ADVERTISEMENT

Budweiser post game show:MC-OPRF

DeanOfSelection

Gold Member
Sep 25, 2002
Well it was a game of ebbs of flows. MC was up 7-3 in top of 6th and the roof caved in. It looked promising for MC early. Scoreless through 3 but OPRF absolutely teed off on some pitches but they were right at people. Payonovich really really was tipping his change and thats how OP scored their first run. A solo shot that initially had some confusion if MC leftfielder caught or not. He seemed to hit a wall as well with a noticeable drop in velocity towrd end of 5th and start of 6th. Still, he did gut it out and had MC in position to win.

MC had an explosion in the 4th. With a man on 1st, freshman Jerry Houston hit a tailor made double play ball to short that took a bad hop which set up the 7 run inning.

MC was trying to hold off on bringing in Kravetz as long as they could with Rita looming on saturday. When the leadoff guy homered (a bomb) in the 6th the writing was on the wall. OP loaded the bases (with the help of a throwing error by 2nd) and a couple base knocks,another error, another bomb and there u go. a NINE run inning. Kravetz probably not accustomed to coming out of the pen and im sure he threw alot of pitches vs Ignatius. Definitely not at his best.

Well even if MC had won they were in trouble saturday. Not much left to throw and Rita having an extra day to rest arms. MC brings alot back next year. Pappas is a soph catcher,Houston a freshman at short,Sujka was at 2nd,Kravetz and Boehm at 1st. (side note:ive read that Boehm-a Kentucky commit-throws almost 90 and is a lefty however i havent seen his name in terms of pitching this year. i can only assume he is hurt and cannot pitch)

Re: Dean....

Great re-cap...will you attend the title game Saturday...or change plans and maybe see Rice vs Andrew @ Laurence?....

MIKEFTB

Re: Dean....

I'm assuming Filomeno will probably pitch on Saturday, which keeps SR in the game, but I think it will be a very difficult task to beat this OPRF team.

Does anyone know if OPRF's ace will be pitching? Or does it really matter?

But Dean...

"A deep pitching staff means absolutely nothing... all you really need is 2-3 good pitchers." says Dean on 5-5-10.

Re: But Dean...

Correct. In single elim a deep staff (say 5 guys) means nothing unfortunately. It would matter in double elim like D1 does it. Now MC....to be honest they really only have 1 very good pitcher. I thought they had 2 but Boehm doesnt pitch that i have seen. Kravetz also has a 3 quarters delivery which is gonna make it extra hard for him to throw on short rest. OP had 14 hits yesterday and could have had 20 with the way they hit the ball.

With the way the playoffs are done now, really spread out and with the 4 classes and not having a final 8 either but a fina 4, u are fine if u have 2 front line guys. In the 2 class system when u got to finals u were gonna have to win 3 games in 2 days and thats where some depth mattered but now u only have to win 2. Also, to win a Regional, u used to have to win 3 games on a thur,sat and mon so back then u needed maybe 4-5 guys.

I stand by my original assertion that in this 4 class system where the games are spread out and with less teams cause of 4 classes that u now only 2 maybe 3 pitchers tops. MC has 1.
This post was edited on 6/4 9:50 AM by DeanOfSelection

Re: But Dean...

I say at least three, maybe four if you want to win a title. I'll have you know that I was the #3 pitcher for my Pony League team. That should trump your status as a D1 pitcher for a high-major program.
smilie2.gif

...and another thing

I was really good at hitting batters. Few hit me because I hit them first.
This post was edited on 6/4 10:17 AM by NNFAN

Re: ...and another thing

taking in some college baseball on the U this enchanted evening. i already know what im gonna do next weekend with betting in vegas but this just cements it. 6 more days!!!!

Re: ...and another thing

ive put more into planning next weekend than some people do for their own wedding...i just hope i dont end up in a comprimising position and lose some internal organs lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT