ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone want to coach at Brother Rice?

Looks likes it mostly lower level. Coaching turnover is pretty common at the Freshman and Soph level. There is little to no money in it. Some use it as a resume builder for a bigger gig and some get moved up to Varsity. Since 2016 MC had 4 different head Soph and Freshman coaches and numerous assistants in and out the door. BR’s Freshman won the CCL Blue and the Soph went 7-2 so it wasn’t because of underperforming last season. Lyons son will be playing College Ball next season at St. Thomas maybe he wants to devote time to that. Not sure what it is but it’s not uncommon, especially nowadays.

Looks likes it mostly lower level. Coaching turnover is pretty common at the Freshman and Soph level. There is little to no money in it. Some use it as a resume builder for a bigger gig and some get moved up to Varsity. Since 2016 MC had 4 different head Soph and Freshman coaches and numerous assistants in and out the door. BR’s Freshman won the CCL Blue and the Soph went 7-2 so it wasn’t because of underperforming last season. Lyons son will be playing College Ball next season at St. Thomas maybe he wants to devote time to that. Not sure what it is but it’s not uncommon, especially nowadays.
All true. How common is it schools go to Twitter to fill the vacancies? Not a good look that’s for sure.

All true. How common is it schools go to Twitter to fill the vacancies? Not a good look that’s for sure.
Why? Currently Twitter is how teams go to market when looking for games and considering there are many coaches on Twitter and many guys with 1000’s of followers a few retweets and they should be flush with applicants.

Your post should have just said I’ll tell you I’m a dinosaur without telling you I’m a dinosaur.

Why? Currently Twitter is how teams go to market when looking for games and considering there are many coaches on Twitter and many guys with 1000’s of followers a few retweets and they should be flush with applicants.

Your post should have just said I’ll tell you I’m a dinosaur without telling you I’m a dinosaur.
Well clownbaby…….. I hate to inform you about the long long long lists of Alumnae that are drooling for these positions. If BR can’t fill these spots internally without going to Twitter something is drastically wrong over there. Looks desperate if you ask me…. But what do I know? I’m a dinosaur. Stick to what you think you know!

Last edited:
Well clownbaby…….. I hate to inform you about the long long long lists of Alumnae that are drooling for these positions. If BR can’t fill these spots internally without going to Twitter something is drastically wrong over there. Looks desperate if you ask me…. But what do I know? I’m a dinosaur. Stick to what you think you know!
well considering that a majority of BR football twitter followers are rice alums, there goes a good part of your pretzel logic and oh Rice must surely have something bad going on when others like Harvard and IMG promote open positions on twitter and facebook and instagram (which is where most are getting info from instead of the print edition of The Dailyy Southtown) - so keep your ragging, we all find it quite amusing

Really odd take

Reactions: 3OrangeWhips
well considering that a majority of BR football twitter followers are rice alums, there goes a good part of your pretzel logic and oh Rice must surely have something bad going on when others like Harvard and IMG promote open positions on twitter and facebook and instagram (which is where most are getting info from instead of the print edition of The Dailyy Southtown) - so keep your ragging, we all find it quite amusing
Glad to hear the edgey mob finds it amusing. We find it amusing that BR is currently looking to replace their entire lower level coaching staffs as if that’s an everyday occurrence and shouldn’t raise any kindS of questions or sound alarm bells. When was the last time one of your counterparts was searching for entire new coaching staffs at the Freshman and sophomore levels via social media? Has to be the entire staffs because head coaches and coordinators bring In the assistants. Feel free to keep using IMG and Harvards posts as a red herring if it makes you feel better. Because “we” find the false equivalency even more amusing.
[/QUOTE]

Really odd take
For the record, Coach Q at BR did an amazing job in his first year in the helm. For a program that graduated a ton the previous year from a semi-final team to boot. Thought the defense looked better than it had in years under Badke.

That said, if your beloved JC Hilltoppers with a storied history were looking to replace entire coaching staffs at both their lower levels from an out of state first year coach that wouldn’t raise any type of concern or red flags ? Wether good or bad ? With a Twitter meme and no links to the school to apply on top of it?

Perhaps they moved lower level coaches like Tim Lyons who’s been coaching football for years at BR up to the varsity level which would explain this a bit more.

Last edited:
That said, if your beloved JC Hilltoppers with a storied history were looking to replace entire coaching staffs at both their lower levels from an out of state first year coach that wouldn’t raise any type of concern or red flags ? Wether good or bad ? With a Twitter meme and no links to the school to apply on top of it?
Maybe it's just a case of the new coach wanting to bring in his own people in his second year in the program.

Reactions: Vincennes6410
He can't be cleaning house due to the results at the lower levels. Looking at their sports webpage for football the freshmen only loss was to St. Rita by 3 TD's and the sophomores by 2 TD's to Loyola. That's an impressive record. Most CCL coaches at the lower levels are alumni who do it for little or no money at all. As posted above most people who read BR's twitter stuff are already involved in the program. If he's replacing alumni with people who have no connection to the school he could be looking to just upgrade the staff. But that could have some negative results. The life blood of the CCL and ESCC schools is alumni donations. If he's just filling openings and has the schools management blessing then there is nothing to see here.

Last edited:
Could not disagree more. Going to Twitter and other social media platforms are going to get more exposure to the positions than anything else you could do. It is becoming more and more common practice. Todays young coach are much more likely to see a post for a job on Twitter than seeing it on your school website.

One former lower level coach no longer has kids in the program. One former lower level coach will be in a different role with the program. One former lower level coach took a job with a public school. And Coach Q is “adding” a position for another varsity assistant.

They aren’t replacing “entire” lower level staffs. We’re talking 3-4 openings out of 10-12?

I think there’s flexibility with existing frosh and soph coaches and maybe if a new coach is a better fit for one of the lower level positions then they’ll gladly coach whichever position is needed.

Thank you for your interest in BR football’s LOWER LEVEL coaching staffs.

Last edited:
Glad to hear the edgey mob finds it amusing. We find it amusing that BR is currently looking to replace their entire lower level coaching staffs as if that’s an everyday occurrence and shouldn’t raise any kindS of questions or sound alarm bells. When was the last time one of your counterparts was searching for entire new coaching staffs at the Freshman and sophomore levels via social media? Has to be the entire staffs because head coaches and coordinators bring In the assistants. Feel free to keep using IMG and Harvards posts as a red herring if it makes you feel better. Because “we” find the false equivalency even more amusing.
[/QUOTE]
Good to see you're so concerned - you should apply for one of the positions and get to the bottom of what could be the greatest mysteries in Mt Greenwood... my guess is Coach Q has a sinister plan to replace his staff with ninja robots (only time will tell- stay tuned - Detective V will keep us posted)

One former lower level coach no longer has kids in the program. One former lower level coach will be in a different role with the program. One former lower level coach took a job with a public school. And Coach Q is “adding” a position for another varsity assistant.

They aren’t replacing “entire” lower level staffs. We’re talking 3-4 openings out of 10-12?

I think there’s flexibility with existing frosh and soph coaches and maybe if a new coach is a better fit for one of the lower level positions then they’ll gladly coach whichever position is needed.

Thank you for your interest in BR football’s LOWER LEVEL coaching staffs.
You’re welcome. The inner workings of these private schools is very intriguing in all honesty.
BR passed on legendary player and coach Jimmy Sexton when they hired Bobby Frazier. That didn’t work out very well. Just curious….. These lower level coaches that have moved on and or up…. What exactly were the roles they played at the lower level football program? Im guessing the departures do not equate to 2 head coaches and 2 coordinators? If you’re implying those are not the 2 most important coaching positions….. ? #100MPH!

Last edited:
You’re welcome. The inner workings of these private schools is very intriguing in all honesty.
BR passed on legendary player and coach Jimmy Sexton when they hired Bobby Frazier. That didn’t work out very well. Just curious….. These lower level coaches that have moved on and or up…. What exactly were the roles they played at the lower level football program? Im guessing the departures do not equate to 2 head coaches and 2 coordinators? If you’re implying those are not the 2 most important coaching positions….. ? #100MPH!
Frasor worked out great- he won a couple of titles and stabilized the program. He left the program in good hands and new coach seems to be doing well. Sexton is a good coach (did well at Laurence and doing well at EP) - however he was not better fit than Bobby. As for the lower level coach "details" since you're obsessing so much about it and won't take whips on face value then why not email him at cquedenfeld@brrice.org and who knows maybe you can apply to be the new Frosh coach? Please keep us posted on this pressing issue

BR passed on legendary player and coach Jimmy Sexton when they hired Bobby Frazier. That didn’t work out very well. Just curious….. These lower level coaches that have moved on and or up…. What exactly were the roles they played at the lower level football program? Im guessing the departures do not equate to 2 head coaches and 2 coordinators? If you’re implying those are not by the 2 most important coaching positions….. ? #100MPH!
Bobby coached at BR for 7 years and did very well ( 2 CCL Championships)…Just curious, how many Basketball Championships did MC win in those 7 years?

Frasor won 72 percent of his games at Rice. What exactly would be working out well? Might be time to sit this one out.

Back to the topic at hand -

Think it's safe to say about 90% of southside lower level staffs are either alums or guys who've been around the program a long time at various levels. While it's not totally uncommon to promote lower level vacancies on Twitter, I think from a southside perspective people might see it as BR struggling to fill those with interested alums vs asking any coaches willing to work with lower levels to apply. Just need to be careful about trying to find the "best" lower level coaches available who just create more turnover.

Reactions: Vincennes6410

Think it's safe to say about 90% of southside lower level staffs are either alums or guys who've been around the program a long time at various levels. While it's not totally uncommon to promote lower level vacancies on Twitter, I think from a southside perspective people might see it as BR struggling to fill those with interested alums vs asking any coaches willing to work with lower levels to apply. Just need to be careful about trying to find the "best" lower level coaches available who just create more turnover.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't BR the first CCL school to not do the "Southside" thing? Didn't they just go out and bring guy in from the outside to run the program? Too many schools fall into the trap of this is how its always been done so its how it should be done. Private schools have to be innovative and forward thinking or they won't be around in few years I think approaching things differently is good thing.

Good to see you're so concerned - you should apply for one of the positions and get to the bottom of what could be the greatest mysteries in Mt Greenwood... my guess is Coach Q has a sinister plan to replace his staff with ninja robots (only time will tell- stay tuned - Detective V will keep us posted)
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
Frasor won 72 percent of his games at Rice. What exactly would be working out well? Might be time to sit this one out.
Absolutely he did well. Not knocking his accomplishments as a coach. His abrupt departure and commitment to the school is another story. The guy they passed on is still coaching HS basketball is the point. Maybe you should sit this one out?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't BR the first CCL school to not do the "Southside" thing? Didn't they just go out and bring guy in from the outside to run the program? Too many schools fall into the trap of this is how its always been done so its how it should be done. Private schools have to be innovative and forward thinking or they won't be around in few years I think approaching things differently is good thing.
Absolutely. Coach Q did a great job this season as I stated in my comments above. Curious as to the lower level openings is all.

And that’s where my curiosity lies. As if it’s not a logical question where all these coaches went and why. Any alums involved in the program wouldn’t need to find a Twitter post to find out there are coaching vacancies at the lower levels. And nobody seems to be able to provide an answer…. Pretty simple question if you ask me.

Frasor worked out great- he won a couple of titles and stabilized the program. He left the program in good hands and new coach seems to be doing well. Sexton is a good coach (did well at Laurence and doing well at EP) - however he was not better fit than Bobby. As for the lower level coach "details" since you're obsessing so much about it and won't take whips on face value then why not email him at cquedenfeld@brrice.org and who knows maybe you can apply to be the new Frosh coach? Please keep us posted on this pressing issue
He worked out so great he abruptly quit his job is my point. Sexton put the work and time in and was passed over for the job. The point is, one guy is still coaching HS basketball and one isn’t. So again I’ll ask, how’d that work out for BR?

Not a soul has answered the question about all the vacancies so why would anyone take whips explanation? Imagine if Jordan Lynch or Todd Kuska or John Holecek posted all those lower level vacancies for coaches via Twitter. Nobody would find it odd or ask any questions? I’m sure you’d be the first one asking the same questions.

Last edited:
Why don’t you apply and maybe you’d be able to shed some insight. Commitment and longevity is the key to successful HS programs. Not someone who abandons his team/kids and throws a temper tantrum when things don’t work out the way he wants in the building. Sexton is a grown up the other guy….. Not so much!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT