ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Question: East St Louis Flyers

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
So what is the biggest question facing the 20921 Fall East St. Louis Flyers? Make sure to check back here daily for new teams and the biggest questions each day leading up to IHSA Fall Football Kickoff.

Team: East St. Louis Flyers

Biggest Question?

Lots of questions for the Flyers here, yet year in and year out this remains one of the top overall programs in Illinois. Look for that top program status to remain in place for this fall, hut several questions for me anyways remain in place this summer.

The Biggest Question? Will the Flyers nationally loaded regular season schedule hurt or help them this fall?

Have you taken a look at the Flyers schedule for this fall? Week 1? St. Louis area power CBC. Week 2? St. Louis power DeSmet. Week 3? National power St. John Bosco out of California. Need more? How about a Week 9 national TV game at IMG Academy in Florida? East St Louis and head coach/AD Darren Sunkett no question continues to want to move the historic football program to a new level this fall. The Flyers will battle several top regional and national powers and that's not even including some terrific Southwestern Conference showdowns against the likes of Edwardsville and OFallon.

But are the Flyers ready for this demanding schedule and capable of battling several top teams, many of who will have equally talented rosters and in many cases with have even more overall numbers and depth?

The Flyers will again have a stacked roster which will include multiple Power 5 and FBS level college recruits. The East St Louis offensive line welcomes back all 5 starting linemen from the spring, led by junior 4 star ranked OT Miles McVay and a line that will average around 320 plus pounds. The offensive skills will bring back some key underclassmen names including sophomore QB Pops Battle, junior RB Marquise Palmer along with senior 5 star WR Luther Burden (Oklahoma), senior WR Kuron Parchmon plus sophomore WR Ryan Boyd. Again the Flyers skills and offense is stacked.

Defense? No question the East Side has talent and speed including senior DT Jireh Mays, sophomore LB Bryce Harrison, senior LB Jaylen Byrd and the Flyers secondary includes senior Ahmad Robinson senior S Lamarr Box and senior Dallas Brown. Yet one thing that became evident in the spring season was that opposing teams found a way to run the football with success at times. While the Flyers went 5-1 in the spring, they also had a battle on their hands at times in the spring season.

So will the rough regular season slate help or hurt?

It depends. I can no question see the benefits of taking on national powers....including truly getting a better idea of exactly where the Flyers is at on a national scale. However, the eventual goal (again an interesting conversation to have as well) should be winning a state title...and I can see the potential of injuries and an overall limited depth level no question playing a possible impact on that state title goal. Another interesting sidebar is it sure looks more and more that the Flyers will end up playing sooner rather than later in Class 5A and as soon as this fall. Can East Side win in Class 5A even if say injuries limit the overall depth in the post-season?

Hopefully East Side will be able to compete and fare well against the national level power teams this Fall...and be able tpo take that experience into the IHSA state playoffs. Yet in my mind the potential issues and questions are certainly worth asking and wondering about in July.

Your thoughts on the biggest question facing East St. Louis?

Feel free to ask away here. I will also tease this out on the FREE Board as well....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News