ADVERTISEMENT

Anything to sell newspapers.

The stats in this article are impaired by the blanket preface that "non-boundaried schools make up 27.1% of IHSA member schools." Since it goes on to list "% of championship appearances won by non-boundaried schools in the last 10 years," for 9 specific sports, the reader should really have the % of non-boundaried schools actually competing in each of those BY SPORT for truest comparison purposes.

Reactions: ignazio and HRCJR
I saw that only 9 sports were taken into consideration. That is out of the 31 sports that are offered by the IHSA

Sounds like somebody is cooking the books to me.

This is so 1990's...don't they realize that everyone recruits now public and non public

Do you really think the average downstate small school is recruiting kids?????? I have been following the Interstate 8/ICE schools for 20 years and I can think of maybe 4 kids that transferred into one of these schools from grades 7-12.... From my experience, the only recruiting going on there is when the private schools reach out to them, and then the public school coach will go make sure they aren't considering leaving the district.

Do you really think the average downstate small school is recruiting kids?????? I have been following the Interstate 8/ICE schools for 20 years and I can think of maybe 4 kids that transferred into one of these schools from grades 7-12.... From my experience, the only recruiting going on there is when the private schools reach out to them, and then the public school coach will go make sure they aren't considering leaving the district.

I think the average downstate schools still think it is 1990. That's why they have difficulty competing.

Maroa

In my experience the more rural single public high school towns do fit this public vs private pattern - very difficult or not feasible to get around public boundary rules in these towns so recruiting is only a private thing.

In suburbs and big metros everyone is moving around to position themselves best. Move the family, rent an apartment, transfer to a private, go live with an aunt, commute hours to a magnet/academy school, earn a “scholarship” to a private... a dozen different ways to skin the cat, but parents/coaches find the ways to get their kids to the school the think will serve their goals the best.

Percent of “championship appearances won” by non-boundaried schools over the past 10 seasons.

Championship appearances won is all you need to read to know how the writer is trying to spin the argument.

Again this was said with sarcasm...especially coming off a Sunday covering 7on7 etc....but the whole recruiting/transfer picture is without question much more than a private only recruiting issues these days in my opinion....and like every subject you always have exceptions...

Reactions: Quags57
Article is about Decatur and Bloomington. Two cities that have pretty strong "blanket" public districts that are thought to be the better choice over the "inner-city" public districts. Mt. Zion and Maroa-Forsyth are simply safety net districts for those who choose to work in Decatur but don't want to "live" in Decatur. Same goes for Metamora and Washington near Peoria. Glenwood, Rochester, Williamsville, Plains around Springfield. U-High is a convenient district within the BloNo market as an alternative to those two public systems.

In my opinion, those districts are as powerful in "recruiting" the same way most non-boundaried schools "recruit." Sure, a private school can send you a letter telling you how great their school is. But many find choosing to live in safety net communities to be equally appealing in today's economy.

Reactions: PanthersWildcats86

Making sure a kid isn't considering another option is recruiting kids to stay put. This is recruiting to some people.

Reactions: Quags57
Article is about Decatur and Bloomington. Two cities that have pretty strong "blanket" public districts that are thought to be the better choice over the "inner-city" public districts. Mt. Zion and Maroa-Forsyth are simply safety net districts for those who choose to work in Decatur but don't want to "live" in Decatur. Same goes for Metamora and Washington near Peoria. Glenwood, Rochester, Williamsville, Plains around Springfield. U-High is a convenient district within the BloNo market as an alternative to those two public systems.

In my opinion, those districts are as powerful in "recruiting" the same way most non-boundaried schools "recruit." Sure, a private school can send you a letter telling you how great their school is. But many find choosing to live in safety net communities to be equally appealing in today's economy.

There are different types of recruiting to be sure...

The recruiting that everyone gets upset with the when the individual athlete gets recruited to the private school for purely athletic purposes...strangely enough you never hear about this kind of recruiting for band, or choir, or scholastic bowl...

Public districts, without school choice like CPS, recruit but differently. They recruit the family to move in to the district so the kid(s) can go to school there. If Dad gets transferred to Kankakee to work, it is more likely that he will not move to the City of Kankakee if he is bringing the family. He will move to Bradley, Bourbonnais, Manteno, or Herscher because the school districts are better. 50 years ago, maybe Dad moves to Kankakee and sends the kids to McNamara. But not as much anymore. Your "safety net" point is right on with the public districts for a family moving into the area. The safety net schools are probably more important in Decatur, Peoria and Kankakee than they are for Bloomington-Normal....

Your recruiting in the ICE area for example more depends on what the children are into...Band? Maybe Herscher, which has a long history with an impressive band & orchestra program. Show choir / chorus? Maybe Manteno, which has built a powerhouse program. Pole vault? Reed Custer, with the indoor track and great success with vaulters. Wrestling? Wilmington or Coal City, maybe RC. I think I've made my point...parents choose school districts for what they overall can provide what their kids need, but they start in the safety zone.

I hear the new principal for 2020-21 at Oswego has a kid that is pretty good at football. Hopefully he recruits well too :)

Is that recruiting if the family moves to an area that is in the schools district? It’s not like living in Orland Park and attending Providence or MC. If the family moves then they committed to at least make a change in their life. Maybe the IHSA should just wave the rule and allow all families to decide what school the prefer to attend public or private?

Is that recruiting if the family moves to an area that is in the schools district? It’s not like living in Orland Park and attending Providence or MC. If the family moves then they committed to at least make a change in their life. Maybe the IHSA should just wave the rule and allow all families to decide what school the prefer to attend public or private?

No, that's not recruiting. That wasn't necessarily the point though. What I'm saying is, a mortgage with smaller payment amounts than tuition costs per semester/year and a safe community to live in are just as powerful as the education benefits many associate with private education. That's removing athletics completely. I'm not saying families choose certain public districts because of sport often. I don't think that's necessarily the case. But, when a "suburban" or neighboring community's public district is decent, success in athletics tends to align (i.e. Rochester, Williamsville, Plains, Glenwood near Springfield). And as this as my example it's also quite convenient that you can have a Springfield address and still send your kids to those 4 schools. It's a much easier way to "avoid" the public districts you choose to not be associated with.

So yes, they've committed to a change in their life, so to speak. But, they've not necessarily committed to living in those communities full time. It's very obvious to see downstate. Up north I'm sure those lines get awfully blurry. I'm not as well versed on how things work up north but down here I can say that this is a trend that won't soon end.

No, that's not recruiting. That wasn't necessarily the point though. What I'm saying is, a mortgage with smaller payment amounts than tuition costs per semester/year and a safe community to live in are just as powerful as the education benefits many associate with private education. That's removing athletics completely. I'm not saying families choose certain public districts because of sport often. I don't think that's necessarily the case. But, when a "suburban" or neighboring community's public district is decent, success in athletics tends to align (i.e. Rochester, Williamsville, Plains, Glenwood near Springfield). And as this as my example it's also quite convenient that you can have a Springfield address and still send your kids to those 4 schools. It's a much easier way to "avoid" the public districts you choose to not be associated with.

So yes, they've committed to a change in their life, so to speak. But, they've not necessarily committed to living in those communities full time. It's very obvious to see downstate. Up north I'm sure those lines get awfully blurry. I'm not as well versed on how things work up north but down here I can say that this is a trend that won't soon end.
It's the same up here for the communities surrounding the Aurora Area.

So you are saying that if people choose to go to a private school they aren't committed to living in a community?

So you are saying that if people choose to go to a private school they aren't committed to living in a community?

Not at all. In context, I was simply trying to point out that you can live in one city/town, technically, but your child goes to another city/town for school. It is similar to some situations for those that do choose private education though, sure. The point, moreover, was that choosing to live in a public district outside of the city you may live in is an option equally and/or more appealing, in my opinion, than choosing the private school in the city you reside. Thus, "recruiting" is a murky word if this is the case. Private schools have to recruit, or they close. Many public districts grow or succeed simply do to proximity to a lesser public district. With private school numbers dropping, in some places more drastically than others, it's only fair to assume that "recruiting" is a failing art. Suburban/Neighboring districts are thriving more than ever.

Last edited:
Again this was said with sarcasm...especially coming off a Sunday covering 7on7 etc....but the whole recruiting/transfer picture is without question much more than a private only recruiting issues these days in my opinion....and like every subject you always have exceptions...
Lockport basketball in the 60's and 70's...as one example

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT