ADVERTISEMENT

Any Wrestling fans?

Congrats to the Coalers on making the finals & the Second place trophy in their first year in 2A...and if I read the listing right, they are going back to 1A next year.as the 1A/2A cutoff jumps to the high 700's....Congrats to Peotone in qualifying for state...Aurora Christian losing to Lena-Winslow, probably hoping they don't ever see them again after ending both football and wrestling with resounding losses to Lena...

All coaching

It's a mix of a lot of things including coaching, work ethic, talent, dedication to the program and wrestling the toughest schedule in the state every year.

This year they traveled from the west coast in California to the east coast in New Jersey seeking the best talent to wrestle in the nation.

The head coach is very well known and was a 3x State Champ in high school finishing high school with a 118-1 record.

One assistant coach is a 4x State Champ given the nickname as Superman in high school as he only lost 1 or 2 times during his high school career.

Another assistant coach is a well known MMA fighter/Clay Guida.

So there are many things that go into Montini's success and they finished being ranked #5 in the nation this year.

It's a mix of a lot of things including coaching, work ethic, talent, dedication to the program and wrestling the toughest schedule in the state every year.

This year they traveled from the west coast in California to the east coast in New Jersey seeking the best talent to wrestle in the nation.

The head coach is very well known and was a 3x State Champ in high school finishing high school with a 118-1 record.

One assistant coach is a 4x State Champ given the nickname as Superman in high school as he only lost 1 or 2 times during his high school career.

Another assistant coach is a well known MMA fighter/Clay Guida.

So there are many things that go into Montini's success and they finished being ranked #5 in the nation this year.
Where's the money coming from for all this travel? Is there a big wrestling donor? I've heard of 1 trip for a team but seems like these guys have had a handful.

Did you see this match yesterday?

Picc from Oklahoma State beats Lee from Iowa. The Oklahoma State crowd goes absolutely nuts! Listen to the crowd!

Why can't they put these matches on tv??

With Lockport becoming an elite wresting program Providence is probably finding it more difficult to recruit the top wrestlers from the area.

Providence has won 10 state titles, 6 seconds and 6 thirds.
I understand that, all I’m saying is Marmion has established a very strong position as one of the top teams in the state over an extended period of time.

Reactions: Gene K.
With Lockport becoming an elite wresting program Providence is probably finding it more difficult to recruit the top wrestlers from the area.
Lockport as well as the opening of Lincoln Way West essentially right down the street.

Did you see this match yesterday?

Picc from Oklahoma State beats Lee from Iowa. The Oklahoma State crowd goes absolutely nuts! Listen to the crowd!

Why can't they put these matches on tv??

Great scene - here's another angle:

If you want great wrestling coverage, you need to pony up for a Flo subscription (founded by Catholic League guys!).

Reactions: Wassup13 and Bwm57
Absolutely plus JCA taking wrestlers. Another Healy disciple at the helm there.

Daddy daddy daddy! I missed this one earlier... a PERFECT EXAMPLE of a comment based on association. Ryan Cumbee WOULD NOT claim to a Healy disciple! Your losing more and more credibility!
“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.”

Daddy daddy daddy! I missed this one earlier... a PERFECT EXAMPLE of a comment based on association. Ryan Cumbee WOULD NOT claim to a Healy disciple! Your losing more and more credibility!
“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.”
Your losing.”
You’re ...

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
As stated prior, I have no historical knitof the past relationships between Healy and his wrestlers. Keith is a great guy and has done wonders for PC and the Illinois High School wrestling. Was there some shaky times over the last 5-6 years? Sure there was. But that is life. Nothing or nobody is perfect.

Thanks for calling me a fool BTW.

Wrestling is over, let’s move on, baseball is starting. Go Celtics!

As stated prior, I have no historical knitof the past relationships between Healy and his wrestlers. Keith is a great guy and has done wonders for PC and the Illinois High School wrestling. Was there some shaky times over the last 5-6 years? Sure there was. But that is life. Nothing or nobody is perfect.

Thanks for calling me a fool BTW.

Wrestling is over, let’s move on, baseball is starting. Go Celtics!
*knitof meant knowledge

Congrats to the Coalers on making the finals & the Second place trophy in their first year in 2A...and if I read the listing right, they are going back to 1A next year.as the 1A/2A cutoff jumps to the high 700's....Congrats to Peotone in qualifying for state...Aurora Christian losing to Lena-Winslow, probably hoping they don't ever see them again after ending both football and wrestling with resounding losses to Lena...

Aurora Christian beat Lena-Winslow in the 2018 quarterfinals on their way to winning the state championship. AC takes 2nd place this year. Not terrible.

To say "hoping they don't ever see them again" is not accurate. Competitors like facing challenges.

What about Marmion and Aurora Christian?

Late to the game on this thread...
Aurora Christian took 2nd in 1A
Marmion took 3rd in 3A.

AC sent 8 individual qualifiers with 2 winning state titles. Only 3 graduating seniors so AC will be a contender again in the 2020 season.

106 - Joel Mylin -State Champion
120 - Nathan Orosco - 3rd place
126 - Cameron Johnson - State runner-up (separated his shoulder during championship match)
132 - Noah Villarreal - State Champion
138 - Zeke Marshall - 4th place
160 - Jack Certa
170 - Alex Knauf
182 - Julian Jaimes

Aurora Christian beat Lena-Winslow in the 2018 quarterfinals on their way to winning the state championship. AC takes 2nd place this year. Not terrible.

To say "hoping they don't ever see them again" is not accurate. Competitors like facing challenges.

Sarcasm & Irony. It usually is the private power that ends a great season for the public school...And to do it twice in one year, the football quarters (at home, no less) and wrestling state championship...

As good as Naz is, if I were this young man's father, I'd send him to IMG. No question about it. Gotta think big picture.

But becoming the starting QB at IMG might be as competitive as college. What if you transfer there and ride the bench, then what?
Not only that, the kid is already gaining national interest. He's DEFINITELY not going to get a better education at IMG either.

Not only that, the kid is already gaining national interest. He's DEFINITELY not going to get a better education at IMG either.

Non of them are going there for the education. It’s a necessary evil to these parents and kids.
Talk about having your priorities mixed up. Less then 1% will even go to college and let’s not even talk about the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT