He is definitely a great recruiter and seems to be a good role model.

However, as a football coach, he has a lot to prove. Reality is that he is 0-4 in games as a head coach where the two teams had comparable talent. Spoken to a couple former college coaches who watched some Jackson State games and said their scheme were comparable to a average high school team in most southern states.

For Colorado to be competiive, he needs to bring in top coordinators and leave them alone to do their thing.

He is definitely a great recruiter and seems to be a good role model.

However, as a football coach, he has a lot to prove. Reality is that he is 0-4 in games as a head coach where the two teams had comparable talent. Spoken to a couple former college coaches who watched some Jackson State games and said their scheme were comparable to a average high school team in most southern states.

For Colorado to be competiive, he needs to bring in top coordinators and leave them alone to do their thing.
I dont think that statement about him being 0-4 is accurate. He beat Campbell this year (a higher tier FCS school) They also beat TSU who def has comparable talent as they won 5 games in the OVC, a much better league than the SWAC.

He also had 3 losses in his first year where the talent he had wasnt nearly what it is now. Hunter, Doyle, Coleman, etc didnt get their until this year.

I dont think that statement about him being 0-4 is accurate. He beat Campbell this year (a higher tier FCS school) They also beat TSU who def has comparable talent as they won 5 games in the OVC, a much better league than the SWAC.

He also had 3 losses in his first year where the talent he had wasnt nearly what it is now. Hunter, Doyle, Coleman, etc didnt get their until this year.

Jackson state had tremendously more talent than campbell or TSU the past two years.

Jackson state had tremendously more talent than campbell or TSU the past two years.
Based on what? Probably the best rb for TSU is a transfer from Memphis. Their #1 wr is a transfer from Georgia. The #2 wr is from Ball State. #3 Wr is from Memphis. 2 of their top 3 in tackles came from Houston and Ohio State.

According to FCS recruiting rankings, Campbell had 5 recruits (Hutson, Mascoe, Clark, Weldon, Rowser) in the top 40 while Jackson St (Fortlien, Beasley, Hunter, Coleman) only had 4.

Based on what? Probably the best rb for TSU is a transfer from Memphis. Their #1 wr is a transfer from Georgia. The #2 wr is from Ball State. #3 Wr is from Memphis. 2 of their top 3 in tackles came from Houston and Ohio State.

According to FCS recruiting rankings, Campbell had 5 recruits (Hutson, Mascoe, Clark, Weldon, Rowser) in the top 40 while Jackson St (Fortlien, Beasley, Hunter, Coleman) only had 4.
Based on Massey Rankings:

Jackson St #11
Campbell #64
TSU #76

That is pretty sizable difference and Massey doesn’t figure record into rankings so it’s why you see multiple power conference teams with 6-5 records in the top 15.

Based on Massey Rankings:

Jackson St #11
Campbell #64
TSU #76

That is pretty sizable difference and Massey doesn’t figure record into rankings so it’s why you see multiple power conference teams with 6-5 records in the top 15.
I dont think the discussion was about who had the better team. That was obviously JSU. I disagreed with that statement that JSU had "tremendously" more talent the past two years than the other teams, especially considering the two 5* recruits weren't there two years ago. And Campbell signed more top 40 fcs recruits this past year than JSU did.

Reactions: Alexander32
Personalities aside, there is no comparison between Walter and Neon Dion. Walter was simply the best all around running back the NFL has ever had. So far, IMO, that is still the case. Sanders was good, very good, but not in the same league as Walter. IMO, Sanders was a very good player for the NFL and I hope he does as well as a coach for Colorado!

Personalities aside, there is no comparison between Walter and Neon Dion. Walter was simply the best all around running back the NFL has ever had. So far, IMO, that is still the case. Sanders was good, very good, but not in the same league as Walter. IMO, Sanders was a very good player for the NFL and I hope he does as well as a coach for Colorado!
Nothing against WP, but i think its pretty outrageous to say that Payton was in a class above deion. Sanders had more 1st team all pro selections. Hes consistently listed as a top 15 def player of all time and top cb of all time.

Reactions: brucealmighy
Nothing against WP, but i think its pretty outrageous to say that Payton was in a class above deion. Sanders had more 1st team all pro selections. Hes consistently listed as a top 15 def player of all time and top cb of all time.
And a high level pro baseball player

I don't think it "outrageous" that in my opinion Walter Payton is a class above Sanders. Certainly not an abrasive personality as some feel about Sanders. Different type player positions and personalities. Running backs take a lot more physical punishment than defensive backs. Walter took those hits and gave them back sometimes. Payton has consistently been rated as the top running back of all time by many NFL players and sports commentators. No slight to Sanders, but if I were a coach in the NFL and had a choice between the two it would certainly be Walter.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
I don't think it "outrageous" that in my opinion Walter Payton is a class above Sanders. Certainly not an abrasive personality as some feel about Sanders. Different type player positions and personalities. Running backs take a lot more physical punishment than defensive backs. Walter took those hits and gave them back sometimes. Payton has consistently been rated as the top running back of all time by many NFL players and sports commentators. No slight to Sanders, but if I were a coach in the NFL and had a choice between the two it would certainly be Walter.
Well your first post said you were ignoring personalities in your comparison. Either way, thats not a factor in what the did on the field.

One was a 6x 1st team all pro. The other 5x. Same # of all pro teams. WP has 1 more pro bowl. Dont see how theres an argument that either put themselves in a class above the other.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT