ADVERTISEMENT

Bishop Mac now 3-2

FCHS2019

Dec 23, 2019
After gaining a forfeit win week 1 because Leo used an illegal player.. might sneak them into the 2A playoffs

News travels slow down here!!! lol

Even with this.. Mac so bad, the playoffs are 50/50 for them at best..

Yes, Mac talent level has really dropped. It was interesting that the guy who was gonna be the head coach left to coach 8-man in St. Anne. Kankakee HS still going strong with their new coach also.

Yes, Mac talent level has really dropped. It was interesting that the guy who was gonna be the head coach left to coach 8-man in St. Anne. Kankakee HS still going strong with their new coach also.
Mac will struggle as long as Kankakee and BB are good.. only kids they are getting now are good baseball kids that also play football

Mac will struggle as long as Kankakee and BB are good.. only kids they are getting now are good baseball kids that also play football
Too much talent in that area to be down for long. Kankakee and BB being good only means there is more talented players in the area. They just need to get stability at HC....which I think they got now.

There is a standing 7 count on BMac now.
Its legs are wobbly (enrollment is so low, they added 6-8th grades years ago and may need to go K-12 there just to stay open)
Face is pummeled (facilities are the worst in the area, by far)
The corner-man is watching another fight (revolving door with coaches).
They had an opportunity a few years ago when Kankakee was not good at football, BB was down, and they still had a good reputation. That door has now closed as will BMac's in a decade or 2.

Its legs are wobbly (enrollment is so low, they added 6-8th grades years ago and may need to go K-12 there just to stay open)
They had an opportunity a few years ago when Kankakee was not good at football, BB was down, and they still had a good reputation. That door has now closed as will BMac's in a decade or 2.
They won't close, but their days of being a sports power are likely done.. Kankakee, Bradley, Herscher and St Anne have turf, Momence is adding it next year.. Kankakee building a field house, Herscher spending close to $10 million on athletic facilities.. Manteno and Herscher are great school districts with small high schools, whose population matches Macs demographics..... Macs money guys are dying off..

But I am sure ramblin will know better because he was at a game there in 2013...

• Haha
Reactions: cigaros
They won't close, but their days of being a sports power are likely done.. Kankakee, Bradley, Herscher and St Anne have turf, Momence is adding it next year.. Kankakee building a field house, Herscher spending close to $10 million on athletic facilities.. Manteno and Herscher are great school districts with small high schools, whose population matches Macs demographics..... Macs money guys are dying off..

But I am sure ramblin will know better because he was at a game there in 2013...
None of that matters to storied catholic school programs. Alumni want to send their kids to these types of programs. Especially since they are the only catholic school in the area.

Just watched the highlights of the Bmac vs Herscher game. While Herscher has an awesome facility, hasn't helped that program one bit. Film is rough.

None of that matters to storied catholic school programs. Alumni want to send their kids to these types of programs. Especially since they are the only catholic school in the area.

Just watched the highlights of the Bmac vs Herscher game. While Herscher has an awesome facility, hasn't helped that program one bit. Film is rough.
I respectfully disagree. Addison Driscoll was a pretty storied program and they closed. And it sure looks like people in the area aren't sending their kids to Mac. There are better programs within the 30 mile radius and St. Anne having 8 man won't help.

Kankakee is a top. 5A program with great facilities and I have heard that several Mac players have decided to go to Kankakee in recent years and some are relatives of former Mac players.

I think that the facility was finished a day before that game. Having turf doesn't automatically make you a good team. Herscher looks to be a few years away and Mac doesn't much closer.

Last edited:
It seems like Mac is in a really bad place as far as football is concerned. I do think their baseball will be really good. Football is another story. It’s maybe not insurmountable, but it’s the biggest hole they’ve been in for 4 decades

Well Herscher has had their turf installed for about 6 weeks now... baseball and softball getting it installed now.. give it time...

And when I look at the rosters at BB, Herscher and Manteno I see names of kids whose parents went to Mac, so most of the alumni are not sending their kids there..

Well Herscher has had their turf installed for about 6 weeks now... baseball and softball getting it installed now.. give it time...

And when I look at the rosters at BB, Herscher and Manteno I see names of kids whose parents went to Mac, so most of the alumni are not sending their kids there..
Herschers turf field is supposed to make them good now? That program needs a complete overhaul.

Herschers turf field is supposed to make them good now? That program needs a complete overhaul.
Yes, Herscher is struggling right now. But, BMac only beat the 14-7 in Week 2. That is more indicative of BMac being in a bad place than Herscher needing a overhaul. After being 3-6 last season, and probably only getting to a 3-6/4-5 record this year will not help. Kankakee HS is a Semifinal type team, BBCHS is looking very good this year, and many of the small town people around the Kankakee Valley area just don't have the $ to pay BMac tuition/fund raising/books/clothes/extra fund raising/etc.
Regarding the alumni who want to send their kids there. They want to but they can't because they don't want their kid on a 3-6 private school football team.

That was my point, adding turf is a long term investment in the program, not going to impact 2023 football...

And to be fair to football, the athletic talent in the building has been down since 2018 or 19... when baseball and basketball are well below .500, you know the talent isn't there as those have always been well coached programs..

Mosier does a great job of getting the kids out for football, just needs to add quality assistants.. probably not a coincidence that they have been more competitive since Jarnagin took over as OC, he was the QB of the quarterfinal teams a few years ago and has a strong knowledge of the game

That was my point, adding turf is a long term investment in the program, not going to impact 2023 football...

And to be fair to football, the athletic talent in the building has been down since 2018 or 19... when baseball and basketball are well below .500, you know the talent isn't there as those have always been well coached programs..

Mosier does a great job of getting the kids out for football, just needs to add quality assistants.. probably not a coincidence that they have been more competitive since Jarnagin took over as OC, he was the QB of the quarterfinal teams a few years ago and has a strong knowledge of the game

Idk man. Watching the their highlights, coaching looks like an issue

You are absolutely correct on the facilities.

The one thing that separates Mac from other catholic schools with low enrollment is that while they are a diocesan school, they're supported by all the Catholic churches in Kankakee County rather than just a single parish. As a result, the subsidy from each church is smaller than if they were to support Mac on their own. They have a longer runway to turn their enrollment around than many other private schools.

Another thing that is somewhat overlooked, although not entirely surprising given that this is a football forum, is that people don't only send their kids to Mac for the athletics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT