ADVERTISEMENT

Alliance of American Football (AAF.com)

Cat Box

Sep 23, 2012
So this new professional football league begins their inaugural season on February 9th. There are 8 teams and will play a 10-game season. All the teams are down south and out west.
  • Arizona Hotshots
  • Atlanta Legends
  • Birmingham Iron
  • Memphis Express
  • Orlando Appollos
  • Salt Lake Stallions
  • San Antonio Commanders
  • San Diego Fleet
No teams in the Midwest. I will root for the Salt Lake Stallions because they have Joel Bouagnon (Aurora Christian - Northern Illinois University) on their roster. Should be interesting to see how this new league fares.

I really enjoyed the USFL back in 1982-1985. Hopefully the league is successful and Chicago can get a team in the future...

So this new professional football league begins their inaugural season on February 9th. There are 8 teams and will play a 10-game season. All the teams are down south and out west.
  • Arizona Hotshots
  • Atlanta Legends
  • Birmingham Iron
  • Memphis Express
  • Orlando Appollos
  • Salt Lake Stallions
  • San Antonio Commanders
  • San Diego Fleet
No teams in the Midwest. I will root for the Salt Lake Stallions because they have Joel Bouagnon (Aurora Christian - Northern Illinois University) on their roster. Should be interesting to see how this new league fares.

I really enjoyed the USFL back in 1982-1985. Hopefully the league is successful and Chicago can get a team in the future...
Which team got He Hate Me?

• Arizona Hotshots
  • Atlanta Legends
  • Birmingham Iron
  • Memphis Express
  • Orlando Appollos
  • Salt Lake Stallions
  • San Antonio Commanders
  • San Diego Fleet

Ty Isaac is playing for the Birmingham Iron.

Players average $75k/season.
At what point do you go start a career?

That's a heck of a lot more than most 24 year olds make. The average household income in this county is about $60k. In my opinion, you go and start another career when they cut you, not before.

Reactions: Cross Bones
For a 10 week season that’s $7500 per game. Not terrible.

But is it worth the long term damage? Odds are very slim these guys are going to be discovered and make it back to the NFL, a few will but for most this it.

But is it worth the long term damage? Odds are very slim these guys are going to be discovered and make it back to the NFL, a few will but for most this it.

If you love the sport, if it’s your passion, you play as long as you can.

Less damage than they took in college for free*

*yea I know they got a diploma, but that was maybe a 6 figure cost over nearly 50 games.

Less damage than they took in college for free*

*yea I know they got a diploma, but that was maybe a 6 figure cost over nearly 50 games.

It’s just added damage for not much reward.

I know people say college athletes play for free but playing big time college athletics gives you access to opportunities most students could never dream of so you’re etter off striking while the iron is hot instead of getting beat up in the minor leagues.

Reactions: go dogz
Someone will move from this league to The League. So IMO it might be worth 75k and a limp.

75k for a spring of playing football. Unless these guys majored in mechanical engineering, accounting, or nursing they are not coming close to that at 22 or 23 years of age. And 99 percent of them didn't major in those things. They majored in sociology and recreation management. Nothing wrong with that, but you're looking at long hours, entry level work, and if you're lucky 40 to 50k.

Why not make a few bucks and have a lot more free time for a few years? The rat race will always be there. Maybe make some connections in the new town you're playing in. Plus get 9 months off every year to work out and enjoy a beach somewhere. It beats working at northwestern mutual.

Reactions: USD24 and go dogz
75k for a spring of playing football. Unless these guys majored in mechanical engineering, accounting, or nursing they are not coming close to that at 22 or 23 years of age. And 99 percent of them didn't major in those things. They majored in sociology and recreation management. Nothing wrong with that, but you're looking at long hours, entry level work, and if you're lucky 40 to 50k.

Why not make a few bucks and have a lot more free time for a few years? The rat race will always be there. Maybe make some connections in the new town you're playing in. Plus get 9 months off every year to work out and enjoy a beach somewhere. It beats working at northwestern mutual.

agree totally. or become a teacher and a coach.

• Arizona Hotshots
  • Atlanta Legends
  • Birmingham Iron
  • Memphis Express
  • Orlando Appollos
  • Salt Lake Stallions
  • San Antonio Commanders
  • San Diego Fleet
No teams in the Midwest.
Memphis is kind of Midwest, isn't it?

75K is not for the whole year. It's for 10 weeks. That's pretty damned good money. Then they can go out and get other jobs during the off season. They make far more than guys in minor league baseball per week.

Iron workers, loggers and guys who work on fishing boats don't make anywhere near 7,500 a week. And their work is far more dangerous.

Reactions: go dogz
Stadium locations for each team...
  • Arizona Hotshots @ Sun Devil Stadium (ASU) Tempe AZ
  • Atlanta Legends @ Georgia State Stadium - Atlanta GA
  • Birmingham Iron @ Legion Field (UAB) Birmingham AL
  • Memphis Express @ U of Memphis - Liberty Bowl
  • Orlando Apollos @ UCF Spectrum Stadium
  • Salt Lake Stallions @ U of Utah - Rice Eccles Stadium
  • San Antonio Commanders @ AlamoDome
  • San Diego Fleet @ San Diego County Credit Union Stadium (formerly Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium) home of SDSU Aztecs.
Some pretty good stadium venues. Should be interesting.

agree totally. or become a teacher and a coach.
Yep. If they love the game they will play in the spring and then substitute teach and coach JV football in the fall. Make 75k in the spring and 15k or 20k in the fall. Heck of a deal for a young kid without a concrete work world skill.

I am impressed by some of the head coaching selections...
  • Arizona Hotshots - Rick Neuheisel (former U of Colorado 1995-1999 and U of Washington 1999-2002)
  • Atlanta Legends - Michael Vick (Offensive Coordinator)
  • Birmingham Iron -
  • Memphis Express - Mike Singletary
  • Orlando Apollos - Steve Spurrier
  • Salt Lake Stallions - Dennis Erickson
  • San Antonio Commanders
  • San Diego Fleet - Mike Martz
I am VERY excited to see Mike Singletary, Steve Spurrier, Dennis Erickson and Mike Martz coach again. Those will be very interesting, indeed.

Not sure what to expect from Michael Vick as an Offensive Coordinator. He he ever coached?

Reactions: Gene K.

Think of it an extended Practice Squad of depth for NFL teams.
I myself was surprised to learn how many bodies NFL teams invite in for looks during the season.
This provides more game tape of able-bodied prospects for their Personnel folks to review and how the players perform within & against NFL scheming.
A few years ago I would have agreed with you, but I envision more than a "slim" number getting signed by NFL squads ---- maybe not many NFL starters but bodies for NFL rosters.

Think of it an extended Practice Squad of depth for NFL teams.
I myself was surprised to learn how many bodies NFL teams invite in for looks during the season.
This provides more game tape of able-bodied prospects for their Personnel folks to review and how the players perform within & against NFL scheming.
A few years ago I would have agreed with you, but I envision more than a "slim" number getting signed by NFL squads ---- maybe not many NFL starters but bodies for NFL rosters.
It will do really well if the NFL eventually allows certain rostered players to play in it. With expanded offseason rosters though, many guys are gonna sign their futures contract with little to no guaranteed money and be barred from participating with another league. Those are all your fringe guys already.

It will do really well if the NFL eventually allows certain rostered players to play in it. With expanded offseason rosters though, many guys are gonna sign their futures contract with little to no guaranteed money and be barred from participating with another league. Those are all your fringe guys already.

Maybe so

I was speaking to my son this evening about the new league. He thought it might grow into a landing place for players, who after a year of college ball, might not want to return to, or are not suited for college, for whatever reason.

Why so much discussion about defining what this league is? Just receive it for what it is and enjoy some "off-season" football.

This is not the NFL. It is not trying to compete with the NFL.

This is a 10-week season February thru April. It doesn't conflict with the NFL or MLB.

I don't care who the football players are, where they are from, where they are going. I want to see quality football. This includes quality coaching. I am very excited about seeing Spurrier, Singletary, Martz and Erickson coaching again.

I like high school football.
I like college football.
I like professional football.

Hopefully I will like the AAF and the brand of football they bring us.

I wish I could remember where I read it. But I did read that kids out of high school can enter this league. That could be real interesting. Think about a kid who has talent but doesn't want to go to college and wants to get paid to play right away with the possibility of getting to the NFL sooner.

Reactions: Cat Box and Gene K.
Jordan Westerkamp on Atlanta. If the knee is fully recovered this is an audition for the fall.

Reactions: Cat Box
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT