ADVERTISEMENT

Best State Championship game you have witnessed

USD24

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Joliet
With state championship week upon us, what is the best state game you have seen.

My two most memorable state games involve Joliet Catholic. Both were 5A games back when there were only 6 classes The first was the 1992 epic battle between JCA and WWS. The Hilltoppers were coming off a huge semifinal win vs Mt Carmel. Classic game with numerous lead changes. WWS pulled out the win in double overtime. Although disappointed in the outcome, it was an unbelievable game.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1992-11-29-9204190161-story.html

The second was the 1987 title game featuring Joliet Catholic and Peoria Richwoods. Richwoods came in undefeated and took an early 13-0 lead. JC scored two second half TD's including the game winner with 2 minutes left on a 4th and 10 30 yd pass from Jon Voss to Tyrone Isaac. JC held on to win 14-13.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1987-11-29-8703300015-story.html

With state championship week upon us, what is the best state game you have seen.

My two most memorable state games involve Joliet Catholic. Both were 5A games back when there were only 6 classes The first was the 1992 epic battle between JCA and WWS. The Hilltoppers were coming off a huge semifinal win vs Mt Carmel. Classic game with numerous lead changes. WWS pulled out the win in double overtime. Although disappointed in the outcome, it was an unbelievable game.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1992-11-29-9204190161-story.html

The second was the 1987 title game featuring Joliet Catholic and Peoria Richwoods. Richwoods came in undefeated and took an early 13-0 lead. JC scored two second half TD's including the game winner with 2 minutes left on a 4th and 10 30 yd pass from Jon Voss to Tyrone Isaac. JC held on to win 14-13.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1987-11-29-8703300015-story.html
Is Tyrone Isaac the father of the more recent Ty Isaac or just a coincidence?

Good question, and the answer is 1976
St Laurence 22 - Glenbard West 21 in OT @ ISU - the game was played on a frozen tundra - old school astro-turf was frozen/iced over.
I believe that game set one combined team record that can never be broken - combined # of passes attempted by both teams = ZERO
Capped off a perfect 13-0 season for the Vikings

2012 7A. Glenbard West 10 and Lincoln Way East 8. Teams were ranked 1&2 in the state. Defenses were both amazing, and offensively both were good as well.

It's referenced as one of the hardest hitting finals of all time. I personally like LWE in 2005 over Maine South in 2OT because of the outcome, but that game against the Hitters felt like West Texas football.

Reactions: tmjgrady
2012 7A. Glenbard West 10 and Lincoln Way East 8. Teams were ranked 1&2 in the state. Defenses were both amazing, and offensively both were good as well.

It's referenced as one of the hardest hitting finals of all time. I personally like LWE in 2005 over Maine South in 2OT because of the outcome, but that game against the Hitters felt like West Texas football.
Sometimes the most gratifying games aren't the most aesthetically pleasing. Personally I liked the 2011 8A game, but I recognize that it was ugly as hell. I don't remember the GBW/LWE game from 2012, but 10-8 sounds ugly

For me, the 1992 JCA-WWS game ranks first. Another one that sticks out to me was Richards beating Morris 12-6 in overtime in 1988.

the 1972 and 1973 State Championship games (aka the Chicago Prep Bowl) were cool too - St Laurence with back-to-back "state" titles. I was in grade school and in attendance - fun times!

Good question, and the answer is 1976
St Laurence 22 - Glenbard West 21 in OT @ ISU - the game was played on a frozen tundra - old school astro-turf was frozen/iced over.
I believe that game set one combined team record that can never be broken - combined # of passes attempted by both teams = ZERO
Capped off a perfect 13-0 season for the Vikings

I was freezing just watching that game on television.

Reactions: Gene K.
1995 5A final. Maine South beats Mt. Carmel 31-28 on last second field goal. Great back and forth game. If I remember correctly, the lead changed hands a few times in the 2nd half.

Reactions: USD24
Dillon Panthers over West Cambria led by none other than Voodoo Tatum. Just a crushing loss for young Voodoo. Not sure if he ever played again.....

And the Libertyville/Glenbard West 7A title game from 2015 with Lees (sp? At Northwestern now) for Libertyville and Bodner(sp?) from GBW was a fantastic game as well. Game decided on the final drive. Tons of back and forth scoring. Think final was 34-28 and the Winning TD scored at the very end of the game.

1995 5A final. Maine South beats Mt. Carmel 31-28 on last second field goal. Great back and forth game. If I remember correctly, the lead changed hands a few times in the 2nd half.

That game was tied in OT. MS got a second chance on a field goal (and 15 yards) after a phantom roughing the kicker penalty.

That game was tied in OT. MS got a second chance on a field goal (and 15 yards) after a phantom roughing the kicker penalty.

The 1995 game did not go to OT. Of course, the next time the Hawks met the Caravan in the finals (2010), Mt. Carmel barely scored.

The 1995 game did not go to OT. Of course, the next time the Hawks met the Caravan in the finals (2010), Mt. Carmel barely scored.

I checked the IHSA records, and you're correct, it did not go to overtime. The gift kick was made as time was close to running out.

What does this have to do with the 2010 game? Do you have so few championships that you have to revert to this stuff? Let's line up our trophies.

I checked the IHSA records, and you're correct, it did not go to overtime. The gift kick was made as time was close to running out.

What does this have to do with the 2010 game? Do you have so few championships that you have to revert to this stuff? Let's line up our trophies.
Petty line about 2010, ‘95 was amazing for us, Brian Schmitz was kicker and beat Fenwick with a kick in SF and then Mt Carmel at state. Best game I saw at state was a heartbreaker for swag high when beast won 30-24 in double OT in ‘05 I think. It was one of 3 my little brother lost 3 in a row.

Be careful.We're only counting "Big Boy" trophies. Might come up on short end of that one.

Be careful.We're only counting "Big Boy" trophies. Might come up on short end of that one.
He is referring to trophies against Maine South, not JC. MC is obviously more storied and previous poster felt need to bring up MS win in 2010 championship for no reason at all.

This "swag" stuff is highly over-rated.

You were upset badly -- very badly -- by LA a few weeks back -- at home!

Swag that!

He is referring to trophies against Maine South, not JC. MC is obviously more storied and previous poster felt need to bring up MS win in 2010 championship for no reason at all.
I know exactly what was meant....And the gold standard is playing the last game on Saturday.Maine South has done pretty good on Saturday nights.Can't cherry pick for discussions....got to be one way or the other.Either only winning a trophy in the top class is all that matters,or they all matter.

Reactions: USD24

Not exactly "for no reason at all". MC63's comment regarding the phantom roughing the kicker penalty was a subtle attempt to discredit the win in 1995.

2007 Metamora over Morris 17-14 on a last second FG...

1996 Carterville over Stillman Valley 21-20..

2 games that stick out in my mind...

The 2009 7A game between Glenbard West and WWS was an unreal game. 31-24 2OT thriller. Followed up by a Quarterfinal rematch in 2010 and game on ESPN2 in 2011.

Not exactly "for no reason at all". MC63's comment regarding the phantom roughing the kicker penalty was a subtle attempt to discredit the win in 1995.

No, it was a blatant attempt to discredit that game in 1995.

That was a terrible call.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="4Anorth, post: 186518, .Can't cherry pick for discussions....got to be one way or the other.Either only winning a trophy in the top class is all that matters,or they all matter.[/QUOTE]

The ones that don't matter feature teams that play at a high level all season long, and then use that experience against far less sophisticated programs in the finals.

Montini and JCA should have been in 7A. They performed well against 7A teams for the first two months of the season, and should spend the third doing likewise.

Yawn
[QUOTE="4Anorth, post: 186518, .Can't cherry pick for discussions....got to be one way or the other.Either only winning a trophy in the top class is all that matters,or they all matter.

The ones that don't matter feature teams that play at a high level all season long, and then use that experience against far less sophisticated programs in the finals.

Montini and JCA should have been in 7A. They performed well against 7A teams for the first two months of the season, and should spend the third doing likewise.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="4Anorth, post: 186518, .Can't cherry pick for discussions....got to be one way or the other.Either only winning a trophy in the top class is all that matters,or they all matter.

Montini and JCA should have been in 7A. They performed well against 7A teams for the first two months of the season, and should spend the third doing likewise.[/QUOTE]
Good Lord... talk about beating a dead horse. Stop already! MC has a highly respected and storied enough of a program that you do not have to diminish other programs accomplishments. You must be losing valuable sleep knowing that Montini or JCA will inevitably add to their championships this weekend.

Congratulations to JCA for becoming the leader in IHSA history with the most 1st and 2nd place trophies this weekend, passing Chicago Mt Carmel 18 to 17 in that category.

Reactions: Dual-triple_threat

Montini and JCA should have been in 7A. They performed well against 7A teams for the first two months of the season, and should spend the third doing likewise.
Good Lord... talk about beating a dead horse. Stop already! MC has a highly respected and storied enough of a program that you do not have to diminish other programs accomplishments. You must be losing valuable sleep knowing that Montini or JCA will inevitably add to their championships this weekend.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations to JCA for becoming the leader in IHSA history with the most 1st and 2nd place trophies this weekend, passing Chicago Mt Carmel 18 to 17 in that category.

Who brags about coming in second?

Not us.

I read the Soucie article. He should be embarrassed saying something like that. Nobody cares about second.

Many of JCAs trophies, and those of Montini, Driscoll and Providence, come against small schools way beneath their level of sophistication. There, I've said it ... to the chagrin of some of you, but ... enjoy your morning.

Last edited:

I see someone was getting into the booze late yesterday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT