ADVERTISEMENT

Classic HS Football Games....

The 2001 RB vs JCA game has to be one of the most exciting football games at any level I have ever seen.

I had the honor of being the P.A. man for this one. Talk about electric atmosphere. Hyped for a week. People climbing in trees and garage roofs to see it. It was a David vs Goliath matchup.Was on the field pre-game and stood next to some of those JCA kids. JCA was huge compared to RB. Without a tipped ball in the endzone on the last play of the game preventing an RB TD, this one would have gone down as one of the greatest comebacks in IHSA history. Take the time and give it a watch.

Originally posted by voiceofthebulldogs:
I had the honor of being the P.A. man for this one. Talk about electric atmosphere. Hyped for a week. People climbing in trees and garage roofs to see it. It was a David vs Goliath matchup.Was on the field pre-game and stood next to some of those JCA kids. JCA was huge compared to RB. Without a tipped ball in the endzone on the last play of the game preventing an RB TD, this one would have gone down as one of the greatest comebacks in IHSA history. Take the time and give it a watch.
David vs Goliath? If I remember correctly RB was undefeated and ranked higher than JC. I would say that most people felt that it was a pickum game. That RB team had one of the most prolific offenses in IHSA history with some unbelievable athletes. I was there and it was a great game, but I would by no means call it David vs Goliath. It was more like two heavyweights going back and forth.

Greatest Out-of-State HS Game Ever....

1994 Texas State Championship Game: Plano East (black jerseys) vs. John Tyler (white jerseys)

Plano East down 41-17 with 3 minutes to go in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHkABO0VwCg
This post was edited on 12/7 11:00 AM by Wassup13

2001 JCA v. Brookfield. Even though RB might have been ranked higher, it was still the up-and-comer vs. the Yankees. We had to park a mile away and stood 10 deep around the field. And the last play came down to a fingertip!

A very close second would be '05 (?) JCA @ Morris. McKeon (JCA QB) was real good vs Dergo who had 50+ touchdowns that year. Estimated 8-10 thousand people there. Dergo had maybe the best single game performance with 360 yds. was it? and two interceptions. And still JCA had a chance to the last play of the game when Dergo picked one off in the end zone. Instant classic!

'05 (?) JCA @ Morris

====

I was searching for that game on video but could not find it. We have to ask the IHSA to put it on youtube.

Wassup

Originally posted by Wassup13:

'05 (?) JCA @ Morris

====

I was searching for that game on video but could not find it. We have to ask the IHSA to put it on youtube.

Wassup
Wow!

First play

I'm going to go on record and make what I do not even think is a bold claim...

JC/JCA has been in an overwhelming amount of big time classic games. Whoever is second, and i don't know who it might be, is not even close.

not even close.

MC's best finish to a game was the 1988 Quarterfinals vs #1 HF where on the last play of the game in a driving rainstorm TE Mark Norville caught a tipped pass in the endzone to win 13-12 before subsequently beating 12-0 Rita and 13-0 Flyer for 6A title.

Originally posted by DeanOfSelection:

MC's best finish to a game was the 1988 Quarterfinals vs #1 HF where on the last play of the game in a driving rainstorm TE Mark Norville caught a tipped pass in the endzone to win 13-12 before subsequently beating 12-0 Rita and 13-0 Flyer for 6A title.
I was going to nominate that game as well Dean. Played with a guy in college from HF who claimed he was the one who tipped the pass. He said it was the worst loss he had ever experienced as a player

What about defending state champs and #1 and #2 NN and WWS in 93. WWS down 10-7 in last 2 mins does an 80 yard hook and ladder-wins 14-10.

As far as state championship games go the 1992 JC/WWS was pretty classic. And for selfish reasons, my favorite classic was JC's comeback win in the 87 championship game. Ty Isaac Sr catches td pass with 2 minutes left to complete comeback as Hilltoppers beat Richwoods.

Watched a few of the classic games from the archives. Great stuff. Funny to see all the late hits they never called back then. You could plaster a ball carrier three yards out of bounds without a penalty.

1982 JC/Marist. The defending state champion Hilltoppers played their first ever ESCC game at Marist and won a squeaker 34-30. This was one of Marist's best teams ever and would have been a genuine threat to win the 6A title. The loss to JC (their only loss of the season) kept them out of the playoffs.

Probably top 3 most "hyped" MC games were 98 PC , 01 JC, 06 LWE. Best overall MC game for me that I saw was the 02 Com Quarter. what a chess match. another great one was that Nequa semi in 12. 14 all mid 4th -were the 2 best teams that year. Best regular season game was 04 at Rita a 42-35 win.

This post was edited on 12/9 10:16 AM by DeanOfSelection

Dean ... 1982 game I just refered to was a week after JC hammered your Caravan but MC won the rematch in a close game in the playoffs. I believe the series went on hiatus after that year for a while. In my humble opinion the two teams should play every year. It's a classic rivalry !

JC won the opener 32-7 then MC won in playoffs 28-22 and revealed we beat JC shirts after game. LOL

It was because of that the series was discontinued until 1991. Woulda loved to have seen MC JC in '90, MC opened at Cincy Moeller instead that year.

I know naming a classic high school football game without a catholic school in it is heresy....but I'll nominate a game that got a little known program (at the time)in the playoffs for the first time.

I give the 40-39 end of the 2001-2002 regular season game between Sandburg and the new program at Lincoln-Way East when East won it on a two-point conversion with no time left on the clock...

I have neve seen a more exciting game before or since. This game launched the Lincoln-way East program of today.

LWeastdad

And I was thinking the 2004 Lockport-LincolnWay East
playoff game. LWE shocked defending State champ Lockport
defeating them on their own field. Huge game by the
Griffins.

Originally posted by corey90:
LWeastdad

And I was thinking the 2004 Lockport-LincolnWay East
playoff game. LWE shocked defending State champ Lockport
defeating them on their own field. Huge game by the
Griffins.
That seemed like the game that really got that program going. From an outsider, that was a huge upset. That game also sent Lockport into a tailspin that they still have not recovered from.

Could probably make a case for a number of Rita/MC games or Marist/Rice games - regular season or playoffs.

Marist and Rice in the 94 playoffs, the only time they met in the playoffs, was 7-6.

Corey

During their first year it was thought that LWE would not win a game. Getting into the playoffs and beating Sandburg (a regular playoff team at the time) was a HUGE upset. That's why I picked that game as the one who got it started.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I agree with Wilmington77 about the DC and Wilmington game in 04. We drove up from Du Quoin just to watch. Long drive, it was windy and cold, but loved every second of it. I think my feet finally thawed out when we hit Effingham. The '92 semifinal game in 3A is one of my most memorable. Du Quoin stopped Robinson on a two point conversion attempt with seconds on the clock to seal a 13-12 victory.

The 1990 3A final was preseason 1 versus 2 - Althoff and Alleman, respectively.

Althoff - with several D1 players including Hickey Thompson - was supposed to demolish the Pioneers as we'd done to everyone that season (we played a 6A schedule and whipped everyone up until then.)

Alleman played over their heads and Althoff was planning a celebration before the game. It took two goal-line stands and 40 rushing attempts from Hickey, but we pulled off our 27th straight win for the title. It was not decided until late in the 4th. That's the only time I played that late in a game that season.

I covered the Holy Cross-St. Viator game for the Sun Times. It is one of my all time favorites.

After the game i interviewed Wolfe and he had the best quote I ever had from a player.

When asked about his performance Garrett replied, "It is Friday the 13th and there is a full moon. What better night for a Wolfe."

This post was edited on 12/15 3:18 PM by Quags57

88 playoff game vs MC was most depressing game for us Rita guys but that game/atmosphere epitomized high school football -- 2 tough south side schools playing at the most classic and intimidating stadium in the inner city. 89 was epic as well and much better outcome for SR but it was not a playoff game and Gately can't compare to old Cronin Field on 63rd Street

Originally posted by Quags57:
I covered the Holy Cross-St. Viator game for the Sun Times. It is one of my all time favorites.

After the game i interviewed Wolfe and he had the best quote I ever had from a player.

When asked about his performance Garrett replied, "It is Friday the 13th and there is a full moon. What better night for a Wolfe."

This post was edited on 12/15 3:18 PM by Quags57
After listening to him during the state games he definitely didn't come up with that himself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT