ADVERTISEMENT

Chicagoland Prairie Conference/ forfeits

doctor_d

Oct 9, 2016
Just saw that Seneca will receive their second forfeit win of the season.

Both were conference games (Westmont and now Walter Christian)

Seneca should’ve never left the old I-8

Reactions: Coalertown44
Don't feel bad for them. Reap what you what you sow. If they didn't leave the I8 they wouldn't have this problem

Why did Seneca leave the old I8 in the first place?
They were the smallest football school in the league and experienced a stretch where they weren’t very competitive. At least that’s the narrative. They were just a bit smaller than Wilmo.
Seneca was pretty competitive in every other sport.

They were the smallest football school in the league and experienced a stretch where they weren’t very competitive. At least that’s the narrative. They were just a bit smaller than Wilmo.
Seneca was pretty competitive in every other sport.
So they left a pretty good situation just be be more successful at football? Looking at their history, that move has resulted in 3 playoff appearances (19, 22, and 23). I would agree that it was a bad move on their part if they were competitive in all other sports. I assume they were near the top in basketball, baseball, and track. They always seem to be solid in those 3.

So they left a pretty good situation just be be more successful at football? Looking at their history, that move has resulted in 3 playoff appearances (19, 22, and 23). I would agree that it was a bad move on their part if they were competitive in all other sports. I assume they were near the top in basketball, baseball, and track. They always seem to be solid in those 3.
They were super solid in football back in the 90's

They were super solid in football back in the 90's

I agree, very tough program in the 90's and into the early 2000's. I wonder how the forfeits affect them come playoff time. I doubt those teams would have given much challenge, but a whole week with no game could be draining on the psyche'.

What does a team do during a forfeit week? Give Friday off completely then go start preparing for next week on Saturday instead of doing the normal post-game films? How early does a team know they will receive a forfeit? I'm actually curious about the logistics of this........

Also, I just looked into their conference standings.....WOW that is a diverse mix of schools. What happens when Westmont is set to play Walter? Double forfeit or is one school suiting up the band kids to field enough for the win?

You never know, a forfeit could come at a great time depending how many guys you got banged up. Get some people healthy. Luck of the draw really. It could happen when you're 100% healthy and playing with a lot of confidence and momentum. If I practiced on Friday, I would make it light and then take the guys to a game, especially if a future opponent was playing.

Also, I just looked into their conference standings.....WOW that is a diverse mix of schools. What happens when Westmont is set to play Walter? Double forfeit or is one school suiting up the band kids to field enough for the win?
Makes zero sense to me why St. Bede left a fairly local Three Rivers for this mishmash of leftover schools nobody else wanted.

Reactions: jimsavio
Westmont forfeited to Seneca in Week 3, but has played every other game.

Walther had played weeks 1-4, but forfeited week 5 to Marquette and now week 6 to Seneca.

It “appears” that the forfeits may be based on the strength of opposition. Maybe just coincidence.

It “appears” that forfeits may be based on strength of schedule.
If it appears that way to you, i think you might be blind.
Walther Christian started it’s season with a roster of 20 players, 8 of whom are sophomores. I know nothing about injuries or kids quitting the team, just that they did not score an offensive point in the first four weeks they played.
They played the first 4 weeks in succession including losses to a team that is 3-2 and it’s most recently played game which was a 70-0 loss to a 4-win that was not criticized on this board for running up the score.
Walther enrollment is down to about 200 kids and we can assume half of them are girls.
Now if Walther continues to forfeit games and then shows up week 9 to play winless elmwood park, then your statement about appearing to play or not play based on quality of opponent could have merit.
As of now, saying they are dodging good teams and playing bad teams is your opinion and I don’t agree with it at all.

I stated that it could just be coincidence.

Walther may very well forfeit the remaining schedule. Perhaps they get enough players healthy and resume playing in a week or two.

It could also be coincidence that Westmont was too banged up one week when they happened to have the top team in the league on the schedule, but then got well.

I'm assuming Seneca will go undefeated. What is the record for lowest amount of opponent wins by a 9-0 team? Don't think it will be them, but they are going to be pretty low with a possible 1-8 Lisle, then whatever 0-9/1-8 teams in their conference.

You never know, a forfeit could come at a great time depending how many guys you got banged up. Get some people healthy. Luck of the draw really. It could happen when you're 100% healthy and playing with a lot of confidence and momentum. If I practiced on Friday, I would make it light and then take the guys to a game, especially if a future opponent was playing.
I assumed the team would go to a game of a nearby future opponent. Anytime a team near us had Saturday games they would usually come watch us on Friday.

I saw on a different website that Seneca picked up Rock Island Alleman, but Alleman isn’t playing a varsity schedule this year….
I don’t know, but what I do know is that this conference doesn’t seem long term viable.

I assumed the team would go to a game of a nearby future opponent. Anytime a team near us had Saturday games they would usually come watch us on Friday.
Great game right down the road in Morris on Friday.

I don’t know, but what I do know is that this conference doesn’t seem long term viable.
Peru to Norridge bus trips… you think the “leaders” at these schools have the student athletes in mind when they drum up these half ass conferences?

Peru to Norridge bus trips… you think the “leaders” at these schools have the student athletes in mind when they drum up these half ass conferences?
I understand that scheduling football can be a pain in the ass, but a big part of this is self inflicted by Seneca. They were a charter member of the I-8 and decided to leave in (I think) 2018. I’m not sure why they left the Vermillion Valley this past year. I guess it was travel, but half the conference teams being from the suburbs and the other half being way out rural in this current situation is not ideal.

This conference is totally mind boggling. I get the surburban schools being in this conference, they don't have anywhere else to go, but the rural ones make little to no sense.

Look like there are viable options for Seneca in the ICE and even 3 Rivers. So they be the smallest but it's not by much and they have proven their athletic programs are pretty solid across the board.

Dwight would be a perfect fit in the Heart of Illinois in both size and geography, no idea why that move hasn't been made.

Reactions: stl705
Trying to see this from Peru-St. Bede view. They are a 1a school for football, and are probably used to making the postseason. But in 3 straight regular seasons that wrapped around the Covid year, their teams were non-qualifiers.
Though they look like a 4-5 finisher this year, I mean they could swipe a fifth win.
And we are only talking football as they are in a different conference in other sports so we are talking about 4 or 5 road games a season with probably 2 of them with a normal travel distance. So I don’t know how much of an issue travel really is. 1 sport with 2 lengthy trips. In the fox valley check out going from mchenry to Huntley and Hampshire and Burlington in every sport. Or some of the drives in the kishwaukee conference divisions and again that is every sport.

Westmont down 35-0 decided not to come back out for the 2nd half last Friday night vs Dwight......Sad well actually they quit with 2 minutes left in the half.

Reactions: colin2229
Westmont down 35-0 decided not to come back out for the 2nd half last Friday night vs Dwight......Sad well actually they quit with 2 minutes left in the half.
Do you know how many kids they had dressed? I have heard about their number’s problems (along with Walther)

Last edited:
East Dillon Lions did that and turned It into a state title a few years later… be patient

East Dillon Lions did that and turned It into a state title a few years later… be patient
Westmont is situated between D86 (Hinsdale Central/Hinsdale South) and D99 (Downers North/Downers South). Most of their feeder kids play in either Downers Panthers or Hinsdale Falcons. I don't think Westmont's numbers and/or athletes are coming anytime soon. The two top tier public school districts combined with the relatively nearby private schools Montini, Bennet and Naz are a strong draw to families of young athletes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT