ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago Tribune article on CPS football

Outstanding article that accurately touches on many of the struggles with coaching football here in Chicago. Fabray Collins is a great coach who really puts his heart into his program. Hopefully he will continue coaching with a new program somewhere else.

Reactions: MR. "T"
Outstanding article that accurately touches on many of the struggles with coaching football here in Chicago. Fabray Collins is a great coach who really puts his heart into his program. Hopefully he will continue coaching with a new program somewhere else.

Former SIU Saluki who lived on the same floor (Schneider Hall) great guy

Thank you for the link. I knew some of the issues with the CPS schools, but didn't realize how deep the problem was across the system. The staffing and curriculum problems with the small schools, however, are the same whether the 250 student building is in Chicago or in Gilman...but families in the small town are more attached to the building and program. No small town is going to build a new $85 million building when they have a perfectly fine existing one. But if part of the goal is to eliminate obsolete structures, I suppose this works. BTW, my dad was a Gage Park grad...sorry to hear about its difficulties.

Not that long ago, 2012, Robeson played JCA and gave JCA a game(JCA won 34-26). I remember watching the game and they had some guys who could play. The JCA guys will probably remember that Robeson's offensive line would line up get in a stance and then stand up trying to have the JCA defense go offside.

Robeson also had a bull of a running back that was running through some of the JCA defenders.

Reactions: JolietWest89
I also remember too Englewood upsetting/destroying Marmion in round 1 of the playoffs.Later their Coach who have been getting kids out of gangs and onto the football field was shot and killed by thugs.I remember Harper losing 28 to 26 to Benet and Mather beating Rice in the Prep Bowl and had some competitive playoff teams.1987 had the strike not happened and Lane Tech not played all those games in a short time they could have gone to state and won it.I recall Kenwood beating St.Rita and in 1989 CVS & Lane losing quarterfinal heartbreakers and would have played each other in the semis.I still remember the 82 Robeson team and how they threw that game away vs Guilford.It was theirs.Simeon and Hubbard had some great deep playoff runs where they lost some tight games.Bogan had some teams that could beat/compete with Suburban/private schools.A few years ago they had no football.Gage Park didn't either.They had some playoff teams in the past.Whitney Young who dropped football this season beat DLS in the playoffs one year before losing a tough game to Rita.Who can forget the great Tilden teams who beat some pretty good suburban schools before losing playoff heartbreakers.I think Tilden dropped football too.Dunbar dropped football or at least forfeited games.In 97 they beat Loyola Academy!! Had some great teams too.

I also remember too Englewood upsetting/destroying Marmion in round 1 of the playoffs.Later their Coach who have been getting kids out of gangs and onto the football field was shot and killed by thugs.I remember Harper losing 28 to 26 to Benet and Mather beating Rice in the Prep Bowl and had some competitive playoff teams.1987 had the strike not happened and Lane Tech not played all those games in a short time they could have gone to state and won it.I recall Kenwood beating St.Rita and in 1989 CVS & Lane losing quarterfinal heartbreakers and would have played each other in the semis.I still remember the 82 Robeson team and how they threw that game away vs Guilford.It was theirs.Simeon and Hubbard had some great deep playoff runs where they lost some tight games.Bogan had some teams that could beat/compete with Suburban/private schools.A few years ago they had no football.Gage Park didn't either.They had some playoff teams in the past.Whitney Young who dropped football this season beat DLS in the playoffs one year before losing a tough game to Rita.Who can forget the great Tilden teams who beat some pretty good suburban schools before losing playoff heartbreakers.I think Tilden dropped football too.Dunbar dropped football or at least forfeited games.In 97 they beat Loyola Academy!! Had some great teams too.

Dunbar kids are still good, they just happen to be at Phillips

Reactions: CPSFan and UlbKA91
Dunbar kids are still good, they just happen to be at Phillips
Along with their coaches. Hall of Fame Coach Glenn Johnson was on stage hoisting the Championship trophy with Phillips captains. Good to see him still coaching after Dunbar let him go.

In 1989 St. Rita was the #1 team in the state. They just beat an undeafted MC team that was ranked #2. They lost to CVS in the second round. They couldn't handle Greg Wilikins on the D-Line. The Sun Times player of the Year was Alex Rodriguez was Lane Tech in 1989, he went on to play at Ohio State.

Along with their coaches. Hall of Fame Coach Glenn Johnson was on stage hoisting the Championship trophy with Phillips captains. Good to see him still coaching after Dunbar let him go.

Well now he's the only coach in CPS history to have a state championship ring in Football + Track & Field.....maybe one of the few in the state (East St Louis coaches)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT