ADVERTISEMENT

Any Wrestling fans?

MC sending 8 down, 7 I think are underclassmen. Probably would have 9 but our heavyweight Jalen Grant missed regionals to attend a Nationwide Linemen Competition in Louisiana where he dominated some 4 star linemen and won MVP..... He’ll be back for the team meet though....They are looking real good for a long time....that damn Montini team though!

Reactions: Gene K. and MS4EVER
Hey M-S,
How about 220# in the CSL?
E-Town-Abraham-Ranked 1st
M-S-Kelly-Beat Belizzi yesterday
M-W-Bellizzi-Ranked 3rd
GBN-Williiams-Ranked 6th

Reactions: Gene K. and MS4EVER
Have a look at the private school domination of the 3A Sectional @ Bolingbrook yesterday via the qualifier results accessible via the IHSA website. I am not a stakeholder in this tournament, but nevertheless...

Congrats to all! Anyone who has ever wrestled knows how brutal the sport is.
Nothing I ever did in football, baseball or others Sports even came close to the physical workout of wrestling. The absolute worst was a match that went 3 full periods followed by 3 overtime periods ending in referee's decision. I had that happen twice and by then I was so tired, I couldn't care less who won, even though I think I got both decisions. Just do not make me wrestle anymore this day.

Marist had 5 qualifiers, up from 2 a year ago. Our 182 lb, Nowling, started wrestling as a freshman. Great football player and sprinter. Wrestles first two years, but doesn’t wrestle as a Jr to play 7 on 7 instead. Told his teammates if he gets a D1 scholarship he will come back to wrestling Sr year. Usually, once a kid quits wrestling, they never come back. Well he got a scholarship to Eastern Michigan and came back out. Still ridiculously raw, but very athletic. Pinned his way through wrestle-backs to make it to the third place match. Has. MS halvorson first match unfortunately, but a grest story.

Reactions: Gene K. and pjjp
Nothing I ever did in football, baseball or others Sports even came close to the physical workout of wrestling. The absolute worst was a match that went 3 full periods followed by 3 overtime periods ending in referee's decision. I had that happen twice and by then I was so tired, I couldn't care less who won, even though I think I got both decisions. Just do not make me wrestle anymore this day.
A pair of 1A 220s went three OTs yesterday. Carlyle kid remains undefeated on the year.

MS 182 Halvorson beat the top ranked wrestler in the weight class and avenged an earlier loss.
Yeah, that was a huge win over Assad.
Don’t be surprised if they meet again down in Champaign.

Have a look at the private school domination of the 3A Sectional @ Bolingbrook yesterday via the qualifier results accessible via the IHSA website. I am not a stakeholder in this tournament, but nevertheless...
Yes, but part of the recent CCL domination has been due to the SWSC being hugely down from where they were a few years ago.
It wasn’t too long ago that there was a valid annual debate as to the best wrestling conference between the CCL and the SWSC.
Lately it’s been no contest.

Reactions: Gene K.
Provi sending 4 to state including a freshman. Not bad for a young and upcoming squad. Donnie R will have Providence back to elite status soon!

Saw the freshman, Ryan Boersma, won the sectional at 220. I'll bet not many freshmen have won a sectional at that weight class.
You are correct. Kid is good! Great moves and speed. Great things in store for him in the next 3 years.

Provi sending 4 to state including a freshman. Not bad for a young and upcoming squad. Donnie R will have Providence back to elite status soon!
I remember when they would send the entire team down and most of them placed. PC and MC used to have classic duel meets.

P-C really had it going in the late 90's to the early 2000's. Didn't they win 6 in a row?
Getting back to that level and challenging Montini will be no easy feat.
It will be fun to watch and good for the sport.
This year it seems to be Montini. Then a gap. Then Oak Park. Then another gap. Then a few others.
Dekalb has had a nice year and from what I have read and is young.
Good luck to all competing this weekend.

Reactions: Gene K.
Halvorsen vs. Assad rematch tonight for State Title!!!

The first match was awesome. Assad seemed to be the aggressor but got caught at the end. The rematch should be really good.

I have a grandson wrestling varsity as a freshman at 152. He is doing good against the seniors. Very proud of him. He plays LB in football. Wrestling is a great sport and yes the conditioning is at another level.

Reactions: MS4EVER
Discovered a JCA kid (Dean Hamiti) won State at 126 lbs (2A) and he's only a sophomore.

But he won 2 of his matches by what looks like a "Technical Fall" by gaining a lead of 15 points (or more). It was marked TF-1.5 1:51 15-0 and TF-1.5 3:33 18-3. It looks like if at anytime you are winning by 15 points (or more) the match is stopped and they award a (TF-1.5) "Technical Fall". Is that right? I've never heard of this before, but it makes sense.

Reactions: Wassup13
I’m more partial to William Fritz Afflis and Reginald Lisowski and their classic matches with James Donald Raschke and Jack Barton Adkisson.

Hamiti from JCA was dominant all of the way though the finals.

The first match was awesome. Assad seemed to be the aggressor but got caught at the end. The rematch should be really good.

I have a grandson wrestling varsity as a freshman at 152. He is doing good against the seniors. Very proud of him. He plays LB in football. Wrestling is a great sport and yes the conditioning is at another level.
Wrestling for LWE?

Hamiti from JCA was dominant all of the way though the finals.
Speaking of dominant, I saw that the kid from Fulton (Eli Pannell) won state at 220 lbs (class 1A) he won every match at state by Pin Fall and finished his season 39-0.

I realize that's small schools but that's still very impressive.

Reactions: MS4EVER
Coal City in its first year up in 2A is sending 8. Five footballers in the mix.

Two titles and a third place...The Coalers have Dixon in the sectional at Sandwich, and Dixon only had two state qualifiers - a sixth at 170...170 is likely the match of the night, as state qualifiers face off...Coalers had all 14 qualify for individual sectionals, Dixon had 8.

Reactions: MS4EVER and Gene K.
Wrestling for LWE?

Yes
He didn’t wrestle his Sr year because of Football recruiting. He to this day regrets that decision. He said he should of wrestled. I have a grandson that wrestles here in Ohio at 152. He is a freshman wrestling on varsity. We get to watch him. He is getting better everyday and should be a beast by the time he is a senior.

Any idea who won 2A & 1A? I was mainly curious how Coal City did in 2A. I just looked on the IHSA wrestling website and that hasn't been updated past the Quarter finals yet.

Oops found them: (Edit)

Coal City finished 2nd to Washington in 2A
and Lena won 1A

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT