ADVERTISEMENT

Class 4A IHSA Preseason Coaches Poll talk

I really think St Francis would of won the state title, if no Rochester this year

About where I expected the Coalers to be

Manteno is a team to watch for sure, as the Panthers could have been really good in the fall. Gesky early enrolling at Illinois puts a crimp on the line, and Trepanier (Bradley baseball ride - lefty pitcher) sitting out loses the no 1 receiver / 3 year starter. And do they have a running back?

But the Panthers return a 3rd year starting QB to run their spread. There's a couple other 3 year starters returning. As the only true spread offense in the conference, the Panthers passing offense is always dangerous. Coal City's rushing attack will likely slice & dice the defense, and Peotone's rushing game should be good...Likely a Big 12 perspective in Manteno this spring - if you can't stop them, just outscore them.

Posting on the 4A poll since no one has said anything about 3A yet.....I just don't see the point in these polls. Not trying to be negative either. It is awesome we are having any type of season. It should have happened in the fall in all honesty. Almost all teams (unless they are independent I think) are playing conference opponents only. How would a team really move up or down in these polls then? What purpose do they serve aside from discussion?

Reactions: Coalertown44
Posting on the 4A poll since no one has said anything about 3A yet.....I just don't see the point in these polls. Not trying to be negative either. It is awesome we are having any type of season. It should have happened in the fall in all honesty. Almost all teams (unless they are independent I think) are playing conference opponents only. How would a team really move up or down in these polls then? What purpose do they serve aside from discussion?
I actually 100% agree

Unless you won ...

Winning state means a little bit. Especially in a small town. This exhibition season means nothing if you go undefeated. ICE is pretty weak overall IMO, some may argue. I would say Wilmo or CC are the top two in standings at end of this spring with 5-0 then 4-1 being the record of the loser of their head to head game. I dont think 5 games is enough to even find a true conference champion is it?

Actually, that is where it matters more, I think. I moved away from Belleville in 1995 - I've lived up here longer than down there. I still get asked about a certain play or so when I get back home.

no that’s what I meant. It matters a little in a small town. Bigger cities have more going on.

If I am at said bar I would laugh in their face. I hope by the time they are my age they would realize that it didn't mean anything.
It means something to my senior, I'd love to see someone laugh in his face in a couple of years regarding this season, especially if they're wearing an I Love Pumpkinhead shirt..

It means something to my senior, I'd love to see someone laugh in his face in a couple of years regarding this season, especially if they're wearing an I Love Pumpkinhead shirt..

I never said it didn't mean anything to those playing or their parents. The experience and process of this crazy year is tolling on all involved. With everything going on they should be damn proud that they are going out there and playing just for pride. However......The records mean nothing in a 5 game conference only season. Would I actually laugh at a kid during this? Of course not. But when they are 21+ at a bar spouting off that their team shoulda, woulda, coulda I will laugh at them. You know how many self proclaimed state champs there will be this year? I surely hope that these young men have a more defining moment in their life than high school football.

Also, what the hell does your pumpkinhead comment mean LOL?

I never said it didn't mean anything to those playing or their parents. The experience and process of this crazy year is tolling on all involved. With everything going on they should be damn proud that they are going out there and playing just for pride. However......The records mean nothing in a 5 game conference only season. Would I actually laugh at a kid during this? Of course not. But when they are 21+ at a bar spouting off that their team shoulda, woulda, coulda I will laugh at them. You know how many self proclaimed state champs there will be this year? I surely hope that these young men have a more defining moment in their life than high school football.

Also, what the hell does your pumpkinhead comment mean LOL?
I honestly think there won't be any young adults from this season claiming State Championships, unless they're from Mt Carmel or a Caravan fan:) There's nothing wrong with a kid/young adult saying that they think they would've/could've been a State Champion, especially if the kid's team is ranked, from a solid program and wins out his conference.. It's convos like that that are common when folks relive the past, especially sports bar talk.. I wouldn't laugh in their face if they did, especially a 2021 senior grad..

Pumpkinhead is our wonderful POS governor. Feel free to laugh in his face..:)

Reactions: Gene K.
The rankings are for fun, possibly to give more legitimacy for the kids and make the season seem more like fall for seniors.
In the end I'm not sure it's really worth debating or talking about.

The rankings are for fun, possibly to give more legitimacy for the kids and make the season seem more like fall for seniors.
In the end I'm not sure it's really worth debating or talking about.

Rankings with the smaller schools is tough since they are spread all over the state and most won't play each other during the spring. Its much easier to rank the bigger schools since most of the power programs are in a few conferences and will play each other this spring. St Francis would have been the favorite in 4A this year, it sucks that they lost the season it had potential to be a memorable one.

Reactions: Gene K.
I honestly think there won't be any young adults from this season claiming State Championships, unless they're from Mt Carmel or a Caravan fan:) There's nothing wrong with a kid/young adult saying that they think they would've/could've been a State Champion, especially if the kid's team is ranked, from a solid program and wins out his conference.. It's convos like that that are common when folks relive the past, especially sports bar talk.. I wouldn't laugh in their face if they did, especially a 2021 senior grad..

Pumpkinhead is our wonderful POS governor. Feel free to laugh in his face..:)

Ah nice I usually just go with Jelly Belly

Reactions: Googertys Dog
Rankings with the smaller schools is tough since they are spread all over the state and most won't play each other during the spring. Its much easier to rank the bigger schools since most of the power programs are in a few conferences and will play each other this spring. St Francis would have been the favorite in 4A this year, it sucks that they lost the season it had potential to be a memorable one.

Thats exactly my point. 2,3,4 all end up playing each other. Maybe one ends up with two losses or all with one loss or one undefeated and the next two each have one loss .....several scenarios......not important.......but 1,5,6,7,8 don't end up playing each other, or any other team on this list. So how would the rankings mean anything? I get that it's just a general list of what teams are among the top in the state, but it doesn't mean anything. Just my two cents.

Like I said maybe I'm turning into "get off my lawn guy". Didn't think I was quite that old yet though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT