ADVERTISEMENT

7A by the numbers

Cross Bones

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2001
1st off I want to say I hate this class. There are far too many schools that move in and out, it makes tracking it a nightmare.

There are 119 schools that competed in 7A since it's inception in 2001.

Determining the king of the class would require me to develop some sort of point system that I didn't want to do. But it's between Prospect, Lake Zurich, Mt Carmel, E St Louis, and Wheaton South

13 different schools came home with a championship while 11 different schools were runner up, and 18 total schools have walked away with hardware.

30 schools have a winning record and 33 were winless.

Plainfield schools fared much better with a 7 and 13 record combined

7AWLChampRunner up
Highland Park
3​
9​
Buffalo Grove
4​
5​
Harlem
4​
16​
G'brook N
5​
11​
Elk Grove
5​
8​
Loyola
4​
4​
Romeoville
0​
2​
Prospect
25​
10​
3​
E St. Louis
30​
12​
2​
Dunbar
1​
3​
Hersey
4​
8​
B'Brook
4​
3​
Libertyville
21​
13​
1​
1​
Mt Carmel
25​
6​
2​
1​
Alton
0​
7​
Hinsdale S
6​
4​
Rockford E
2​
3​
United
0​
1​
BVW
2​
11​
Pekin
3​
8​
St Rita
27​
11​
1​
Mather
0​
2​
G'bard W
25​
9​
2​
1​
McHenry
4​
8​
Belvidere
4​
6​
Morgan Park
11​
7​
Lake Forest
0​
2​
Edwardsville
18​
9​
2​
St. Pats
2​
4​
Shepard
0​
3​
Deerfield
4​
5​
Hubbard
3​
3​
Zion Benton
1​
2​
Hononegah
9​
16​
Lake Zurich
37​
16​
1​
4​
Mundelein
0​
2​
Maine West
1​
4​
St Charles N
9​
12​
1​
Young
0​
4​
Stagg
3​
2​
Simeon
5​
7​
Marian Cath
1​
3​
Oswego
9​
5​
1​
Ofallon
7​
8​
Antioch
1​
2​
Woodstock
2​
5​
Grayslake
1​
1​
R Meadows
4​
13​
Quincy
0​
4​
Bradley
6​
12​
Downers N
10​
7​
Batavia
14​
8​
1​
Moline
2​
9​
Cary Grove
14​
5​
2​
Crystal Lake S
8​
6​
Guilford
1​
7​
Jacobs
3​
9​
Addison Trail
2​
4​
Vocational
0​
2​

Reactions: RockSoup
CoM
10​
9​
St Charles E
4​
6​
Boylan
13​
6​
1​
Oak Lawn
0​
1​
Marist
1​
1​
Niles ND
0​
2​
Larkin
0​
1​
Benet
11​
9​
Providence
9​
3​
1​
Plainfield S
2​
3​
Thornton
3​
6​
Wheeling
0​
2​
Fenwick
8​
7​
De Le Salle
3​
2​
WWS
25​
7​
2​
2​
St. Laurence
0​
3​
Willowbrook
7​
6​
Wheaton N
9​
8​
Reavis
2​
5​
Geneva
10​
7​
1​
Granite City
0​
3​
Lincoln Park
0​
7​
Proviso E
1​
1​
Steinmetz
0​
1​
TF South
0​
5​
Bogan
0​
1​
Plainfield N
5​
7​
1​
LWE
12​
7​
1​
LWC
3​
5​
Minooka
3​
2​
S Elgin
0​
1​
Iggy
0​
1​
Schaumburg
3​
4​
Elgin
0​
1​
Taft
0​
1​
BVE
3​
1​
Eisenhower
1​
3​
Andrew
1​
6​
Conant
1​
2​
Streamwood
0​
1​
Huntley
0​
1​
Plainfield C
0​
1​
Schurz
0​
1​
Oswego E
1​
2​
Plainfield E
0​
2​
Niles N
2​
2​
Auburn
2​
3​
LWN
0​
1​
Normal
6​
6​
G'bard N
2​
4​
Maine South
1​
1​
LWW
3​
4​
Thornwood
0​
2​
Hoffman Est
0​
2​
Nazareth
9​
1​
1​
1​
G'bard E
1​
1​
DeKalb
0​
2​
Phillips
2​
1​
Yorkville
1​
1​
Grant
0​
1​

Last edited:
Reactions: RockSoup
You're right that 7A is hard to track. To take my favorite example, MC seems like a natural fit in 7A, but it didn't win a 7A title until 2013. The year before, in 2012, the Caravan had an 8A win and in 2002, the year immediately after the immaculate inception, they took their second 6A crown. So Carmel, like a lot of teams, has been in and out. I expect even more upheaval this year.

Cary numbers would be better, but we dropped to 6A.
It's easy to tell who did what with their opportunities by looking at their losses vs their trophies. So C-G with 5 7A appearances and 2 R-U's is a good showing. I hesitate to assume any schools continue on streaks like that because I am noticing ebbs and flows. Looking at bracket after bracket for a few days in a lot of cases you can literally see a school improving just by looking at the numbers and inversely you can see others slipping. Look at Prospect for example. Theres even value in the losses. Theres some schools with not so good records, but year after year theyre making the post season. It tells me they find a way to get those 5 which is better than not getting the 5 even if they are out the next week.

It has really been an experience.

Tells me LZ always had an easy path to the finals.
The North burbs actually look to be the strongest region in 7A. Even when they got rid of the regional seeding and it's spread out amongst a number of teams. Plus LZ has some good wins under their belt.

They played them 4 ties in 20 years. I'd suggest you not let emotion cloud your thinking. Where shall we start?

2002 - all good until they get to Prospect, after playing wold-beaters like Mundelein, McHenry and Libertyville.

2006 - the next time they did anything - Lake Forest, Deerfield, Rockford - then they beat prospect, only to lose to Rita.

The next year, Wheeling, Meadows, Rockford again then WWS - a title for them.

2009 - Meadows, Crystal Lake, Wheaton Noth then losing to Glenbard W.

2010 - Mt. Prospect, Simeon,Rita then lost to Wheaton (W. Warrenville South.

I could go on and on, but to make it easier to digest, they beat Titans such as Rockton and Rockford, Elk Grove Village, Addison Trail, Harlem, Shaumburg and DeKalb.

No no, LCN, they do not have the tough path you proclaim.

They played them 4 ties in 20 years. I'd suggest you not let emotion cloud your thinking. Where shall we start?

2002 - all good until they get to Prospect, after playing wold-beaters like Mundelein, McHenry and Libertyville.

2006 - the next time they did anything - Lake Forest, Deerfield, Rockford - then they beat prospect, only to lose to Rita.

I could go on and on, but to make it easier to digest, they beat Titans such as Rockton and Rockford, Elk Grove Village, Addison Trail, Harlem, Shaumburg and DeKalb.

So unless they play ESL or Loyola or Mt Carmel every year that doesn’t qualify? I didn’t realize you were the utmost expert on what determines a tough path vs what does not? If a tough path to a title is what you require then none tougher than glenbrook north Beaton Evanston East Leyden willowbrook and East St. Louis - no oath will ever match that based on your standards so all titles are somewhat less impressive because they don’t meet your apparent expertise and standards

So what to you is a “tough path?” Where they are seeded? How many road games they play? Just assuming a team isn’t good isn’t an acceptable answer much like a previous post where you intimated a team didn’t deserve to be at a certain point in the playoffs because they got blown out.

So unless they play ESL or Loyola or Mt Carmel every year that doesn’t qualify? I didn’t realize you were the utmost expert on what determines a tough path vs what does not? If a tough path to a title is what you require then none tougher than glenbrook north Beaton Evanston East Leyden willowbrook and East St. Louis - no oath will ever match that based on your standards so all titles are somewhat less impressive because they don’t meet your apparent expertise and standards
I never said that. You just don't like being wrong.

Aside from a Rita game or two, they are not going through the Catholic league path.

You think way too much of yourself.
Nope that role is owned and taken by you. But thanks for proving my point as you choose to be judge jury and executioner in terms what you or who you deem worthy of Hugh praise in Illinois Hs football. Keep being you crusader - in these changing crazy times I like to know that somethings won’t ever change.

• Love
Reactions: crusader_of_90
I made this thread to bring us together, not tear us apart.

I was thinking about 6A and 5A, but I dont even want to consider how many schools are in and out of those.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT