ADVERTISEMENT

Class 3A Boys Baseball Seeds

Mike, which teams do you feel can compete with JCA? From what I see it should be back-to-back 3A state champs for JCA.

Although the question is not directed at me, I am responding anyway. JCA may repeat, but I strongly doubt it. They are only the 5 seed in the sectional. (Yes, I am aware of their tough schedule). I would not be surprised if they went out in the second game. They are no where near as good as last year.

I agree with Sundown...any of the #1 seeds are always a legit threat to win it all...and possibly some lower seeds...Richards is looking pretty good, but I'll throw a team out there that's always in the mix in 3A....Joe Joe Rodeghero's Lemont Indians...they'll probably cross paths with JCA at some point....

MIKEFTB

JCA can play with anyone, but I haven't seen the consistency from them that it usually takes to win a state championship. Personally, I think they will have a tough time getting by either or both Lemont and Richards. JCA is 2 years away from competing for a state championship. They have very strong freshman and sophomore classes.

Easy Road

I think they have a decent chance when you consider that the road to state is pretty darn easy when compared to others. I think 4 classes in 'bases' could be worse than 8 in football.
Do you remember the old Lockport AA Regional? Porters,Morris, Hillmen, JT, Cetlics, Minooka, PFC. 30 wins may get you the #4 seed.
This post was edited on 5/10 12:17 PM by Bag Phone
This post was edited on 5/10 1:13 PM by Bag Phone

USD24,

JCA is starting to play a little better. It is tough to replace a two year starter at SS and a three year starter at 2B along with your #1 pitcher. They were rated way too high early but are better than their current record. The lack of a junior class is really hurting them. The good news is that the sophmore class is loaded with pitching and the freshmen class is the best they have had since the "glory days" of the old JCHS. You may see as many as 5 to 6 sophmore starters on next years team.

Re: Easy Road

Bag Phone,

I agree with the four classes in baseball being a bad idea. The old Lockport AA Regional was a war. The winner of that regional usually had a very good chance to win state. The schedule was set up in such a way that you needed three good pitchers to win. Much different than today. I really do not understand why the IHSA does not go to a double elimination/pool play format for the tournament. All of the summer tournaments are played this way and it makes for the best teams being there at the end. In a sport usually dominated by a great pitcher, single elimination is just not a very good idea.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT